Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 08-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #61
Pagali
Enthusiast
Pagali is on a distinguished road

Device: PC, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 4
This device looks interesting. I do buy audiobooks from Audible occasionally, but I have quite a library of my own non-copyrighted audiobooks, purchased elsewhere. Will the Echo access those also, from a server on my home LAN?
Pagali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:14 PM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali View Post
This device looks interesting. I do buy audiobooks from Audible occasionally, but I have quite a library of my own non-copyrighted audiobooks, purchased elsewhere. Will the Echo access those also, from a server on my home LAN?
No, the Echo will only access content you have stored in your Audible, Kindle, and Amazon Music libraries. You can add your own MP3s to your music library. You get 250 songs for free (not much). If you want more storage, you can get 250,000 songs for $25 a year. I haven't tried uploading any audiobooks to my music library and don't know how well they'll perform if you do. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

You can also use the Echo's bluetooth function to play content from other devices, but then, any bluetooth speaker can do that and the Echo would be overkill for that.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #63
Pagali
Enthusiast
Pagali is on a distinguished road

Device: PC, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 4
Thanks, Tubemonkey. Doesn't look like a worthwhile device for me...
Pagali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali View Post
Thanks, Tubemonkey. Doesn't look like a worthwhile device for me...
YW - and not for what you have in mind.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #65
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

What's new?

Classic Stories from Audible

Quote:
During the month of September, Audible brings you Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, performed by Scarlett Johansson and Journey to the Center of the Earth, performed by Tim Curry. Just ask:

* "Alexa, read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland from Audible."
* "Alexa, read Journey to the Center of the Earth from Audible."

Audible audiobooks on Alexa let you get lost in a story while cooking, enjoying family time, or drifting off to sleep. While listening, you can go back 30 seconds, skip to the next chapter, or set a sleep timer. Just ask:

* "Alexa, go back."
* "Alexa, next chapter."
* "Alexa, stop reading the book in 30 minutes."

New to Audible? Get started with a free trial.
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 07:03 AM   #66
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Introducing the Newest Prime Benefit – Audible Channels for Prime

Great news for Prime members. Now you can get free access to Audible Channels and you don't need a paid Audible membership to do so.

Quote:
Members can now access episodic short-form audio programming with Audible Channels, and a rotating selection of audiobooks, free with Prime

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep. 13, 2016-- (NASDAQ:AMZN)—Amazon and Audible today announced a new premium spoken-word benefit for Prime members in the U.S. Members now enjoy unlimited free access to the new short-form digital audio service, Audible Channels, as well as a rotating selection of more than 50 audiobooks from Audible’s catalog. Audible Channels for Prime now joins the growing list of all-you-can-eat benefits for Prime members including guaranteed unlimited fast, free shipping, unlimited access to Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime Photos, early access to Lightning Deals and more. Prime members can access Audible Channels for Prime by downloading the Audible app for iOS, Android, and Windows 10. To learn more about Audible Channels for Prime, please visit www.amazon.com/audiblechannels.
Welcome to Channels

Quote:
Free with your Amazon Prime membership.

Listen to original audio series. Plus, playlists handcrafted for every interest. Audible Channels, a $60/year value, is now free for Prime members.

Download the Audible app, sign in with your Amazon account and start listening today.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:11 AM   #67
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Prime members get full access to Audible Channels just like Audible members. In addition, Prime members also get access to Prime exclusive content not available for Audible members.

The Prime exclusive content consists of a rotating selection 50+ full-length audiobooks in nine different categories. Each channel has anywhere from 5 to 7 audiobooks. Content is available for streaming only. Downloads not allowed.

Prime Exclusive Channels
  • Better Than The Movie
  • You & Improved
  • For All Generations
  • Celebrity Voices: Classic Stories
  • Truly Criminal
  • Get Hooked: Series Starters
  • Dramatic History
  • Worlds Away: Sci-Fi Classics
  • Editors' Choice
Old 09-14-2016, 07:11 AM   #68
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible Channels is only available via the Audible apps for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone. It's not available for Amazon's devices - Fire, Phone, Echo, etc.

There is a workaround to get audiobooks from Channels to play on Echo devices. Start the book on an Android, iOS, or Windows device and then say "Alexa, read my book". Alexa will then start playing the last book listened to.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #69
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Audible Channels is only available via the Audible apps for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone. It's not available for Amazon's devices - Fire, Phone, Echo, etc.

There is a workaround to get audiobooks from Channels to play on Echo devices. Start the book on an Android, iOS, or Windows device and then say "Alexa, read my book". Alexa will then start playing the last book listened to.
I tried to sideload the Audible app to my HD8 and it didn't work that way either. It just said app not installed. I installed another sideloaded app just to make sure Amazon didn't remove sideloading capability in an update. Oh well. I doubt I would use it anyway.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:13 AM   #70
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
No, the Echo will only access content you have stored in your Audible, Kindle, and Amazon Music libraries. You can add your own MP3s to your music library. You get 250 songs for free (not much). If you want more storage, you can get 250,000 songs for $25 a year. I haven't tried uploading any audiobooks to my music library and don't know how well they'll perform if you do. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

You can also use the Echo's bluetooth function to play content from other devices, but then, any bluetooth speaker can do that and the Echo would be overkill for that.
I've posted this is the Lounge thread as well because it's not about Audible but TTS, sorry if that was wrong, but do you know if TTS is possible for personal document ebooks. I email a lot of mobi files to my kindle via Send to kindle and I wondered if the Echo or Dot could do TTS for those books?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:23 AM   #71
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Currently the Echo cannot read personal documents as TTS. I'm hoping that will change one of these days!

from my Galaxy S6
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #72
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Currently the Echo cannot read personal documents as TTS. I'm hoping that will change one of these days!

from my Galaxy S6
Thank you
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote