Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
ChipSuey
ChipSuey began at the beginning.

Device: none
KDP "has failed to compile the book"

Hi! I've got a bit of an irritating issue going on with an epub that validates but just won't convert to mobi (either in KDP or using KindleGen).

Here's the error that gets spit out (just the relevant part, not the whole thing)-

Info(prcgen):I1016: Building enhanced PRC file
Info(prcgen):I1015: Building PRC file
Info(prcgen):I1006: Resolving hyperlinks
Info(prcgen):I1010: Writing hyperlinks
Info(prcgen):I1008: Resolving start reading location
Info(prcgen):I1049: Building table of content URL: /var/folders/mj/yj74jv5s3v706622t0jgwdqm0000gr/T/mobi-YnVszM/OPS/toc.ncx
Error(prcgen):E24010: Hyperlink not resolved in toc (One possible reason can be that the link points to a tag with style display:none):/var/folders/mj/yj74jv5s3v706622t0jgwdqm0000gr/T/mobi-YnVszM/OPS/Title.html#
Error(prcgen):E24001: The table of content could not be built.
Info(prcgen):I1007: Resolving mediaidlinks
Info(prcgen):I1011: Writing mediaidlinks
Info(prcgen):I1009: Resolving guide items
Info(prcgen):I1038: MOBI file could not be generated because of errors!

I've searched for a solution but wasn't able to come up with anything- if there's a thread concerning this already, please send me a link!

Thanks in advance for your help!
ChipSuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Check each link in your toc.ncx to see where it points. If the destination of any link is styled with "display: none" then kindlegen may fail. Note that the "display: none" is probably contained in your css and it might possibly be applied to a tag that is a parent of the link destination.

ETA: It says the link is to "OPS/Title.html#" so make sure that file exists and check the styles applied to the top level html & body tags of that file.

ETA2: Since this is a question about kindle formats you might want to ask to have this thread moved to the forum specific to that. An expert there may be more helpful with this problem.

Last edited by jhowell; 11-18-2016 at 06:07 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:34 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
[Moved
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipSuey View Post
Hi! I've got a bit of an irritating issue going on with an epub that validates but just won't convert to mobi (either in KDP or using KindleGen).

Here's the error that gets spit out (just the relevant part, not the whole thing)-

Info(prcgen):I1016: Building enhanced PRC file
Info(prcgen):I1015: Building PRC file
Info(prcgen):I1006: Resolving hyperlinks
Info(prcgen):I1010: Writing hyperlinks
Info(prcgen):I1008: Resolving start reading location
Info(prcgen):I1049: Building table of content URL: /var/folders/mj/yj74jv5s3v706622t0jgwdqm0000gr/T/mobi-YnVszM/OPS/toc.ncx
Error(prcgen):E24010: Hyperlink not resolved in toc (One possible reason can be that the link points to a tag with style display:none):/var/folders/mj/yj74jv5s3v706622t0jgwdqm0000gr/T/mobi-YnVszM/OPS/Title.html#
Error(prcgen):E24001: The table of content could not be built.
Info(prcgen):I1007: Resolving mediaidlinks
Info(prcgen):I1011: Writing mediaidlinks
Info(prcgen):I1009: Resolving guide items
Info(prcgen):I1038: MOBI file could not be generated because of errors!

I've searched for a solution but wasn't able to come up with anything- if there's a thread concerning this already, please send me a link!

Thanks in advance for your help!
May I ask why you're using Open Publication Structure? OPS in the title file path? I suspect that this may play into it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
ChipSuey
ChipSuey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
May I ask why you're using Open Publication Structure? OPS in the title file path? I suspect that this may play into it.

Hitch

I'm using Calibre and I get the feeling it does that when a new file is created (for example, the title page) in Calibre. I could be wrong though.

(sorry for the late response, didn't see this before)
ChipSuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm using Calibre and I get the feeling it does that when a new file is created (for example, the title page) in Calibre. I could be wrong though.

(sorry for the late response, didn't see this before)
Hmph. Can't speak to that, as I don't use C for that. I use it for cataloguing, but not bookmaking. Anyone else know? Guys?

Hitch
Old 12-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Without seeing the OPF and maybe other parts of the eBook, there is no way to know what's possibly wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:22 PM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
This has nothing to do with Calibre.

This error message is typically displayed if an NCX TOC contains a broken fragment id. Usually, recreating the NCX TOC will fix this problem. It also couldn't hurt to check your book with the IDPF Validator.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:27 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
This has nothing to do with Calibre.

This error message is typically displayed if an NCX TOC contains a broken fragment id. Usually, recreating the NCX TOC will fix this problem. It also couldn't hurt to check your book with the IDPF Validator.
Thanks, Doits. It didn't make sense to me, but...I don't use it.

Hitch
Old 12-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why does Kindlegen care about the NCX when it doesn't use it?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It uses the NCX for KF8/AZW3 books.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Jon! Don't be daft. Of course it uses it. Not like you think; not like ePUB, using it as a toc.html, or in lieu; but it uses it for all the little niceties, like "X minutes left in this chapter," "Y minutes left in this book," and for the little goodies for the publishers/authors, like 'BYG," the Before You Go feature, and the "if you liked this..."

And also, yes, some of the devices DO display the NCX, rather than the toc.html. My Voyage most certainly does. (I shouldn't say, "CERTAINLY." I should say, "my STRONG belief is..."

And of course, the DEVICE uses the NCX, Jon. :-)

Hitch
Old 12-09-2016, 10:39 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Since KF8 uses the NCX, it's time to do away with the HTML ToC.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Since KF8 uses the NCX, it's time to do away with the HTML ToC.
JON. Stop making me scream. (Not in that good way...)

You know full well that the "HTML toc" is making a comeback, for all intents and purposes, in ePUB3. The NCX will be all-gone byebye. There's no NCX in our future, Jon. Only the Nav, which is...wait for it....OMG!!! It's JUST LIKE THE HTML TOC!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAUUUUUGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Now, c'mon. Make a resolution for 2017, to play nice with others and stop going whacky about the html toc. It's here to stay, for the foreseeable, sweetie. You know it, I know it, the other fun dudes and gals here know it, so harping on it will only aggravate both YOU, and more importantly, US. Curmudgeonly status only goes so far. When there was a chance thatr the NCX could win the TOC wars, sure, it was appropriate. BUT, it's like Betamax/VHS. VHS won. You keep on this way, you'll be like an Earth-is-round denier.

Your bud,
Hitch
Old 12-10-2016, 04:31 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

ePub 3 is a disaster. They changed ePub 2 in ways that didn't need to be changed. Yes, I see that ePub 2 could use changes. But don't change what works to something that doesn't really work.

Tags
kdp, kindlegen, toc error