Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
Ballory
Junior Member
Ballory began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Device: Tablet
Italics don't render in NOOK app

Docx to epub conversion... Italics don't render with 'original font option' in the NOOK app for tablets and phones, but ok with other fonts and on other devices. In calibre, I checked 'subset all fonts'. I noticed another epub of this same book that was professionally converted didn't even show the 'original font' option in this Nook app. (This paid-for service obviously knew something that I don't!)...What might i do to resolve this?

Using Calibre 3.40.1
Ballory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:00 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
kovidgoyal's Avatar
 
Posts: 34,914
Karma: 12669638
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
Its likely the nook renderer does not like the font in question. Try using a different font.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 23,540
Karma: 27600000
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Central Coast of California
Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Subsetting fonts may have removed Italic (if it was improperly declared and used) glyphs.
A font family can have 4 members (files):normal, bold, italic, bold italic
I have seen mismatched @font declarations (does not match the font file attributes)

Don't embed any fonts and see if the device renders italic (in the proper places )

If that works
You need a fresh (full sets) version of that font family member to embed. DO NOT subset
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
Ballory
Junior Member
Ballory began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Device: Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Its likely the nook renderer does not like the font in question. Try using a different font.
Do you mean change the font in Nook, or on docx or can it be changed in Calibre? Changing it in Nook doesnt help the unsuspecting reader. Oh, the default font is 'Times New Roman'.
Ballory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Ballory
Junior Member
Ballory began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Device: Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Subsetting fonts may have removed Italic (if it was improperly declared and used) glyphs.
A font family can have 4 members (files):normal, bold, italic, bold italic
I have seen mismatched @font declarations (does not match the font file attributes)

Don't embed any fonts and see if the device renders italic (in the proper places )

If that works
You need a fresh (full sets) version of that font family member to embed. DO NOT subset
Embedded font family 'Georgia' and 'Subset embedded' fonts. These settings substantially reduced file size from 4mb for no font adjustment to 672k…still to big for 65 pages, but all font attributes work OK. Hard to believe this Nook app has trouble interpreting 'Times New Roman' font attributes- Don't know why? …Also tested embedded 'Times New Roman' - makes big files-1.1mb compared to Georgia- 672k and the font attributes were missing. So This embedding another font worked...the 'Subset embedded' also helped to reduced file size (but this is another issue).

Last edited by Ballory; 03-26-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Ballory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 23,540
Karma: 27600000
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Central Coast of California
Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
I know what subsetting is supposed to accomplish.
I was discussing trouble shooting the issue.
First step: Vanilla (full font glyph set)
Are you sure your TNR files are complete?
FWIW does the Nook have a native TNR? Maybe you don't want to embed that (and adjust the @font SRC)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
Ballory
Junior Member
Ballory began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Device: Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I know what subsetting is supposed to accomplish.
First step: Vanilla (full font glyph set)
Are you sure your TNR files are complete?
FWIW does the Nook have a native TNR? Maybe you don't want to embed that (and adjust the @font SRC)
What is @fontSCR?
Nook app shows no native TNR, but Tried Embedding font family: Times New Roman - didn't check anything else. This was successful in the Nook app but I think Nook is showing Georgia instead of NTR. All Looks good on other apps too...FYI, I did run a check in the Calibre Editor that showed the following, but these were fixed:

WARNING: Filename contains unsafe characters****[fonts/Calibri - Bold.ttf]
WARNING: Filename contains unsafe characters****[fonts/Calibri - Regular.ttf]
WARNING: Filename contains unsafe characters****[fonts/Times New Roman - Bold.ttf]
WARNING: Filename contains unsafe characters****[fonts/Times New Roman - BoldItalic.ttf]
WARNING: Filename contains unsafe characters****[fonts/Times New Roman - Italic.ttf]
WARNING: Filename contains unsafe characters****[fonts/Times New Roman - Regular.ttf]
INFO: The bookmarks file used by the calibre E-book viewer is present****[META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt]

Last edited by Ballory; 03-27-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Ballory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 23,540
Karma: 27600000
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Central Coast of California
Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballory View Post
What is @fontSCR?
Nook app shows no native TNR, but Tried Embedding font family: Times New Roman - didn't check anything else. This was successful in the Nook app but I think Nook is showing Georgia instead of NTR. All Looks good on other apps too...FYI, I did run a check in the Calibre Editor that showed the following, but these were fixed:

WARNING: Filename contains unsafe characters****[fonts/Calibri - Bold.ttf]
WARNING: Filename contains unsafe characters****[fonts/Calibri - Regular.ttf]
WARNING: Filename contains unsafe characters****[fonts/Times New Roman - Bold.ttf]
WARNING: Filename contains unsafe characters****[fonts/Times New Roman - BoldItalic.ttf]
WARNING: Filename contains unsafe characters****[fonts/Times New Roman - Italic.ttf]
WARNING: Filename contains unsafe characters****[fonts/Times New Roman - Regular.ttf]
INFO: The bookmarks file used by the calibre E-book viewer is present****[META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt]
Unsafe chars is a warning about non ASCII in a file name (someone used a NBSP? in the name?

can you post the @font-face (s) from the CSS (I am assuming those were properly linked to the book files)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #9
Ballory
Junior Member
Ballory began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Device: Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Unsafe chars is a warning about non ASCII in a file name (someone used a NBSP? in the name?

can you post the @font-face (s) from the CSS (I am assuming those were properly linked to the book files)
This is from the CSS, if this is what you want to see.

font-family: "Times New Roman", serif;
font-style: italic;
font-weight: bold;

font-family: "Calibri", sans-serif;
font-weight: bold;
Ballory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 23,540
Karma: 27600000
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Central Coast of California
Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballory View Post
This is from the CSS, if this is what you want to see.

font-family: "Times New Roman", serif;
font-style: italic;
font-weight: bold;

font-family: "Calibri", sans-serif;
font-weight: bold;
you never told it where to find them
Code:
@font-face {
    font-style: italic;
    font-family: "Times New Roman", serif;
    src: url(../Fonts/Times.ttf)  <<the actualfilename: case sensitive
    }
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:03 PM   #11
Ballory
Junior Member
Ballory began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Device: Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
you never told it where to find them
Code:
@font-face {
    font-style: italic;
    font-family: "Times New Roman", serif;
    src: url(../Fonts/Times.ttf)  <<the actualfilename: case sensitive
    }
Got it, I think this fixes it!
Thanks
Ballory is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
font display, font settings

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Android epub app (internal links don't work) Gem777 Android Devices 4 02-27-2015 11:23 AM
Italics on Kindle app for Android rainyofthedark Kindle Formats 9 03-24-2014 09:09 PM
Epub readers don't render CSS the way it is in Sigil? Ahu Lee Sigil 16 01-24-2013 02:58 PM
Game of Thrones app keeps track of the characters so you don't have to holymadness General Discussions 19 12-14-2012 05:01 AM
360 Question regarding fonts, italics and fbreader180 app? Guns4Hire PocketBook 13 12-23-2011 03:40 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.