Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-27-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
FRP
FRP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Mobidedrm.py wont' work with some Kindle books

I was successful in removing the DRM using mobidedrm.py on some of my Kindle books but the ones that had the mobipocket file icons would not convert. The files that did convert had generic icons displayed on the screen.

Does anyone have any idea which type of Kindle books will not work with mobidedrm.py?
FRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
301verbs
Enthusiast
301verbs began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
What are the filetype extensions of the files that worked and those that didn't?

(If you're on Windows, you might have it set to not display extensions. If so, open a Windows Explorer window, choose Options from the Tools menu, hit the View tab, and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" under Advanced Settings. Then the full filename with extension should be displayed with the icon.)
301verbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRP View Post
I was successful in removing the DRM using mobidedrm.py on some of my Kindle books but the ones that had the mobipocket file icons would not convert. The files that did convert had generic icons displayed on the screen.

Does anyone have any idea which type of Kindle books will not work with mobidedrm.py?
Welcome to MobileRead, frp.

If its a topaz book, it won't work.

Thats the extent of my knowledge, but others will chime in soon with more info.

In the meantime, enjoy the forums and continue to ask questions and scour the forums.

Oh.........have you downloaded any of the great books we have here?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
FRP
FRP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
All my Amazon ebooks have the .azw file extensions except for three which have the .tpz extension. I know that the topaz format cannot be deDRMed but I thought the .azw would.
FRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
All mobipocket-type Amazon ebooks should deDRM OK (unless they're already DRM-free). Mobipocket type have 'BOOKMOBI' as the 56th to 63rd characters -- use a hex editor, or even just open (don't save!) in a text editor and see if BOOKMOBI appears very near the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRP View Post
All my Amazon ebooks have the .azw file extensions except for three which have the .tpz extension. I know that the topaz format cannot be deDRMed but I thought the .azw would.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert