Notices

Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
adegir1952
Enthusiast
adegir1952 doesn't litteradegir1952 doesn't litter

Device: kindle touch
New FW 5.3.2.1. KT

Hi all

I just found out there by ForoKindle this new update, which has not mentioned anything mobilread.

Should we take what we have in our KT to update without problems?
adegir1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
There are no noticeable differences wrt 5.3.2, so it should be safe to update, but you can just as well simply stay with the current version.

For users of jailbroken devices:

The jailbreak stays intact, as do the modifications. (Hey, for once they seem to not have re-obfuscated the Java classes... IOW: first tests indicate that Collections Manager and JBPatch continue to work).

Depending on the amount of customizations, a direct upgrade from a modified 5.3.2 to 5.3.2.1 might still fail, but it's not very likely.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
adegir1952
Enthusiast

Thanks Ixtab for answering so fast.

I hope to have no problems
Old 03-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
adegir1952
Enthusiast

Hi

My KT has been updated by wifi without any problems
Old 03-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
In case anyone's curious about the changes with this update...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200790650

Kindle Touch Software Update 5.3.2.1 includes the following new features:
  • A new user interface
  • Whispersync for Voice
  • Enhanced Parental Controls
  • Book Covers
  • Time-to-Read
  • Recommended Content
  • Enhanced book samples
  • Navigate graphic novels, and comics

Last edited by DreamWriter; 03-07-2013 at 01:56 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
In case anyone's curious about the changes with this update...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200790650

Kindle Touch Software Update 5.3.2.1 includes the following new features:
  • A new user interface
  • Whispersync for Voice
  • Enhanced Parental Controls
  • Book Covers
  • Time-to-Read
  • Recommended Content
  • Enhanced book samples
  • Navigate graphic novels, and comics
Actually, that's incorrect. That's all from the 5.3.2 update. The 5.3.2.1 update doesn't actually say what's new/fixed/changed from the 5.3.2 update.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, that's incorrect. That's all from the 5.3.2 update. The 5.3.2.1 update doesn't actually say what's new/fixed/changed from the 5.3.2 update.
Thanks for the correction. I was just going by what it says on Amazon's 5.3.2.1 update page (linked above). I don't have a Kindle Touch, so I couldn't check for myself.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Mine must have updated this morning without me noticing.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
zzroger
zzroger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo & Kindle Touch
Update error

I downloaded the new firmware, twice now, when I try to apply it I get the message 'update failed, error 006'
Any suggestions?
zzroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Does this mean the Touch has the same UI as the Paperwhite now?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
Does this mean the Touch has the same UI as the Paperwhite now?
Yes. That happened with the 5.3.2 firmware update.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Hmmm.... I wonder if if would be worth it to get the Kindle Touch refurbed over a Paperwhite?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
Hmmm.... I wonder if if would be worth it to get the Kindle Touch refurbed over a Paperwhite?
Depends on how badly you want the light.

The touch has audio and 4GB and an ugly silver color.

The paperwhite has the light, 2GB, and is black.

I have them both, like them both, but had to put a black skin on my touch. I like that it can hold more files. But nothing beats the light on the paperwhite!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The PW also has a higher resolution screen. That makes a considerable difference, IMHO.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The PW also has a higher resolution screen. That makes a considerable difference, IMHO.
I forgot about that. Maybe that's the other reason why the paperwhite is my favorite.