Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hilary Mantel wins Man Booker Prize

Hilary Mantel has become the first British author to win the prestigious Man Booker prize for the second time, for her historical novel "Bring Up the Bodies", the sequel to "Wolf Hall", which won the same award in 2009. "Bring Up the Bodies" tells the story of the events leading up to the execution of Henry VIIII's second wife, Anne Boleyn.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Good for her. I got about 100 pages into Wolf Hall before setting it aside. Wanted to like it. I recall being baffled by the excessive/ confusing use of personal pronouns, i.e. "he did this and he did that and he said this" - and it might have been referring to three different people without actually referring to them by name! Never read a book with that issue before or since.

I did find Wolf Hall fascinating in places though so maybe I'll give it another shot someday.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Justly deserved - I loved Wolf Hall, but I think this volume is even better. I raced through it despite obviously knowing the ending. Knowing it is sitting there awaiting a more leisurely read makes me very happy!
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Both volumes were brilliant, can't wait for the third and last one.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
The New Yorker magazine published an interesting piece about her in the current issue. It was published on the WEB as well. I hadn't read anything she wrote before but I will. She is an interesting and complex person.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...ct_macfarquhar
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Reviews on Wolf Hall are kind of interesting. Either readers love the book or hate it. Not much in the middle. I do like historical fiction, so I'll probably give it a look.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should give it a try. If you do, keep in mind that when she uses "He", she means in 99% of all cases Cromwell. She writes brillantly BUT her use of the pronoum "He" can be confusing, at least in Wolf Hall. In Bring up the Bodies, she used "He, Cromwell" more often.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Thank you,
I am going to give this one a try.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
datostar
Enthusiast
datostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Her earlier book about the French Revolution, 'A Place of Greater Safety' is well worth reading too. She really brings main protagonists like Danton and Robespierre to life.
datostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
You should give it a try.
Ok... You've convinced me Purchased "Wolf Hall" and I'll give it a try.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Earlier today I purchased Wolf Hall too.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:41 AM   #12
aceflor
Wizard

Good for you ! Please tell me what you thought about it when you are finished, and btw, you should definitely begin with Wolf Hall first.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
Linton
Linton began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
In the middle of Bring up the Bodies at the moment - better than Wolf Hall I think once you've cracked the "he". I loved her earlier and less well known book Beyond Black. A great plot, brilliantly and amusingly written.

A very worthy winner on the Man Booker in my view.
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I disagree with the above and think the Man Booker was undeserved.

I loved Wolf Hall. The fleshing out of sketchy historical information into fully realized narrative and the exploration of Cromwell's rich interior life was a tour de force. Bring Up the Bodies, which I snapped up as soon as it was available, was a huge disappointment in comparison.

A few general comments and one spoilered one: The historical record of the Anne Boleyn period is much more detailed, so there was less scope for creativity, and it's been visited and revisited so many times that anyone with even a mild interest in Tudor England is already thoroughly familiar with the main events and players. Well, that couldn't be helped, but Mantel also slacked in her play with Cromwell's mental and emotional life. It's not exactly the Philippa Gregory treatment, but it's not up to her own standard.

One aspect that especially irritated me:

Spoiler:
Having as a major device and denouement that Wolsey's memory was avenged by the condemnation and execution of Anne's putative paramours was cheesy and overly dramatic.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I did not like Wolf Hall, or at least I did not get all the praise. Aside from the needless pronoun obscurantism, I thought it gave too little. Despite all the time spent in his head, I did not see how Cromwell came to be the person he was. He seemed fully formed at the start; he was an enigma at the beginning, and an enigma at the end. Although we know he was the puppet masterin many ways, the way the external events are described it felt as if he were merely a witness of historical forces. You are told what happened, but left unsure how they came to be. I thought Mantel went too far correcting the popular perception. She made Cromwell too much of an enlightened man, More too much of a fundamentalist monster.

The prose is beautiful, and the way she applies modern style and speech to historical fiction is novel. But I thought the book was unsatisfying as both history and character study. I could've stopped reading anywhere after 100 pages and would have gotten about the same out of it. So I didn't bother with the second volume.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote