Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #31
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Feel free to delete the logfile if you happen to close Sigil before the disconnect happens. That way, we can try to keep the size down. If nothing happened that session, you may as well start the next session with an empty log file, in other words.
Right. I will do that.
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:26 AM   #32
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
This bug just occurred for me with 0.9.16 on macOS High Sierra. (I actually experienced this once before, but it was before any discussion had occurred and I thought it was just a fluke, so I restarted Sigil and didn't give it another thought.)

Unfortunately, I have not been able to reproduce it, but when it occurred, I was using Saved Searches to do an epub-wide search/replace. As I am trying to learn regex, I was hitting Find then Replace, checking after each button-click to see that it did what I wanted. I did this probably 50+ times in quick succession, with new tabs opening up as the search progressed so that I had perhaps 25+ tabs open. At some point I switched to the single Replace/Find button, clicking through rapidly one at a time. And then finally I started using Replace All.

I was doing this with a few different regex searches when I suddenly noticed that the Preview pane was not syncing with Code View. Instead, the Preview window stayed fixed at the top of the page, no matter where I was in Code View. However, clicking in Preview would cause Code View to sync to wherever Preview was. This happened with all open Code View tabs.

I tried closing all but one tab then reopening them, but this did not get the sync going again. When I closed the epub then reopened it, all was well again.

After this happened, I tried to reproduce the problem, but did not succeed.

I'm pretty sure the first time this happened (when I dismissed it as a fluke) I was also doing a Saved Search similar to this where I had a lot of tabs open and was clicking Find, Replace, and Replace/Find rapidly (as I said, I'm learning regex, so I wanted to make sure my regex was correct before committing to Replace All).

Now that I'm aware of this issue, I'll try to pay more attention so that if it happens again I can be more helpful

ETA: I launch Sigil by double-clicking on the epub.

Last edited by odamizu; 07-31-2019 at 12:33 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:05 AM   #33
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
when it occurred, I was using Saved Searches to do an epub-wide search/replace. As I am trying to learn regex, I was hitting Find then Replace, checking after each button-click to see that it did what I wanted. I did this probably 50+ times in quick succession, with new tabs opening up as the search progressed so that I had perhaps 25+ tabs open. At some point I switched to the single Replace/Find button, clicking through rapidly one at a time. And then finally I started using Replace All.

I was doing this with a few different regex searches when I suddenly noticed that the Preview pane was not syncing with Code View. Instead, the Preview window stayed fixed at the top of the page, no matter where I was in Code View. However, clicking in Preview would cause Code View to sync to wherever Preview was. This happened with all open Code View tabs.
This matches my experience, although I sometimes have only one / a few tabs open if I have not yet split the file. I actually thought at one point that the xhtml flow was too long and that was the problem as it was very early in the project and I hadn't split the file at all, but I was working on a pretty short book so even given the extra code for images etc. it seems unlikely. There is a 90% chance that I was also doing saved searches or regex searches most if not all of the times it happened. I definitely remember in one case I was doing regex searches in the same tab and as I progressed through the file in CV the PV panel stayed stuck at the top and didn't advance with me.

Hopefully I'll have a log of the bug soon.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
We may not need a log. Minimize Sigil and then restore it. See if the Code View to Preview sync is not broken after that. I've had no confirmation that this breaks sync on macOS, but thanks to Springbok. I can confirm that it does break the CV->PV sync on Windows (doesn't seem to affect Linux)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-31-2019 at 10:12 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:14 AM   #35
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hmm, since I complied Sigil to use Qt5.12.3 it's been working perfectly.

I have been editing an epub on and off for several days. Today, it suddenly stopped synching correctly.

Clicking in code window doesn't change anything in the preview window.

Clicking in the preview windows takes code window to the beginning of the current file.

Before I quit and restart Sigil, is there anything you want me to do?

Edit. Whops, there was an error due to having splitting a file. A mend fixed that and the sync works again. I leave this here just in case it may give you a hint for other sync errors.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:11 AM   #36
Mister L
Groupie

Quote:
We may not need a log. Minimize Sigil and then restore it. See if the Code View to Preview sync is not broken after that.
Just had the bug. I was examining an epub2 file a client had sent me as an example, so just opening tabs one after the other and looking at the code, no searches or modifications. When I opened the 4th tab, the PV stayed stuck on the 3rd tab and didn't switch to the new active tab at all. I clicked several times in various places, didn't help.

Minimizing Sigil did not fix it, quitting and re-opening the file did.

Here is the log file. I've started a fresh one in case it happens again.

Let me know if there's something else I should try.
Attached Files
File Type: txt V1sigil-logfile.txt (21.9 KB, 80 views)
Old 07-31-2019, 11:30 AM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
Just had the bug. I was examining an epub2 file a client had sent me as an example, so just opening tabs one after the other and looking at the code, no searches or modifications. When I opened the 4th tab, the PV stayed stuck on the 3rd tab and didn't switch to the new active tab at all. I clicked several times in various places, didn't help.

Thanks. We'll check it out. But just to be clear... I wasn't suggesting that minimizing Sigil might fix anything. I meant that minimizing Sigil and then restoring will trigger the bug. Every single time on my Windows machines.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:03 PM   #38
Mister L
Groupie

Quote:
Thanks. We'll check it out. But just to be clear... I wasn't suggesting that minimizing Sigil might fix anything. I meant that minimizing Sigil and then restoring will trigger the bug. Every single time on my Windows machines.
Aaah, okay, sorry I misunderstood. Anyway I just tried that and it didn't trigger the bug. :/ I also tried minimizing while I typed a bit of this reply, then restoring; still no bug (tried it twice, with an epub2 and an epub3 file).

However if that is an element it might have something to do with focus switching? I frequently switch from Sigil to block-notes for writing regexes, and on the last project occasionnally to Acrobat Reader for checking details. I am not sure whether the bug happened immediately after any of these switches but I'll pay attention.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:38 PM   #39
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Your log file showed the PV UpdatePage was rentered while waiting to load. Since that routine is not reentrant it caused PV to stop running javascripts.

So any really fast updating of tabs will cause the associated Preview to get caught trying a new load when the previous load had not finished yet.

This is the same issue that happens with minimize/restore but needs a different fix.

We will look into some type of preemption in loading Preview if that is even possible.

Your best bet to prevent cv->pv loss of sync is not to flash through pages in the tab manager, as loading a Codeview happens much much faster than loading a Preview and resolving all resources and then drawing the page to the screen.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post

KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:16 PM   #40
Klecks
Enthusiast
Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kobo H2O, PocketBook Touch HD, Tolino Vision 4
Yes - I have that problem too (on windows 7 and windows 10) and definitely using search and replace very fast (hitting "replace and search next" before the sync in the PV window is complete) did trigger the bug.
Klecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:41 PM   #41
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I pushed a potential fix to master to prevent reentrance to PV update page, that will delay a conflicting request to load a new page in the middle of a loading the previous page and then schedule a retry.

This should hopefully "fix" the speed demon approaches to loading Preview without causing cv->pv sync to break.

Those who are using test builds with debug enabled, please try a new build and report back.

This change also fixes the minimize/restore on my machine.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #42
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
... Minimize Sigil and then restore it. See if the Code View to Preview sync is not broken after that. I've had no confirmation that this breaks sync on macOS, but thanks to Springbok. I can confirm that it does break the CV->PV sync on Windows (doesn't seem to affect Linux)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
... any really fast updating of tabs will cause the associated Preview to get caught trying a new load when the previous load had not finished yet.
I can confirm that minimizing Sigil breaks CV->PV sync on my Mac.

Though I'm pretty sure I didn't minimize the window when it happened yesterday. I suspect it was the "really fast updating of tabs" that did me in yesterday. I will slow down

Thanks! You guys are amazing!

ETA: Oops! KevinH posted a fix while I was typing this. You guys are super-amazing!

Last edited by odamizu; 07-31-2019 at 01:48 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:56 PM   #43
Mister L
Groupie

Quote:
Your log file showed the PV UpdatePage was rentered while waiting to load. Since that routine is not reentrant it caused PV to stop running javascripts.

So any really fast updating of tabs will cause the associated Preview to get caught trying a new load when the previous load had not finished yet.
This makes sense and definitely matches very often my activity (when doing s/r specifically).

Quote:
We will look into some type of preemption in loading Preview if that is even possible.

Your best bet to prevent cv->pv loss of sync is not to flash through pages in the tab manager, as loading a Codeview happens much much faster than loading a Preview and resolving all resources and then drawing the page to the screen.

KevinH
I'll try to slow down if it keeps happening.

Quote:
Okay, I pushed a potential fix to master to prevent reentrance to PV update page, that will delay a conflicting request to load a new page in the middle of a loading the previous page and then schedule a retry.

This should hopefully "fix" the speed demon approaches to loading Preview without causing cv->pv sync to break.

Those who are using test builds with debug enabled, please try a new build and report back.

This change also fixes the minimize/restore on my machine.
Brilliant. Thank you so much. I've installed the new version, will try it out and let you know how it goes.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:32 AM   #44
Springbok
Enthusiast
Springbok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have tested the new build with the fix for few hours today and so far everything seems to be fine. The sync bug did not occur not even once. I will give it more time but so far fix looks promising.

Similarly to odamizu I also have strange feeling that the minimising and restoring Sigil window was not the only trigger in the past. I do not minimise Sigil window that often but frequently have 2 Sigil parallel sessions running and I switch from one instance to another.

Perhaps the fix has solved the problem in those other unidentified circumstances too. The future will show.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #45
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Glad to hear it! We will turn back off the special debug code and include these fixes for the upcoming release.

Thanks to all testers who helped track this one down. We truly appreciate all the help!

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I have tested the new build with the fix for few hours today and so far everything seems to be fine. The sync bug did not occur not even once. I will give it more time but so far fix looks promising.

Similarly to odamizu I also have strange feeling that the minimising and restoring Sigil window was not the only trigger in the past. I do not minimise Sigil window that often but frequently have 2 Sigil parallel sessions running and I switch from one instance to another.

Perhaps the fix has solved the problem in those other unidentified circumstances too. The future will show.