Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 07-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #46
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I think that the syncing requires that you sync with a mac or pc rather than via iCloud. Apple doesn't put audiobooks in iCloud.
Bummer. Apple's web site makes it sound like iBooks will remember your last listening position and sync across devices, but maybe that's only for audiobooks you buy from them. I did try it last night with a DRM-free mp3 audiobook, but it didn't work :(
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #47
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It certainly would be nice if they did sync across devices for all audiobooks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #48
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, that was unexpected.

I've been using a simless iPhone 7S as my in car listening device. I have a playlist of mp3 audiobooks (audible audiobooks that I converted to mp3 so I can put them in a playlist to listen to in my car) that I listen to via the music app. My sister lost her phone and asked me if I had a spare, so I said sure. I figured that I could listen on my regular iPhone (also a 7S) until I get around t picking up a new ipod touch. So before, I wipe the phone that I'm giving to my sister, I went to my regular phone and pull up the same title in the audible app, figuring to fast forward to the right spot. It started in just the right spot.

What the heck? How did that happen? Somehow it synced between the two versions via wifi.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #49
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Picked up a new iPod touch this morning. My car just doesn't handle using the iPhone via bluetooth and audible well. Since audiobook files (including mp3 files) aren't stored in iCloud, the only way to put mp3 audiobooks on my iPhone and have them available as a playlist in music is to turn off iCloud, something I don't want to do.

I suppose if I had carplay, it would all just work, but, I'm really not willing to buy a new car just to get carplay. A $400 iPod Touch is much, much cheaper.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #50
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
... I went to my regular phone and pull up the same title in the audible app, figuring to fast forward to the right spot. It started in just the right spot.

What the heck? How did that happen? Somehow it synced between the two versions via wifi.
Wow! This happened with the Audible app or the Apple music app?
Advert
Old 07-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #51
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

This happened in the Audible app, though it was a title that was loaded via the iTunes rather than downloaded directly from Audible to the device. The flip side (and the reason I went back to having a car iPod Touch) is that each time I started it in Audible, it restarted in the same place, not where I had paused it in the Audible app. Basically, each time I exited the audible app and brought up a different app, it restarted back in the original spot.

I theorize that the bookmarks for iTunes loaded files are tied to the title up through to the period (i.e. "Legend_ Drenai, Book 1 (Unabridged).mp3" is bookmarked as "Legend_ Drenai, Book 1 (Unabridged)").
Old 07-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #52
odamizu
just an egg

Thanks for the details! That is so bizarre.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:51 AM   #53
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you have a WiFi connection, Audible will sync Audible downloaded books loaded from ITunes with Audible apps. If you use a program that removes the DRM, this will not happen. I don't know what happens with non Apple products as I'm an Apple snob (for cause). So, PWalker, I was pretty amazed that yours synced!!

I have two older models of I touch. I'm gradually being shut out of apps by app manufacturers. So long as the app for Ebay works, I'm fine. The older one sits in its slot by my bed. Alarm clock, nighttime white noise, daytime music or audio book.

Last edited by Tarana; 07-31-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:50 PM   #54
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

To revive an older thread, I finally found a third party solution to getting Apple Car Play for my 2016 Honda Pilot. I've scheduled installation for Feb. 1st, so we shall see how it goes. With luck, this will give me a solution to reliably allowing me to manage my audiobook playlist in my car. My current solution, converting them to mp3 and managing them via iTunes, works most of the time, but it will lose track of where it's at in a book and the music app will reset, sending me to a different playlist and starting the current book back at the beginning. It doesn't happen often, but often enough to be frustrating.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #55
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I keep my audiobooks on my Onkyo DP-X1A. It is Android based and has WIFI. This allows me to download different Apps to play music and Audiobooks. I have Sonos in my store, so having Audible seamlessly keep me current on the audiobook I am listening to is great. After listening via Sonos, I switch to the Audible App for the drive home and it picks up right where I left off.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I keep my audiobooks on my Onkyo DP-X1A. It is Android based and has WIFI. This allows me to download different Apps to play music and Audiobooks. I have Sonos in my store, so having Audible seamlessly keep me current on the audiobook I am listening to is great. After listening via Sonos, I switch to the Audible App for the drive home and it picks up right where I left off.
Apache
Dang, that's one expensive audio player. I use a $10 Android phone.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #57
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I use it all day at work and when I am driving. I hate commercial radio with a passion. I like it because I has 64 GB built in and can take two Micro SD cards of up to 256 GB each. I have 200 GB in each. I keep audiobooks on one and music on the other and neither is close to being full. I also do not like being tied into iTunes so I went with this. And the best thing was I used my Am Ex points to get it, so no money left my hands.
Apache
Old 01-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #58
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

I have three major requirements for audiobooks in the car
1) playlist - I want to set the order of the audiobooks and I want to move automatically to the next book in the list when one book ends.
2) I want to app to remember where it was on a given audiobook
3) I want it to be reliable

Some of my issue is the imperfect connection between my iPhone and the car's entertainment system, some of it is Apple's insistence that one should use Car Play.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #59
Apache
Readaholic

One reason I disliked having Apple products is the fact that they always insist that you do it their way. That is why I ditched my iPod for the Onkyo. I also ditched my iPhone years ago for the same reason. I still have to mess with iPhones because my wife still uses one. I never did like being told there was only one way to do things.
Apache
Old 01-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #60
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Well, it's not really so much about Apple's one true way. There is no reason that a particular app can't support playlists for audiobooks. From that point of view, audible/Amazon is as much to blame since the audible app doesn't support playlist.

Currently, the real issue is the interaction between the car entertainment console and the music player. The Console only supports controlling the music app via the console, which limits me quite a bit. If I was just talking about the iPhone/whatever itself, then both the books app and the audible app is more than adequate.