Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
holocen
holocen began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite 1
How to Downgrade PW 1 ca from 5.6.1.1 to 5.3.3 and maybe PW2

How to Downgrade Paperwhite 1 Canada from 5.6.1.1 to 5.3.3

Download earlier update file from Amazon: Kindle Paperwhite 1 Update 5.3.3
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...ndle_5.3.3.bin
Disable wifi on your Paperwhite 1 (airplane mode).
Connect your Kindle Paperwhite 1 to your computer (DO NOT DISCONNECT UNTIL LAST STEP!).
Copy the bin file you downloaded in step 1 to root folder of PW1.
Wait at least 2 minutes after copy has completed.
Push and hold power button until your PW1 restarts (the led blinks orange and light turns on at the screen).
Wait until the PW1 has installed the upgrade (really a downgrade).
Now you can DISCONNECT from your computer.

Tested and working on Paperwhite 1 I assume it should work on Paperwhite 2.

Original article:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...comment-143579
All credits goes to David!

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-09-2016 at 06:52 PM. Reason: -- Stripped the erroneous prefix
holocen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
dongqiyer
dongqiyer began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Have your PW1 get jailbreaked before downgrading? It seems that my PW2 downgrading from FW 5.6.2.1 to 5.4.3 doesn't work.
dongqiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongqiyer View Post
Have your PW1 get jailbreaked before downgrading? It seems that my PW2 downgrading from FW 5.6.2.1 to 5.4.3 doesn't work.
As described, having a jail break (certificate) installed should not matter, the post describes using an Amazon update package.
The Amazon packages are signed with Amazon's certificate keys, not ours (which is what our 'jail break' is, a signature certificate).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holocen View Post
- - - -
Original article:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...comment-143579
All credits goes to David!
A very similar method is described here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...70&postcount=1
Old 08-24-2015, 10:16 PM   #5
dongqiyer
dongqiyer began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
As described, having a jail break (certificate) installed should not matter, the post describes using an Amazon update package.
The Amazon packages are signed with Amazon's certificate keys, not ours (which is what our 'jail break' is, a signature certificate).
Many thanks for your answer to junior's question.
Hoping good news for FW 5.6.1 upers' JB coming soon.
dongqiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2015, 01:37 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Interesting. I thought Amazon had blocked this, a/k/a the infamous "downgrade attack" error.

Did that *only* block the Update Your Kindle route?
Did the person who discovered that Amazon gem not check the boot-time updater as well?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:54 AM   #7
holocen
holocen began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongqiyer View Post
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Did that *only* block the Update Your Kindle route?
Did the person who discovered that Amazon gem not check the boot-time updater as well?
I don't use update your kindle from menu for anything else except KUAL applications and don't have intention to upgrade to latest firmware again. The second question I don't understand.
holocen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@eschwartz: It is implemented at the recovery updater level.

Best guess is they forgot to merge the relevant parts for the non-Wario (i.e., PW1) branch of the code...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #9
LiquidHg
LiquidHg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
Thumbs up Successfully able to downgrade my PW1

I was successfully able to downgrade my US Kindle PW1 from 5.6.1.1 to 5.3.3 using this post.
LiquidHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:14 AM   #10
hiroshitran
hiroshitran began at the beginning.

Device: kindle ppw1

Thank you . It worked for my kindle pw1 US 3g
hiroshitran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #11
khromosone
khromosone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
This does not work for my Australian PW1.

Any other ways to downgrade or JB my 5.6.1.1?
khromosone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:31 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by khromosone View Post

First six characters of your device's serial number please.
Also, give links to the image packages you are using, both before (the installed 5.6.1.1 and the intended after that does not work).

Why?
This is the first time ever for such a report, I will see if I can duplicate the problem here.
Which means I need to use the same hardware model and the exact same image packages.

Last edited by knc1; 11-12-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:41 PM   #13
Shannon80
Shannon80 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by khromosone View Post

I also had a problem with this but realised i disconected the usb cable after copying the file. and before doing the upgrade. once i left it plugged in it did the upgrade no worries.
Shannon80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #14
LifeIsGood4
LifeIsGood4 began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
Whats my next step to jailbreak my PW1 after this ?
LifeIsGood4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood4 View Post
Whats my next step to jailbreak my PW1 after this ?
See the first post of the sticky thread titled: "Kindle Jailbreak Index".
Read it.

Tags
firmware downgrade, pw1 downgrade