Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #46
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Title now corrected.

Don
(Moderator)
You're going to wear out your backspace key.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #47
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by thafrogggg View Post
Jake,

I would have left a review over at smashwords, but I cannot because I have not purchased it.
Yet another thing that authors should keep in mind when setting up a "FREE" offer at Smashwords. Those who don't purchase can't leave reviews (which is most often what the author is after). If you set the price to free, you get downloads, but no purchases. If you instead use a coupon code, then people can purchase (and actually see what you think the book is worth). If you use a "set your own price", you'll also get purchases and might even make a buck here and there.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #48
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Yet another thing that authors should keep in mind when setting up a "FREE" offer at Smashwords. Those who don't purchase can't leave reviews (which is most often what the author is after). If you set the price to free, you get downloads, but no purchases. If you instead use a coupon code, then people can purchase (and actually see what you think the book is worth). If you use a "set your own price", you'll also get purchases and might even make a buck here and there.
I actually just did a few reviews on Smashwords for short stories that were "free..." (no coupon required) I am always logged in, could it be that it knew I had downloaded them?

ETA- I just tried this out- went to a book I hadn't purchased (with a purchase price) and I could not write a review. I could, however, write a review on a free book I had not downloaded (or read) (I didn't, of course, write a review!). So it looks like that's another reason to do your free marketing with a coupon rather than just "free," as people must at least have gotten your book to review it.

I prefer the price with the coupon as well... easier to find again (in my library on smashwords) if I want a different format instead or my download didn't work for some reason.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 06-01-2010 at 06:41 PM.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:48 AM   #49
Jake_Drake
Enthusiast
Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Thanks for the tip. That's something I wasn't aware of, since the only ebooks on Smashwords I have left reviews for were ones I had in fact purchased. Again, thanks.
Jake_Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #50
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Did I miss it?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:35 AM   #51
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
The original post is dated 05-27-2010, 09:18 PM . It was for that weekend only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Drake View Post
In order to promote one of my ebooks I will be offering it for free from Smashwords.com this Saturday for one hour only. I haven't decided on the exact time yet. I work nights and sleep early morning, so it depends upon exactly when I get out of bed to get it started, but it most likely will be from 1pm-2pm (Pacific time). I will come on here and post the thread when it starts.

The ebook will be: Live Forever

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/11085

Be sure to register with Smashwords.com in order to download this book. It can be downloaded to your PC as well as to any eReading device.

See you Saturday.

Jake
(Jacob M. Drake)
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #52
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

so that means "yes" ?

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:18 AM   #53
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Hmm, I would have thought that giving the date of the original post and stating "It was for that weekend only" was pretty clear .

To make it crystal clear. Yes, you missed it, too late too bad, better luck next time, etc.

That clear enough?
Old 06-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #54
mores
Guru

Okay, I get the point.
Sheesh, enough already. Reads like you need to run a few laps around the block or blow off some steam some other way, like maybe pushing old people or stealing candy from children.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #55
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel

Nope, no need to blow off any steam at all.

Your reply of:

"so that means "yes" ?

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me.
"

indicated to me that you wanted further clarification so I happily provided.

Besides, you had my relaxation technique backwards, I steal the candy from the old people not the kids
Old 06-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #56
Julie Hoyle
Julie Hoyle began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks

Apologies, new to this

Last edited by Julie Hoyle; 08-13-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Julie Hoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #57
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Hoyle View Post
Hello and Good Afternoon to All,

I know I won't get much sympathy but it is hot, very humid and a tad uncomfortable here in the Bahamas.

Anyway, I'm a new author to Smashwords and really appreciate the few comments I've read here in the fledgling moments I've been signed up. That said, I would love to hear feedback re my book if anyone is interested in a narrative about a profound spiritual awakening (non-secular/non-religious) that turns my life upside down and has me traveling to India, the Ukraine and the Bahamas.

20% of the book is available to review for free and if any are interested in purchasing, here's a 50% off coupon, valid until August 7th:
BD87D

Many thanks to all for your time, patience and support.

I'm a newbie, so be nice!

Sincerely,

Julie Hoyle
Not that I'm personally bothered by it, but this is called "highjacking" a thread. You really should start a new thread about your book, instead of posting in someone else's thread. Also it will make it a lot easier for people to find it again, so they can comment.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:15 AM   #58
Jake_Drake
Enthusiast
Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle
I realize hijacking a thread is bad taste if not also rude behavior, but since I'm the one who started the thread, it's ok. Just don't do it again or I might have to remove a few fingers or toes and the last time I did that I couldn't write or walk for three weeks.

Oh, wait. Was I supposed to remove the digits from your hand and feet, not mine? Damn. No wonder it never works.
Jake_Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #59
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Drake View Post
I realize hijacking a thread is bad taste if not also rude behavior, but since I'm the one who started the thread, it's ok. Just don't do it again or I might have to remove a few fingers or toes and the last time I did that I couldn't write or walk for three weeks.

Oh, wait. Was I supposed to remove the digits from your hand and feet, not mine? Damn. No wonder it never works.
Report it to mods.
They will remove the junk.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #60
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
(snip)

Strangely enough all his other books (7) have 5 star ratings (Well. One is only 4.8). And it looks at first glance that it’s the same people reviewing them. But I suspect that it’s just because there are so few reviews. He needs more reviewers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thafrogggg View Post
Jake,

I would have left a review over at smashwords, but I cannot because I have not purchased it.
:
I have just finished this book, having gotten it during the "free sale." I am frustrated that I cannot review it, as it was offered "free" at the time, rather than a coupon for 100% off given. I also found the reviews it does have as interesting, especially as a few of them share names with the main character from the novel. It makes me wonder if the other 5 star reviewers have names of characters from your other books. Is that you, as the author, complimenting your own work?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote