Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
jforner
jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
USBnetworking / Paperwhite

Hey folks,

I really need help setting up USBnetworking for my Paperwhite. There's a lot of info out there, I'm a little confused. If someone could give me a dead simple guide that would be fantastic.

I'm not a complete noob; I know my way around the Terminal (working on OS X), I've jailbroke many iPhones and consider myself rather tech literate. Alas, this USBnetworking stuff has got me stumped! So, if someone could add to this, it'd be great!

1. Jailbreak Paperwhite
2. Download USBnet
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

You get the idea. Thanks so much in advance!
jforner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
jforner
jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Anyone? Please?
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You'll get a lot more help if you ask in the right place. Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforner View Post
Hey folks,

I really need help setting up USBnetworking for my Paperwhite. There's a lot of info out there, I'm a little confused. If someone could give me a dead simple guide that would be fantastic.

I'm not a complete noob; I know my way around the Terminal (working on OS X), I've jailbroke many iPhones and consider myself rather tech literate. Alas, this USBnetworking stuff has got me stumped! So, if someone could add to this, it'd be great!

1. Jailbreak Paperwhite
2. Download USBnet
3. Install USBnet
That's all.

Reading the enclosed readme-1st and readme files would not hurt any.

See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...01&postcount=7
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
jforner

knc1 - Super... so that's it?
I have read the Readmes... but they don't say it that simply.

So now how do I access certain folders? This is where I'm lost.
Will it just show up as a drive on my Mac? One I can peruse?
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforner View Post
knc1 - Super... so that's it?
I have read the Readmes... but they don't say it that simply.

So now how do I access certain folders? This is where I'm lost.
Will it just show up as a drive on my Mac? One I can peruse?
Open a terminal on your Mac.
I am assuming OSx here -

The USBnetworking package provides an ssh server (Secure SHell).
The OpenSSH ssh client is part of your standard installation on a MAC.

man ssh
(The manual page for the client.)

Once both ends of the USB cable have been assigned an IP address - I.E: On both your Mac and the Kindle
Then the ssh client is what you will use to access your Kindle.
(of course, after starting the sshd service on the Kindle).

Search twobob's recent posts - he made one complete with pictures of how to setup the Mac end of the cable.
That one might even be in the index system now - it has had some recent updates.

How to setup the Kindle end (and how to start sshd a.k.a: Dropbear) is in the USBnetworking readme files.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
jforner

Alas, I figured it out.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201572

Thanks!