Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
Looking for sci-fi/fantasy recommendations

I have read many books over this last year (including the first six Malazan books) and I have come to the annoying conclusion that I have loved none of them. I liked some of them, I really liked a few of them (Tigana, Memories of Ice, Midnight Tides) but not loved.

So I am looking for recommendations! I want something I will look forward to reading at night, not something to merely help me sleep.

My four favourite books of all time are in order, Anathem, A Deepness in the Sky, A Fire Upon the Deep, Let the Right One In.

I like big concepts, interesting likeable and outsider characters.

Any recommendations?
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Warp Speed and its sequel The quantum connection by Travis S. Taylor are good. They were available in the Baen CD's a while back and should still be available via Baen I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I'll check those out. Anyone else?
Old 12-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Richard Morgan - The Steel Remains
Guy Gavriel Kay - The Lions of Al-Rassan
Stephen Donaldson - Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (ok, not such a likable character...)
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Martian by Andy Weir is very good. Highly recommended.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Here's ten books I love and would enjoy reading again, and only one from any author:

The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold
1632 by Eric Flint
Heaven by Ian Stewart
A Brother's Price by Web Spencer
So You Want To Be A Wizard by Diane Duane
The Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone
The Lies of Locke Lamorra by Scott Lynch
The Martian by Andy Weir
Redshirts by John Scalzi
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
OverHaze
Connoisseur

Speaking of Guy Gavriel Kay is The Fionavar Tapestry worth checking out?
Old 12-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If you like Neal Stephenson and Vernor Vinge, I'd recommend Greg Egan. A good place to start is his short story collection Axiomatic.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:16 AM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I have no idea if it's up your alley but Earthblood, by Keith Laumer and Rosel George Brown came to my mind. It certainly covers big concepts and a sweeping background. Keith Laumer was a master of science fiction adventure, but he was always a bit short on making his characters likeable and "human" -- and that's where Ms. Brown came in.

It's available in a large collection from Baen, pretty much everywhere.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:40 AM   #10
OverHaze
Connoisseur

Good suggestions so far. Anything in the huge mind expanding Space Opera genre?
Old 12-31-2014, 06:42 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Lensman series by E E 'Doc' Smith? Or the Skylark of Space series? If you haven't read them, they pretty much started space opera.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:00 AM   #12
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Iain M Banks and Alastair Reynolds.

For Banks, I started with Player of Games, which is the second in his Culture universe, and probably still my favourite. The first is Consider Phlebas, which is heavier going, in my opinion. They are unrelated standalone stories, for the most part, and can be read in any order.

For Reynolds, there's still a lot I haven't read, so maybe I'd recommend Chasm City as a place to start. It's a standalone story in his Revelation Space universe.

A more recent Space Opera would be Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. It swept the awards this year, and I liked it a lot.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:43 AM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
Speaking of Guy Gavriel Kay is The Fionavar Tapestry worth checking out?
It's my favorite by Kay and what got me started reading his books. It's a bit dark in places but I think he's a pretty good author.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
I have read many books over this last year (including the first six Malazan books) and I have come to the annoying conclusion that I have loved none of them. I liked some of them, I really liked a few of them (Tigana, Memories of Ice, Midnight Tides) but not loved.

So I am looking for recommendations! I want something I will look forward to reading at night, not something to merely help me sleep.

My four favourite books of all time are in order, Anathem, A Deepness in the Sky, A Fire Upon the Deep, Let the Right One In.

I like big concepts, interesting likeable and outsider characters.

Any recommendations?
One of the problems is that one person's treasure is another person's drek. Given that I'm not a huge Stephenson or Vinge fan, I don't know that my recommendations would do a lot of good. I assume that you have read the other books by those authors?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #15
OverHaze
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
One of the problems is that one person's treasure is another person's drek. Given that I'm not a huge Stephenson or Vinge fan, I don't know that my recommendations would do a lot of good. I assume that you have read the other books by those authors?
I've read everything by Vinge. Stephenson is a bit more hit and miss for me.