Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Github.com looks alright. I'd be happy to join and contribute my time/efforts/sources to the general development effort.

Different *code* branches DR800/DR1000 - usually the code is merged and the differences are relatively minimal.

In sysd/src/system.c there's method sys_is_dr800(), so it is possible to select code branches DR800/DR1000 during runtime (have to check this).

Last edited by dima_tr; 08-04-2010 at 07:08 PM.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:25 AM   #17
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
Github.com looks alright. I'd be happy to join and contribute my time/efforts/sources to the general development effort.

Different *code* branches DR800/DR1000 - usually the code is merged and the differences are relatively minimal.

In sysd/src/system.c there's method sys_is_dr800(), so it is possible to select code branches DR800/DR1000 during runtime (have to check this).
Problem there it's the poor support of git in windows.
I'm running linux myself but there are some people using windows. That's the reason I proposed a hosting with mercurial.

Well, I don't like git too much as well ;-)

Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #18
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
I prefer git and github, but that's just my preference. FWIW, my "software" is already there: http://github.com/yacoob/irex/ . Not doing anything with it at the moment, as my Irex bit the dust.
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #19
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacoob View Post
I prefer git and github, but that's just my preference. FWIW, my "software" is already there: http://github.com/yacoob/irex/ . Not doing anything with it at the moment, as my Irex bit the dust.
I prefer mercurial or bzr, but git is not a problem for me.
My main concern is that AFAIK git is not well supported in windows, so if we choose a git-based RCS/hosting we will not allow windows users to contribute.

Iņigo
Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #20
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

@Iņigo: IMHO, for testing you should start QEMU, and QEMU on Windows is not very well supported, AFAIK. So most of the developers would use DR1000 VMWare image or install everything directly on their UNIX flavour = UNIX development. Even if the host is Windows.

I see you use Ubuntu, same here
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #21
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
@Iņigo: IMHO, for testing you should start QEMU, and QEMU on Windows is not very well supported, AFAIK. So most of the developers would use DR1000 VMWare image or install everything directly on their UNIX flavour = UNIX development. Even if the host is Windows.
Let's wait to other people, f.e. Mackx?
Btw, what do you like about git? I can't understand, it looks so much ugly that mercurial or bzr in my point of view.
It's not to start a flamewar, of course, just try to understand if I've missed something about git.

Quote:
I see you use Ubuntu, same here
Not, that's a VirtualBox virtual machine for DR development.
My main desktop is Fedora 13, my servers ArchLinux, and so my laptop.

Everybody knows ubuntu is not linux, it's just marketing!
</pun_of_the_week>

hehehe
Old 08-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #22
dima_tr
Groupie

Well, personally I have no preferences over Git or Mercurial. I have to confess I still use Subversion, mostly because I have to convince my coworkers using a version control system.

My point was that poor Git support on Windows is not really a reason, while "i like Mercurial better than Git" - is
Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #23
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
I do not have any preference (I only used ClearCase and CM Synergy).
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #24
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Patch 2

While you are all discussing which CM-system to use, I continued hacking the code

NOTE: THE BINARIES ARE ONLY FOR DR1000 !!!

This is a big hack, so this patch is less mature then the previous one, so my advise is to use it on the QEMU first. (Only the dare-devils should install it on their DR1000.)
(I just installed it on my DR and it is still functioning...: )

The patch adds the following:
- Allow user configurable views (tag or recent based) (schema)
- Allows build-in views to be hidden (dr.ini)
- Allow multiple tags per document (seperated by space) (in libermetadb!)
- Allow manual change of tags, via new menu-item
- Order of user views is configurable (schema + dr.ini)

* I) The installation script adds 5 user configurable views:
1) Application: all documents of which tag contains 'application'
2) Installers: all documents of which tag contains 'install'
3) Recently Read: like the one from the old patch, but now installed via schema-file
4) Favourites: all documents of which tag contains 'fav1'
5) Xournal: all documents of which tag contains 'xournal' (you will see that I made a mistake by adding this tag to ALL files stored by xournal and not only the xoj-files, will be fixed in future release of xournal)

Since all these tags are not default added (except xournal), you need to add them yourself. So browse to SD Card/Programs/ select an icon of an application (not tap on it, but select it, e.g. via 'cursor'-keys). Now goto the menu and select the new item 'Properties'. It will show a dialog to change the tag, so type: "application" (without qoutes) and press OK. Do this for all applications Same can be done for Installers SD Card/Programs/Install (use "install") or with any of your favourite documents (use "fav1").
Note that normal documents will already have the tag "book", leave this part and add "fav1", so the tag will be "book tag1". If you remove "book" the documents will not show-up anymore in the Books-view.

If you want to add new views in Home, take a look at the provided schema files. I.e. if you want to group some documents for a project or class.

* II) The installer script (_apply.sh) also hides the Recently Added view from Home.
Code:
# Disable build-in views
gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/er/patch/ctb/views/recent/mode "disabled"
Other views can also be hidden/disabled using the correct name (see standard.schemas: books, news, images, personal, notes, recent, shortcuts, dir, search and help).

Note that this patch is not yet finished, the following is still on my todo/wish-list:
- Order of all views configurable
- Settings-item to configure hidding (and order) of views
- Documentation on how to create user views
- Allow more 'base-types' for user views
- Allow tags on folders (without interfering current views/queries)
- Make more properties modifyable on the DR (unfortunately title, subsitle
and author are overwritten by UDS when opening a document)
- Modify more documents at once (like delete)
- Tool to change tag from installation script (or other script)
- Add configurable items to mdbindex (tool that does automatic tagging during start-up/card re-insertion)
- Create east way to add 'standard' tags, or clear tag
- and the list will grow ...

Note that I make all these patches for my personal use, but others are free to use them as-is or in their own patches.

Please give any feedback on changes/improvements/etc.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MackxPatch-dr1000-p2.zip (81.6 KB, 535 views)
File Type: zip MackxPatch-dr1000-p2-src.zip (55.0 KB, 540 views)

Last edited by Mackx; 08-05-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Updated source files
Old 08-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #25
Iņigo
Guru

I quick comment: it looks like the ermetadb/src/ermetadb_file.c file you have included in the sources are the original IREX code.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #26
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
I quick comment: it looks like the ermetadb/src/ermetadb_file.c file you have included in the sources are the original IREX code.
Thanks, I was very carefully to compare every file of ctb to see if I was posting the correct version, however I did not do that for ermetadb, since it was only 1 file with a single change....

I updated the original message.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #27
Mackx
Guru

Patch 3

NOTE: THE BINARIES ARE ONLY FOR DR1000 !!!

This is also a big hack, so this patch is less mature then 'normal', so my advise is to use it on the QEMU first. (Only the dare-devils should install it on their DR1000.)

The patch adds the following w.r.t. the previous patch (patch2):
- Order of all views configurable
- Tool to change tag from installation script (or other script)
- Settings-item to configure hidding (and order) of views

So the main difference between the previous one is the extra settings dialog. Go to Settings and find a new icon called 'Mackx Patch' (I still have to decent name for the patch...). Press it and a new settings window will appear. Its use is maybe not very intiutive so some explanation.
For every possible Icon in Home/Desktop a line is shown in the list with its 'position' and its name. Note that not all lines are relevant (i.e. lastread is only for DR800). Double clicking on a line will copy the position in the 'edit-box', there you can change the position and press the Set-button.
After you have made all your changes, press Save & Close to store all changes. Go back to Home and see the changes.

A position of 0 (zero) means that the icon will not be shown. All the items in the list are sorted using the position and in that order they will be shown in Home/Desktop.

Note I only installed it very recently on my DR, so use at your own risk!

My holiday is almost over, so I will be using my DR much more for reading again (and not for programming ;-) I will check what I still need to change for my day-to-day use. I still have to decide if I want to implement the 'auto-start-last-read-document' for this new firmware. Any suggestions are welcome.

(Updated _apply.sh to properly copy the new settings icon.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip MackxPatch-dr1000-p3-src.zip (296.2 KB, 507 views)
File Type: zip MackxPatch-dr1000-p3a.zip (146.8 KB, 517 views)

Last edited by Mackx; 08-21-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Sources added, _appy.sh modified
Old 08-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #28
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Well I'm happily using your last patch and will try your latest. What would be nice if you could direct the DR to start up at the last folder you were in rather than the last document. I sometimes delete the "last document" but would still return to that folder to continue with other docs in that folder.

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:33 AM   #29
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
@Mackx
"Mackx' Extended Settings" ;-)
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #30
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Well I'm happily using your last patch and will try your latest. What would be nice if you could direct the DR to start up at the last folder you were in rather than the last document. I sometimes delete the "last document" but would still return to that folder to continue with other docs in that folder.

Howard
Hi Howard,

Nice to hear that you are still following my patches. I will consider your suggestion for my next patch (nice that you also added a 'use-case').

Marcel.