Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
marty1990
Enthusiast
marty1990 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Considering the PRS-T1

However, the store bothers me. I like the idea of not having to plug in the device to my computer and then loading books that way, but after browsing through the Sony's Reader store, the books seem to be lacking.

Is Google Play's eBook store on the device, or was it removed? I read somewhere that it was but isn't anymore?

If not, how easy is it to load eBooks through a computer? I use a Mac, so dunno if the relevant software would be available, or is it just simple drag and drop?

.. and finally, where could I buy eBooks from? Any recommended places? Could I use a Kobo store-bought eBook on it?

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, does it feel 'too Android-y'? I know the Nook ST uses Android, but it looks more... homely. I dunno if that makes sense, but that's the vibe I get when I see it.

Last edited by marty1990; 05-23-2012 at 07:10 PM.
marty1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I'm also a Mac user. Adding books to the PRS-T1 is as easy as plugging in the USB and drag/dropping the files to the "Books" folder or any subfolders within (must be within "Books" otherwise the system won't see them at all). I've only tried it with non-DRM books thus far, though. (IMHO, one of the best things about having the PRS-T1 is that I no longer have to use the horrible Sony Reader for Mac software to pick up the freebie books from their store and can do it directly from the device now.)

Another way to wireless download is apparently to keep stuff online at a backup service like Dropbox and retrieve them via the web browser on the Sony, but I haven't tried it myself so someone else will have to give you more details.

Yes, you can get books from any other Adobe DRM-supporting vendor or any DRM-free ePub or PDF seller (and convert books from elsewhere which are sold DRM-free or happen to become that way using tools we can't openly discuss here on MR). I have a number of my Kobo-bought books on the Sony right now.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
More info from other threads about bookstores, Kobo coupons and list of non-agency publishers...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178942
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=179019
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I really like my T1. I can find most of the books that I want at the Sony Store, but it all depends on what kind of books that you like. You can use a search website like inkmesh.com to see if the books that you are interested in are available as an ebook and if so where. I also buy quite a few books from Kobo, BooksOnBoard, ebooks.com and other websites. You can download books direct from your Kobo library through the T1 web-browser and not even have to connect by USB to download them. I also have a Mac (still using Leopard).

Google Play was never on the T1. There was a link to the public domain books on Google but that was disabled when Google Play was rolled out.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
marty1990
Enthusiast

So, since the Sony runs Android, it's easy for me to go on to Kobo Books or other eBook websites, login and download books straight to me device? That sounds appealing, since I'd effectively have the ease of Kobo Books store right on my device.
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
You can also download library books through OverDrive directly onto the device without hooking it up to a computer. You can download Calibre, which is free, to catalogue your books and format shift them. I also use Dropbox to download ebooks directly onto my device through the web browser. I love my T1. I hope that you enjoy the device!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Hi Marty,

This is what I wrote to you in your other thread.

I have the Sony T1 & the Kindle non-touch. I really like both but much prefer my Sony. With the Sony device itself you can buy books from the Sony store, Kobobooks, and other websites that sell epub books. Just because it's a Sony device doesn't mean you only have to buy from the Sony store.

There's no trick, no hacking, no mucking around with anything, no DRM removal etc. If you price out a book at Sony but it's better at Kobo, you can buy it at Kobo from the device itself.

The other fabulous thing with the Sony is that you can borrow ebooks right from your library on it.

The Kobo is buggy. The Sony isn't save for some earilier issues of multiple page flipping which has been sorted out. I don't have a Kindle Touch but have heard that Amazon has superiour service. I would not recommend getting a Nook outside the US. I was looking at a US seller of the various devices on eBay & he's gotten a whack of negatives from non-US buyers of Nooks who couldn't use the device.

IMO your choice is between Kindle & Sony. If you've got gift cards enough to pay for the device, it's a no brainer. Get the Sony. It's a fabulous little device. Some people found the bezel distracting but it's personal opinion and in a worst case scenario buy a skin for it.

As to the screen, the pearl screens are the same. They only look different because of the way our brain processess differences in the surrounding details like color or lighting etc. Think of it like an optical illusion at a Ripley's exhibit.

I say go for the Sony. You won't regret it & it's not costing you anything.

I would also add, go to Youtube and watch videos of it in use so you can see what it looks like. Look for reviews on Youtube from various sources ie individuals or gadget magazines etc.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony PRS-T1
google books can be installed with a rooted T1, but I wasn't able to run it (startup crash), and I don't think anyone else tried it, but in principle it's possible.
m3l7d0wN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Google Play Books version 1.5.4 is working without a problem... So do not install it from the market, version 2.4.2 (current market version for Froyo) requires OpenGL 2.0 - which is not available on the device...
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I really like my T1 (a bit more than my Kindle), and mainly read books from kobo - the Sony store isn't available in my country. I download those directly from their online store to my device. The only issue I've had with it is Sony's (utter lack of) customer service.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
marty1990
Enthusiast

IT JUST ARRIVED! Literally had it about 15mins. So far so good. Just need to find a decent case for it now!

Now how do I check the firmware? Would I need to update it since it's new? If so, is it an over the air one, or do I need to hook it up to my computer to update?

- found the version I have; 1.0.02.10280.

EDIT: Okay, so I do need an update. Am just going to do it through the Reader software for ease. Am charging it up now. Do I leave it on whilst I do it? And do I need to set it for Data Transfer, or will it work when it's on the home screen?

Thanks.

Last edited by marty1990; 05-29-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Leave the reader on and you don't need to do data transfer. Just start the update and follow any prompts. Data Transfer is for when you plug in to a computer to transfer data (books).
Old 05-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
marty1990
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Leave the reader on and you don't need to do data transfer. Just start the update and follow any prompts. Data Transfer is for when you plug in to a computer to transfer data (books).
Okay, thanks. Well I updated it, but my Mac didn't pick it up until I clicked Data Transfer, only then did the update pop up whilst the Reader software was open. It then started downloading, I closed Reader, and it updated. Seems fine, just dunno if I did it wrong?

Also, my Mac doesn't have the option for me to safely remove the eReader from the computer, so I just have to unplug it. Is that okay, or is there something I need to be doing?

Sorry about all the questions, still learning!

EDIT: Two more things. Is there a way that I can stay logged into the Reader store? Each time I go to it I have to log back in and it's a bit of a hassle. And I'm getting ghosting? That normal?

Last edited by marty1990; 05-29-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1990 View Post
Okay, thanks. Well I updated it, but my Mac didn't pick it up until I clicked Data Transfer, only then did the update pop up whilst the Reader software was open. It then started downloading, I closed Reader, and it updated. Seems fine, just dunno if I did it wrong?

Also, my Mac doesn't have the option for me to safely remove the eReader from the computer, so I just have to unplug it. Is that okay, or is there something I need to be doing?

Sorry about all the questions, still learning!

EDIT: Two more things. Is there a way that I can stay logged into the Reader store? Each time I go to it I have to log back in and it's a bit of a hassle. And I'm getting ghosting? That normal?
When I get home I'll check with my Mac (unless someone beats me to it). In Finder there is an easy way to disconnect the reader from the computer. I have a table top Mac. I found this. Only yours will say Sony Reader as the device:

"Open a Finder window and when the device is connected you will see it on the left pane. The easiest way to safely eject it is click the upside down triangle with a line under it that is next to the device. You will know it's safe to physically disconnect it when the device dissapears from the Finder window. "

I did have issues with logging in but that seems to have passed. I don't think you should have to log in each time. Once again when I get home I'll check it out. I don't have my T1 with me here at work (just my 350).

Ghosting occurs on all the readers I have. Some more pronounced than others.

Have you read through the user manual on the T1 yet?

Last edited by Pomtroll; 05-29-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
Cdesja5
Wizard

You should be able to get your books without plugging in by using your browser. You can put the URL of the stores you use frequently into your favorites. The Sony store is on the main menu. If you use Calibre you can load your books wirelessly from Calibre by using the correct ip address in this format:
http://192.168.X.XXX:8080/browse
The ip address is your local address, I don't have a mac so can't tell you how to find it but you could google it.
Sorry, in my previous post I assumed you had a PC...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 05-29-2012 at 03:48 PM.