Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
Gruner
Gruner has a spectacular aura aboutGruner has a spectacular aura aboutGruner has a spectacular aura aboutGruner has a spectacular aura aboutGruner has a spectacular aura aboutGruner has a spectacular aura aboutGruner has a spectacular aura aboutGruner has a spectacular aura aboutGruner has a spectacular aura aboutGruner has a spectacular aura aboutGruner has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo hangs, freezes

I have a new Kobo Glo, which works fine, except with one book.

I purchased the book from Books on Board, I downloaded it to Adobe Digital Editions, then on to my Kobo Glo.

However I could not get past page 9; the reader seemed to have trouble with it, it was very slow, then at page 9 it kept just hanging then froze.

I tried everything, reinstalling ADE, deleting the book from the Glo, re-setting, and factory re-setting.

Went back to original purchase link from Books on Board and saw the size of the download file is only 869 kb, which for a book of about 500 pages, is just wrong.

I have emailed Books on Board, and am waiting for them to resolve the issue or refund.

This may help someone who has a similar problem; hopefully you won't have to spend the hours on it I have.
Gruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't think 869kb is unusual for a 500 page epub, the file size depends more on the size of the cover image and whether the book has emedded fonts. I just bought an omnibus of 3 books which has about 800 pages total and is about 900kb.

One thing you could check is whether the book has been split up into seperate files for each chapter. Some books have the whole book in one html file, and this can cause problems for the reader. To check this just use an unzip program to look inside the epub (you might need to rename the file from *.epub to *.zip to do this).

If you do find that the .html files are very large, say more than a few hundred kb, then you might be able to fix the book by using Calibre to do an epub-->epub conversion, which will split the book into one file per chapter. (You would need to remove any DRM from the book to do this).

The 900kb omnibus book I bought had one book per html file, each over 1MB, and it caused my Glo to run very slowly while reading it. Once I split the files with Calibre the problem disappeared. Your book might have a different problem, but this one is fairly easy to check and fix.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Can you read the book in ADE?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hangs, kobo glo freezes