Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 04:50 AM   #1
clemens14
Enthusiast
clemens14 began at the beginning.

Device: none
How do I make a "hidden" pages for endnotes in an EPUB?

Hello,

I have a indesign file of a book divided in three sections. At the end of the first section there are some pages with endnotes. I was wondering how to make an epub that allows me to navigate back and forth to the endnotes through internal links and at the same time doesn't show the pages with the endnotes after the first section of the book. The aim is to allow the person reading to continue to the second section of the book without having to skip pages of endnotes already read.

Cheers

p.s. I was also wondering if there were faster ways to create the double direction endnote links in InDesign for epub export. At present I am manually making the anchors on the superscript numbers both in the text and in the endnotes so I can go back and forth easily, but it is quite a tedious job considering that I have to do hundreds https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/frown.gif
clemens14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
That's what linear="no" in the spine would be for, but reading system are not required to "obey" it, and I don't know of any (other than calibre) that treats these "non-linear" elements differently from the rest.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
mrmls
Enthusiast
mrmls has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 950
Sony readers show all endnotes. I would add another link before endnote section "Skip to next section"
mrmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Why don't you place all endnotes at the end of the book, anyway?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yes, there's no need to put them between sections. Just all of them at the end of the book
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Actually, I like the endnotes at the end of each chapter. I have been reading a series of books where most have the endnotes at the end of each chapter, and it was nice to be able to review them when I got to the end of the chapter, instead of clicking back and forth all the time. One book in the series had all the endnotes at the end of the book, and I didn't like that nearly as well.

But, that's just me.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Actually, I like the endnotes at the end of each chapter. I have been reading a series of books where most have the endnotes at the end of each chapter, and it was nice to be able to review them when I got to the end of the chapter, instead of clicking back and forth all the time. One book in the series had all the endnotes at the end of the book, and I didn't like that nearly as well.

But, that's just me.
Depending on the size of the book, end notes at the end of each chapter will provide better performance particularly if they are in the same file. However, then you would need a jump link to jump over the endnotes. Still doable.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #8
clemens14
Enthusiast
clemens14 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the many replies.
The book I am doing is indeed quite voluminous, therefore I will try the various options you kindly suggest and see which one works best.
Cheers
clemens14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
One reason is that it avoids the reader having to load a different flow when displaying the endnote, and returning to the text. The could be an issue with a book with large numbers of endnotes.

Personally, though, I agree with you. I would always put the endnotes at the end of the book, myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
MarleneW
MarleneW began at the beginning.

Device: All
I'm trying the same thing - but to supply answers to some questions posed in an earlier chapter. I tell the reader (student) to think about these questions then to check the answers (in another chapter). They can then return to the main document. I don't want the answers page to appear when they scroll through the book to the end, or on the navigation system.
MarleneW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endnotes, epub, hidden, indesign