Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #46
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
The answer is simple (to the original question, in the title): If you want a SD-slot, get an eReader that has it. Thanks <insert your pet god here> there are plenty of choices, today.
I read your instruction to go to your sig and I went to your sig -- isn't that what you meant for me to do?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #47
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
No one listens to music on their cellphone.
I do. And I "cast" music from Android to my Chromecast regularly for listening on the big speakers.
Now for what I really said...

Quote:
No one listens to music on their cellphone. They listen to it on their multipurpose handheld general computing device. The key factor there is multipurpose. It is meant for lots of things. You can tell, every time you look at the screen.

Now look at your Kindle/Kobo/Nook/Sony/other, and tell me if it looks like that was intended as a multipurpse device.

I love multipurpose devices, and I think they should be designed that way from the get-go.
In case the concept eluded you. Your Android is the multipurpose handheld general computing device I speak of.

As opposed to a pure cellphone, for instance this:
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #48
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
The answer is simple (to the original question, in the title): If you want a SD-slot, get an eReader that has it. Thanks <insert your pet god here> there are plenty of choices, today.
I read your instruction to go to your sig and I went to your sig -- isn't that what you meant for me to do?
I can only assume this is a response to me. (I am the one who mentioned my sig.)

If so, you are being deliberately dense. The accepted way of reading the post I responded to, is NOT to read my sig, because... that was the response, not the post I replied to...

Here is the post I responded to, once again, would you like to read what I responded to?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
If I could figure a way to get browse my library by author, series, or genre from my kindle then get the book I want from my Calibre library in Dropbox while not at home I wouldn't care if my kindle was only a book display device and could only hold one at a time. Since I haven't found any way, much less a simple way to get my books from Calibre to Kindle without being close enough to use a usb cord I'd rather keep at least my favorites (all 2 or 3 thousand of them) in my kindle. Memory is so cheap and small in size so why not? If I had a choice between chucking memory or whispernet (any version) I'd toss the whispernet. I bet it costs more than a couple gigs of memory does and takes up more room in the device.
Now please explain to me, I am very confused -- where there was it implied that Dropbox might not a good solution since it depends on internet?

In fact, your concern is explicitly contra-indicated.

Hence why I felt safe suggesting Dropbox+calibre2opds...
Old 12-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #49
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I can only assume this is a response to me. (I am the one who mentioned my sig.)
Here's your sig I followed ...

Quote:
Join Dropbox to access your files on the go! (If you sign up via this link, we both get a 500MB bonus.)
Use Dropbox and calibre2opds to access your calibre catalog anywhere.
No, that has NOTHING at all to do with getting your files on the road. Nothing at all! How could I possibly have been so mistaken!?

And BTW, no one is obligated to respond to your whole message. I specifically responded to the "Go to my Sig" portion of your message because your Sig was on topic for this thread. I pointed out -- and am again pointing out -- that the Dropbox solution for "on the go" doesn't work when there is no Internet connection available. An SD slot, however DOES work when people want to carry their libraries with them.

Am I'm being clear enough now?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #50
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Yes adding SD Slots to Kindle be soo useful when you change eReaders... Downloading ALL my ebooks gives me a headache. I store ALL my DRM removed eBook in an External Seagate Satalite with WiFi I also store Audio Books in it & a few movies . This works well With my Fire but not the K3 its Copy Paste time sigh
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #51
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
True, Wikipedia is *only* 10GB of bzip2-compressed data to download (text-only, does not include pictures I believe)... but very little of it will be used. There are over four and a half million articles, and it would take a lot longer and consume more disk space to scrape the bzip2 archive and turn it into useful ebooks which use the less-efficient ZIP archive.
Yes, a bit over 10 GB (compressed) for just the text. Yet there are prepackaged versions of the Wikipedia out there that do not require post-processing, so you're talking about a few minutes of a person's time to queue up the download. I'm not talking about download times here because that doesn't require user intervention, but clearly it is not a grab and run situation. (It takes about 1 day at 1 Mb/s, adjust according to your download rate.)

Now it is clear that only a tiny proportion of those articles would be read. Even if you read 0.01% of the articles, that would be 450 articles. Reading that much would take a fairly determined Wikipedia devotee. Yet it would take about 8 hours to curate that 450 articles vs. a quarter of an hour to queue up that download and copy it to your device. (Again, I am only talking about the time that involves human interaction.)

Quote:
You also won't have to update them ever, whereas Wikipedia gets updated multiple times per minute...
Depending upon your interests, there may be no reason to update the Wikipedia. Many articles are already complete, so they aren't heavily modified. Clearly this won't include current events and obscure topics, but it is still more complete than most encyclopedias and even many dedicated books on the subject matter. I am quite happy browsing my 3 year old copy of the Wikipedia, albeit on my tablet (which has an app that uses those prepackaged bundles and a lot more storage). Still, there are people who may wish to do so on an ereader.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #52
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I specifically responded to the "Go to my Sig" portion of your message because your Sig was on topic for this thread.
Well, doh, it was on topic since it answers a question crossi didn't even know he asked. Crossi said that he rather ditches wireless data in favour of an extra SD slot, because he has been unable to find out how to do Calibre when away from home. Nobody will go back to the dark ages of only wired data in order to have that SD card slot. Not enough people to make the device appealing at least. So eschwartz was providing a way (in his sig) to make Calibre work when away from home. Plus he was wondering if Crossi would change his mind now that he seen the solution he couldn't find before.

Why are you beeing so stubborn to still insist that eschwartz clearly didn't know what he was talking about?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #53
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Well, doh, it was on topic since it answers a question crossi didn't even know he asked. Crossi said that he rather ditches wireless data in favour of an extra SD slot, because he has been unable to find out how to do Calibre when away from home. Nobody will go back to the dark ages of only wired data in order to have that SD card slot. Not enough people to make the device appealing at least. So eschwartz was providing a way (in his sig) to make Calibre work when away from home. Plus he was wondering if Crossi would change his mind now that he seen the solution he couldn't find before.

Why are you beeing so stubborn to still insist that eschwartz clearly didn't know what he was talking about?
Who on this forum who requires removable storage has ever indicated (as you are here) that on site removable storage and online storage are mutually exclusive? There is no "dark ages of wired storage."
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #54
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Who on this forum who requires removable storage has ever indicated (as you are here) that on site removable storage and online storage are mutually exclusive? There is no "dark ages of wired storage."
Yeah, it is called a usb-cable as the only input/output to transfer your books to your ereader / phone / tablet.

Oh, I really wish my Kindle had no wifi built in, just so I can have an sd-card in it. NOT!
Old 12-06-2014, 12:20 PM   #55
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Yeah, it is called a usb-cable as the only input/output to transfer your books to your ereader / phone / tablet.

Oh, I really wish my Kindle had no wifi built in, just so I can have an sd-card in it. NOT!
So you pretty much admit that this is a strawman fabricated by you, and that you were unable to come up with a single person (other than yourself just now) advocating not having WiFi or bluetooth?

Why waste our time with specious drivel?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #56
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
So you pretty much admit that this is a strawman fabricated by you, and that you were unable to come up with a single person (other than yourself just now) advocating not having WiFi or bluetooth?

Why waste our time with specious drivel?
Huh? Exactly which ereader sold new at the moment doesn't have at least wifi? Are you trying to misunderstand me?

post 21:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Memory is so cheap and small in size so why not? If I had a choice between chucking memory or whispernet (any version) I'd toss the whispernet. I bet it costs more than a couple gigs of memory does and takes up more room in the device.
Sounds exactly to me that Crossi rather wants extra storage and toss whispernet out the window. All I am saying is that it will be hard to convince many how useful extra big storage is if only they could live without wireless.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #57
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Once Amazon removed audio from the kindle, storage space became pretty irrelevant to me
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #58
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Absolutely. This thread smacks of Kindle fanboy-ism. It seems the argument comes down to this ... "Since Kindles don't have SD slots obviously no one really needs them."
Exactly.

Ebooks also seem to have got much larger lately. I've bought some books by Patrick Modiano and despite being rather short novels they all have about 4 MB, a German translation of Charles Dickens' Christmas story has even almost 20 MB. With ebook-sizes like this, built in memory can fill up quickly.

Anyway, I just love the luxury of having a massive library with me. Travelling home from a business meeting in the afternoon, looking forward to a couple of hours on the train. A quiet compartment with a comfortable seat, the scenery glides by, the steward brings a cold beer, I peruse the collection on my reader like strolling through a library, until I "discover" a book that wakes my interest and start to read. No hassle with any internet connections. That's a luxury I enjoy.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #59
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have lived in 3 locations in Canada in the last 7 years without internet access or cellphone access. One place I lived in seldom got radio signals, and another you had to climb up the mountain to use the radio phone. Theoretically you could use the internet dial up from the radio phone, but in practice it was about 100 baud with dropouts every minute or so.
You can't, in practicality, use drop box, download books from libraries or stores from these locations, and there are quite a few even places with communications dead zones today in the lower 48 I was told recently.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #60
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Here's your sig I followed ...

No, that has NOTHING at all to do with getting your files on the road. Nothing at all! How could I possibly have been so mistaken!?

And BTW, no one is obligated to respond to your whole message. I specifically responded to the "Go to my Sig" portion of your message because your Sig was on topic for this thread. I pointed out -- and am again pointing out -- that the Dropbox solution for "on the go" doesn't work when there is no Internet connection available. An SD slot, however DOES work when people want to carry their libraries with them.

Am I'm being clear enough now?
Quote:

Thank you, DuckieTigger, for understanding what not everyone seems to get.

I was indeed telling crossi specifically to see my sig, insomuch as he said in the absence of any way to browse his Dropboxed calibre library by genre and title and so on and so forth he wants an SD card and would happily ditch the wireless in exchange... and my sig explains how to browse a Dropboxed calibre library by title and genre etc.... thus crossi can do so on the go (since that was his stated preference) by reading my sig.

And thus rcentros's statement that not everyone is content to tether themselves to locations with internet is rather disingenuous...

I know what the real problem is. Some people happen to be in the position where they don't want to depend on internet connectivity, and there is nothing wrong with that, they may have very good reasons to be that way...
But, and this is a big but, they go crazy every time someone suggests that they personally have a differing opinion, and start screeching (virtually, in this case,) about how that's not always reasonable, and people need to stop assuming things, and my recommendation is useless because some people don't have internet while traveling...
and completely neglecting to notice that they are what they just described: a person who finds it literally impossible to comprehend that someone else DOES have internet while they travel(, which implied fact* was the reason for my offering advice in the first place).

Happens to be, I do agree with rcentros that not everyone can always have internet connectivity everywhere they go... which is an irrelevant point because that is apparently not the case here.
(And because I believe 4 GB is still enough, but that goes back to the beginning of the thread...)

* -- that is to say, crossi clearly said Dropbox was suitable in terms of access, but not in terms of browsing comfortably via folder hierarchy.