Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Write with water and see your words disappear

Ok, this is a bit weird. But you might find it interesting.
Some days ago, I visited an art exhibition. In it, I found some pictures about this Chinese guy who was writing with water over a stone.
Well, I was not even impressed, this was a contemporary art exhibition after all. On a side note, however, the artist explained that when he was a kid, his family was so poor his father taught him to practice his calligraphy with a brush soaked in water. I guess in the West he might as well have used chalk and a blackboard. As an a adult, he recovered this habit to write his diary. The way I see it, this is some kind of meditation.
Anyway, I thought it would be cool to try it, but this water/brush/stone seemed too cumbersome for me and I forgot about it. Until last night, when this idea came to me: I could use my wireless keyboard. Connected to nothing, of course.
I tried it and I liked it. From my point of view, it works better (no, just differently) form a regular journal because in this way you just let it all go.
I thought maybe someone would find this interesting. Give it a try. Just make sure nobody is watching, we don't want anyone ending up in an institution.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:33 AM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
It's an interesting idea. Which could also be accomplished similarly by...

a) Typing with the computer/laptop off.
b) Graffitiing with the Palm off.
c) Typing with the computer on, but somewhere where it will never save (try cat > /dev/null on a *nix box for fun!)

I'll have to try it sometime.

And on the institution note, I agree. It's better to be sent to an institution for something really flashy.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I'm a big fan of reading my old journal entires. It's cool for me to see what was bothering me then or where I was in the journey. By looking back in this way I can attempt to measure my progress on the path.

"The measure of success is not whether you have a tough problem to deal with, but whether it's the same problem you had last year."
--John Foster Dulles
1888-1959, former U.S. secretary of state.

Plus, I like reading my old journal entries, but I hate writing and I'll be damned if I'm going to go through the process of writing and have nothing to show for it. (Although, it's probably meditative and will help me get over this phenomenal "writer's block".)
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #4
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
I tried it and I liked it. From my point of view, it works better (no, just differently) form a regular journal because in this way you just let it all go.
I thought maybe someone would find this interesting. Give it a try. Just make sure nobody is watching, we don't want anyone ending up in an institution.
That is an interesting idea. Lately I've been reading a bit about Buddhism and they talk a lot about letting go when meditating. I can see how something like this would be therapeutic even for people who don't meditate. As you type out your day's frustrations they disappear into the ether. Talk about letting go of attachments
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:17 PM   #5
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
It's an interesting idea. Which could also be accomplished similarly by...

a) Typing with the computer/laptop off.
b) Graffitiing with the Palm off.
c) Typing with the computer on, but somewhere where it will never save (try cat > /dev/null on a *nix box for fun!)

I'll have to try it sometime.

And on the institution note, I agree. It's better to be sent to an institution for something really flashy.
Yeah, actually, before thinking about my portable keyboard, I thought of typing with the computer on, but "somewhere where it will never save", then off, then just with the keyboard.
You can also use a pen with no ink, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride Of Lions
I'm a big fan of reading my old journal entires. It's cool for me to see what was bothering me then or where I was in the journey. By looking back in this way I can attempt to measure my progress on the path.
Yeah, me too. This is not supposed to replace a regular journal. It's just that I think that maybe some thoughts are inhibited in the usual process of writing a journal.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert