Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 01-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
semioticwafture
Enthusiast
semioticwafture began at the beginning.

Device: none
MP3 player with MTP and Ogg support

Hi

Has anybody seen an MP3 player that supports both MTP and Ogg Vorbis?

I want MTP because I assume that will prevent the player having to have a long delay every time you transfer some files for it to re-index the files on disk.

I want Ogg Vorbis support because I have a lot of Ogg files, because I like to support software freedom.

I was hoping the latest clip jam would do it, but it seems those don't support MTP.

Other wishes:
  1. Reasonably good UI (especially: well-designed lock, volume control, and per-track last-played position memory)
  2. Reasonable cost
  3. Small physical size
  4. Good battery life
  5. Available on amazon.co.uk

I appreciate any pointers here, I've not even found any players that advertise MTP support so far!
semioticwafture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by semioticwafture View Post
Hi

Has anybody seen an MP3 player that supports both MTP and Ogg Vorbis?

~~~~~~~

I appreciate any pointers here, I've not even found any players that advertise MTP support so far!
The last Sansa Clip to support MTP and Ogg was the Clip Zip. The Clip+ and Clip also support it, but all three of these models have been discontinued. You might be able to get some new, refurb, or used ones at Amazon.

See this thread -- Sansa Clip Comparison -- for specs and discussion.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
semioticwafture
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The last Sansa Clip to support MTP and Ogg was the Clip Zip. The Clip+ and Clip also support it, but all three of these models have been discontinued. You might be able to get some new, refurb, or used ones at Amazon.

See this thread -- Sansa Clip Comparison -- for specs and discussion.
Thanks. I think I'm not prepared to spend as much as I see those selling for for a discontinued product, given the reliability of this kind of device I've experienced in the past.

I wonder if anybody has found anything new?
Old 01-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Thanks. I think I'm not prepared to spend as much as I see those selling for for a discontinued product, given the reliability of this kind of device I've experienced in the past.

I wonder if anybody has found anything new?
I haven't done any research on other brands. I have a couple of Zips and a couple of Clip+s and I'm quite happy with them. But, I'm slowly moving away from them and relying more and more on cheap no-contract Android phones ($10~$20) for my music and audiobooks.

When my Clips give up the ghost, I won't be replacing them. They're the last MP3 players I'll ever own.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
semioticwafture
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I haven't done any research on other brands. I have a couple of Zips and a couple of Clip+s and I'm quite happy with them. But, I'm slowly moving away from them and relying more and more on cheap no-contract Android phones ($10~$20) for my music and audiobooks.

When my Clips give up the ghost, I won't be replacing them. They're the last MP3 players I'll ever own.
I'm an outlier because I don't want to use an android phone (nor an iphone). Maybe one that runs Debian or similar some day (or if the rest of society forces me into it)... but not as my audio player because I don't want wireless connectivity on that right now (I've no objection to that, only to the current faily security situation)
Advert
Old 01-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I don't know about MTP, but the AGPTek G05 and G05W support OGG files.

I have the G05W, which is the Bluetooth version. It's very similar to the Clip Zip and has great battery life. I've only used it with the internal memory.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
semioticwafture
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I don't know about MTP, but the AGPTek G05 and G05W support OGG files.

I have the G05W, which is the Bluetooth version. It's very similar to the Clip Zip and has great battery life. I've only used it with the internal memory.
Thanks

As far as I can tell it doesn't support MTP. I suspect it's a support burden for them. Certainly the older AGPTek player I have (higher aspect ratio device, A02S?) does not have MTP, but does support Ogg.

I could be wrong, I don't have specs for it. If you wade through the config menu you could find out for sure?
Old 01-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks

As far as I can tell it doesn't support MTP. I suspect it's a support burden for them. Certainly the older AGPTek player I have (higher aspect ratio device, A02S?) does not have MTP, but does support Ogg.

I could be wrong, I don't have specs for it. If you wade through the config menu you could find out for sure?
I would, but I don't know where to look.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #9
semioticwafture
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I would, but I don't know where to look.
For the config menu or the MTP option?

On my AGPTek the config menu is the traditional cog icon, in the top level menu.

I don't know where an MTP option would be. Traditional method favoured by geeks everywhere is to look at every menu item, depth first ;-) Anything else risks not knowing about a configuration parameter.

(That's a joke, but also, the sad truth)
Old 01-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I don't see anything in the settings that would relate to MTP. The menu items there are rather sparse.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #11
semioticwafture
Enthusiast

Thanks - as expected :-(

Tags
mtp, ogg