Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
mini 2 user

Lately I'm enjoying reading from my IPad2 mini.
After the 2, they made a mini 3 and 4 after, but since my mini 2 will be for reading books, and seeing live music (aka, low power programs), I went with the 2.

The 3 was discontinued, and the 4 seems almost identical to the 2, save for faster CPU, faster and more ram, and more SSD space.

All of that I don't need to read books.

The mini 2 actually lasts longer on battery, and cost me $150 (for the 16GB version, which is more than enough for several games, and a hundred books); vs the mini 4, which supposed to have 10% less battery life, and would cost me 5x more expensive.

I think I did a good purchase.
Just noticed too late it was the 16GB vs the 32GB I wanted, but apple apps consume a lot less memory than android apps.

I also have LTE 4G on it. But all of those feats are turned off.
The LTE should help with google maps, as it can give a slightly more accurate position than the wifi only tablet (mini has no GPS).
But I don't really need it.

With it all turned off, and screen brightness to the minimum, and set for night reading (screen turns more warm or reddish), the tablet lasts well over 15 hours (about 5-8% per hour of battery drain)!

Very satisfied with it!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
I've had the mini 4 for over a month now. For me getting the 4 with 128 GB SSD space was a no brainer. My old ipod touch was fillled over capacity (32 GB) so I sold that. The new ipad 4 now holds all my music. I also use it for ebooks, reading comics and streaming music.Best Buy still has these going for $399.
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2017, 01:59 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Also has TouchID which is nice if you use it for banking apps and have reason to use passcode to unlock.

But it sort of looks like we might not see another mini. I think demand for this size has gone down since for many people 5.5" iPhone makes it redundant. At least it would for me.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:00 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Also has TouchID which is nice if you use it for banking apps and have reason to use passcode to unlock.

But it sort of looks like we might not see another mini. I think demand for this size has gone down since for many people 5.5" iPhone makes it redundant. At least it would for me.
I hope that is not the case. I use my iPad mini for reading on the go (i.e. lunch, dr office that sort of thing). I will sometimes read on my iPhone 7 plus, if I'm standing in line, but it's really too small for me to read comfortably. I do most of my reading on an iPad Pro.

I like to use the right tool for the right job.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I hope that is not the case. I use my iPad mini for reading on the go (i.e. lunch, dr office that sort of thing). I will sometimes read on my iPhone 7 plus, if I'm standing in line, but it's really too small for me to read comfortably. I do most of my reading on an iPad Pro.

I like to use the right tool for the right job.
When I bought my iPad Pro 9.7, I decided to keep my iPad Mini 2 for reading. I find I rarely use it though as I just use the iPad Pro 9.7. I never carry my iPad Mini 2 out of the house, so if I'm at a doctor's office or some other location in public I just read on my iPhone 7. I had an iPhone 6 Plus but after 2.5 years I was tired of carrying that large thing around. I wanted the smaller non-Plus model. I really don't have an issue reading on the iPhone 7 assuming it is just for a little while. I know if you have a purse or briefcase to carry the Mini around in then it is a better choice, but I don't use a purse or briefcase.
Advert
Old 05-11-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I use my mini 2 for reading , I like the size as well. Just got an Ipad Air 2, but I use that for other things. I hope they keep making the mini's. I'll bring a Kindle e ink and the mini on trips. I leave the Air 2 at home. I like having a smaller Iphone , I don't read on it though.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
When I bought my iPad Pro 9.7, I decided to keep my iPad Mini 2 for reading. I find I rarely use it though as I just use the iPad Pro 9.7. I never carry my iPad Mini 2 out of the house, so if I'm at a doctor's office or some other location in public I just read on my iPhone 7. I had an iPhone 6 Plus but after 2.5 years I was tired of carrying that large thing around. I wanted the smaller non-Plus model. I really don't have an issue reading on the iPhone 7 assuming it is just for a little while. I know if you have a purse or briefcase to carry the Mini around in then it is a better choice, but I don't use a purse or briefcase.
I normally wear a scott-evest so carrying the iPad mini is no problem. 20 years ago, reading on a iPhone wasn't a problem either, but I'm old enough that I need reading glasses for the iPhone, while I don't need them for either iPad.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I normally wear a scott-evest so carrying the iPad mini is no problem. 20 years ago, reading on a iPhone wasn't a problem either, but I'm old enough that I need reading glasses for the iPhone, while I don't need them for either iPad.
I hear you. I've been wearing progressive focal lenses for 20+ years! I definitely think the Mini has the best screen for reading, and the best size for holding a long time. Fortunately, given the same size text I can still read for an hour or so on my iPhone 7, but I have to turn the page a LOT. Back in the 1990s I often read on my Palm Pilot with 160x160 px screen. Pretty sure I couldn't do that now!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #9
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The price of the mini is very good nowadays!
It has my entire Kindle library on there (about 100 books), and a few games and apps.
I got the 32 GB version, and am very happy with it.

Turning off wifi and cellular network, while using the Ultra dark settings like found here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=285069

Helps me to maintain battery life.
I can go a weekend on vacation somewhere without needing to charge my ipad, and read 8 hours a day easily.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote