Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
What Book ? Always looking for a 5 Star Book
I read romances so if you don't you wont like it. It's was a Harlequin. I must of read 11 other Christmas HQs and none of them was 5 star worthy but I so loved this one. I just purchased the Author's backlist. I hope all her books are this good. I call this Is this a Harlequin? moment Most Harlequins tend to be cookie cutter but ever so often I'll pick up one that is just wonderful!

The book is A Town Called Christmas by Carrie Alexander.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #32
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Same here! It's nice not to have to sync anymore.
I can't see giving up my Tablets just yet but will just have to see.
I still don't know what to do with the other Kindles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider1960 View Post
I've got say, that's my only 'slight' irritation with my PW; it does 'seem' heavier. I've just tested and it comes in at only 30 grams more than my old Gen3 - and against instinct the weight is in the device not the case.

Otherwise I am really impressed with my PW and the whole experience.
I think the weight of the PW is how it is distributed. It's very solid. I don't know how else to describe it. My K3 is the heavier of the two but it sure doesn't feel like it.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #33
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Hi Blossom. It's good to hear that you don't miss the page turning buttons. That is one of my concerns.

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #34
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
Hi Blossom. It's good to hear that you don't miss the page turning buttons. That is one of my concerns.

k4k
It's now so easy to turn a page. I love it! The bezel is nice and thick so unlike say a Kindle Fire you won't accidently turn the page. In fact I'd say with my page buttons I am horrible at turning the page while still reading. Reading with my PW I don't have that problem.

The touch is really responsive. So if you have arthritis in your hands this is perfect. It's also the perfect reader for hands free reading.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-03-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #35
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool smudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post

k4k
That was part of my concern as well. Actually I have a real healthy aversion to touching a screen with fingers. Anyway when the 2nd gen Fire was introduced at a lower price (and features were added as well) I got one. I also got a 3 pack of styluses (for $0.99 I believe) and used a stylus with my Fire. I read a little on it and kinda' got used to the screen touching page turns and such and even though I never lay a finger on that screen it's ALWAYS smudged. But the PaperWhite is a completely different thing! Even when you don't use the stylus (use your...ugh...fingers) it doesn't seem to smudge. After a day I'll bet you won't even notice what you're doing!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #36
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Added Pics in this thread for those who want to see my Paperwhite.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #37
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
I mostly agree with your positive assessment of the Paperwhite. My only 'what the hell, Amazon' moment has come on finding that if you email things (converted via, e.g., Calibre) to your Kindle address, and it's a Paperwhite on the other end, the tag is unconditionally reset to PDOC, so back issues are never archived but *also* cannot be put in a collection, so they clutter up your index more and more as time goes by. So the device both knows it is a periodical and thinks it isn't, at the same time.

This seems like something which would be fairly easy (as these things go) to fix on a jailbroken Kindle: if something turns up over the wireless link which looks like a periodical but which has the wrong tag, fix the tag... thanks, Amazon, this worked perfectly on the K4. (And do I want to send all my periodicals via USB? Not hardly. Having emailed periodicals turn up while I'm still asleep is wonderful. I'd be much more willing to use USB for regular books than for periodicals, since regular books are purchased via an act of will and turn up at intermittent intervals rather than routinely.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #38
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's now so easy to turn a page. I love it! The bezel is nice and thick so unlike say a Kindle Fire you won't accidently turn the page. In fact I'd say with my page buttons I am horrible at turning the page while still reading. Reading with my PW I don't have that problem.

The touch is really responsive. So if you have arthritis in your hands this is perfect. It's also the perfect reader for hands free reading.
How do you find the Amazon case? I've read it adds substantial weight to the device but is it comfortable enough for one handed reading, for a few hours?
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #39
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
How do you find the Amazon case? I've read it adds substantial weight to the device but is it comfortable enough for one handed reading, for a few hours?
There is a smaller, lighter and cheaper alternative to the Amazon case, with sleep function no less. Thread
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #40
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
There is a smaller, lighter and cheaper alternative to the Amazon case, with sleep function no less. Thread
Yes, I've seen the case but I'd rather go for the official Amazon case unless it has serious issues.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #41
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I read romances so if you don't you wont like it. It's was a Harlequin. I must of read 11 other Christmas HQs and none of them was 5 star worthy but I so loved this one. I just purchased the Author's backlist. I hope all her books are this good. I call this Is this a Harlequin? moment Most Harlequins tend to be cookie cutter but ever so often I'll pick up one that is just wonderful!

The book is A Town Called Christmas by Carrie Alexander.
Oh hey, set in the UP where I live!
I don't often read romances but I read that one because of Christmas, which is a town about an hour from me.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #42
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I'm glad to see this thread, I was wanting to know what you thought after you received your PW. I agree with you on every point, and am with you too on being pleasantly surprised that the screen is so good about fingerprints. MUCH prefer it to a shiny screen!

I'm so glad you're happy! I too have read even more on my PW than I have on my other ereaders - 3 books in the few days I've had it. Course now I'm back to work so it's harder....

The only thing that troubles me is the smaller amount of storage. I know, I know, Cloud - but I don't like to feel corralled in so much.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #43
miklizro
Enthusiast
miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 running Aldiko and Kindle and Kindle 3 keyboard
When my K3 dies, I am looking forward to one of those.

In the meantime I use my lightwedge with my Kindle at night.
Got the paperwhite for my son for Christmas, he loves it.
miklizro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #44
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
The official cover is great. Not sure about it beeing 100% genuine leather - Amazon says natural leather. I am not a layer, but wording it natural leaves wiggle room, imo. Also the pattern on the surface is too regular to be real. Nothing new there, have not seen a genuine leather cover anywhere. It is probably a good thing as the outer layer of fake leather is easier to clean and take care of than real leather.

One thing that Amazon did right with it is the feel and look. The color of the cover if you get non-black (the black one too) matches from the leather part to the rubbery plastic part. Yes it is heavy, especially comparing it side by side with a aftermarket cover (mine is a coffee colored aftermarket with a magnetic clasp, my wifes a royal purple Amazon) - even more so without Kindle inside. The padding behind the leather feels soft and flexible on the front and very stiff and hard on the back. If picking it up, you instantly know which side is up and which is down. The cover is self-sufficient - it completely closes all the way around without gaps (other than the cutout for the power button and usb port). So even without a PW in it, it retains its shape. On the other hand my aftermarket case does not close correctly if device-free, the back bends and needs the PW to become sturdy. My cover also shows part of the Kindle on the top, bottom, and right side when closed - not just the usbport and button. On the Amazon cover the magnet that keeps it shut (right where the metal "Kindle" engraved plate of the top cover ) is completely embedded and invisible. Side by side it becomes immediately clear that the Amazon cover is of higher build quality and meant to protect rather than just look good.

As for beeing comfortable to hold one-handed, I hear it is. My wife is on it all day long and part of the night while sleep does not want to come. If it wasn't easy to hold, than she wouldn't be on it so much. Much better than a book when it comes to reading one-handed. Before we got her first the Touch and a few weeks later our Paperwhites, she would not read. The last paper-books she bought she never read more than the first four pages. Pbooks are simply too awkward and heavy to hold and keep open for her. That was the one and only reason she didn't read before. In comes the Kindle, and now you can't get her away from it. That should tell you enough of how comfortable it is to hold one-handed. Sometimes she uses the other hand to turn pages, but mostly it is one-handed.

The cover is also very good to fold back and stick a finger in it holding it shut with the others (and than simply use the thumb for "flipping" pages). The price might seem a bit on the expensive side, but I won't hesitate recommending it. If you look for a well designed very solid build cover with a lot of attention to detail, then the Amazon cover is for you. Stick the PW in it, and it shows how they are made for each other.

DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #45
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The official cover is great. Not sure about it beeing 100% genuine leather - Amazon says natural leather. I am not a layer, but wording it natural leaves wiggle room, imo. Also the pattern on the surface is too regular to be real. Nothing new there, have not seen a genuine leather cover anywhere. It is probably a good thing as the outer layer of fake leather is easier to clean and take care of than real leather.

One thing that Amazon did right with it is the feel and look. The color of the cover if you get non-black (the black one too) matches from the leather part to the rubbery plastic part. Yes it is heavy, especially comparing it side by side with a aftermarket cover (mine is a coffee colored aftermarket with a magnetic clasp, my wifes a royal purple Amazon) - even more so without Kindle inside. The padding behind the leather feels soft and flexible on the front and very stiff and hard on the back. If picking it up, you instantly know which side is up and which is down. The cover is self-sufficient - it completely closes all the way around without gaps (other than the cutout for the power button and usb port). So even without a PW in it, it retains its shape. On the other hand my aftermarket case does not close correctly if device-free, the back bends and needs the PW to become sturdy. My cover also shows part of the Kindle on the top, bottom, and right side when closed - not just the usbport and button. On the Amazon cover the magnet that keeps it shut (right where the metal "Kindle" engraved plate of the top cover ) is completely embedded and invisible. Side by side it becomes immediately clear that the Amazon cover is of higher build quality and meant to protect rather than just look good.

As for beeing comfortable to hold one-handed, I hear it is. My wife is on it all day long and part of the night while sleep does not want to come. If it wasn't easy to hold, than she wouldn't be on it so much. Much better than a book when it comes to reading one-handed. Before we got her first the Touch and a few weeks later our Paperwhites, she would not read. The last paper-books she bought she never read more than the first four pages. Pbooks are simply too awkward and heavy to hold and keep open for her. That was the one and only reason she didn't read before. In comes the Kindle, and now you can't get her away from it. That should tell you enough of how comfortable it is to hold one-handed. Sometimes she uses the other hand to turn pages, but mostly it is one-handed.

The cover is also very good to fold back and stick a finger in it holding it shut with the others (and than simply use the thumb for "flipping" pages). The price might seem a bit on the expensive side, but I won't hesitate recommending it. If you look for a well designed very solid build cover with a lot of attention to detail, then the Amazon cover is for you. Stick the PW in it, and it shows how they are made for each other.

Thank you! That's probably the most thorough review I've read of the cover! Just a couple of things I don't quite understand really well. Do you mean the rubbery part and the leather are the same color? When you say the color of the leather part matches the rubbery plastic part. I'd probably get the black one.

And what do you mean you can fold back and stick a finger in? Folding back will be the only way i read if i get the case. I dont quite understand what you mean by i can stick a finger in and hold it shit. I was thinking four fingers will be behind the device, resting on the cloth interior of the case with the thumb on the bezel to flip pages.

Thank you again for this post! I daresay you've convinced me to get it.

P.S I tried to give you karma but apparently i have to give karma to others before giving it back to you. Will do so soon!