Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Hmm...my experience with Kobo

Having come from years using other readers (Amazon, BN, Sony), I recently purchased a Kobo Glo. I'm pretty well versed in readers, but had no idea that Kobo uses different rendering techniques. Kepub v. epub. From a marketing sense, I get it, provide more benefits from your proprietary engine. I know too that B&N uses a different Adobe DRM scheme. But ALL the other readers don't treat their files differently when rendered; there may be more content behind a file (X-Ray, for example), but they all are rendered the same.

I like the form factor of the device, but...

Any others have some advice? I already know about the save as *.kepub.epub, but that doesn't help with the news generated by Calibre. Unless there are some Calibre secrets, I think I may have to pass on this one. Seems a shame as the form factor is quite nice.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
Having come from years using other readers (Amazon, BN, Sony), I recently purchased a Kobo Glo. I'm pretty well versed in readers, but had no idea that Kobo uses different rendering techniques. Kepub v. epub. From a marketing sense, I get it, provide more benefits from your proprietary engine. I know too that B&N uses a different Adobe DRM scheme. But ALL the other readers don't treat their files differently when rendered; there may be more content behind a file (X-Ray, for example), but they all are rendered the same.

I like the form factor of the device, but...

Any others have some advice? I already know about the save as *.kepub.epub, but that doesn't help with the news generated by Calibre. Unless there are some Calibre secrets, I think I may have to pass on this one. Seems a shame as the form factor is quite nice.
I load any book that has been "un-drm'd" by Calibre and Apprentice Alf's tools onto my Kobo without any issues. If downloaded directly from the Kobo website onto your PC, the ebook is in ordinary "epub" format and you don't need to play with the file extension. Kepubs are books downloaded directly to the reader from Kobo. If you use Calibre why not get the epub on the PC directly from the website?
I'm able to load my "Montreal Gazette" using the Web browser (on my Mini) and the Calibre server with no issues as well, it is added to Calibre in the epub format when it downloads.
I'm not sure I understand what type of problem you believe you have? Could you explain more?
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
To be fair, the only reason Amazon readers don't render epubs differently to their own format is that they don't render epubs at all :-)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

I was afraid of the digression about Amazon. The kepub reader provides page numbers (ie pages left in each section-perfect for news) and also does not lock in on a CSS file so it permits changes in lines/margins.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Just buy/download epubs and what are you giving up? There are plug-ins available(Apprentice Alf's) to allow Calibre to import/tweak(strip/ignore tags/CSS) normal Adobe & B&N epubs, so maybe just avoid the kepub format? Or am I totally not understanding your issue?

I also think Kobo got the form factor nearly perfect(my SDHC card sticks out just a tad too far and that danged white logo on my lovely black reader is good for annoying reflected light with any booklight that doesn't cover it up - they had the whole back to screw around with a gaudy logo!). I have two Nook STRs that have been laying fallow while the Kobo Touch gets all the attention of late. The shelf support through Calibre and the font tuning have been major plusses as well. The experimental built-in browser has so far kept me from bothering to root one of the Nooks...

Last edited by TechniSol; 12-11-2012 at 10:16 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
I was afraid of the digression about Amazon. The kepub reader provides page numbers (ie pages left in each section-perfect for news) and also does not lock in on a CSS file so it permits changes in lines/margins.
That is true... for me, having the display as "pages left in section/chapter" is an annoyance!
Just goes to show that everyone has different tastes. I prefer seeing "pg. 12 of 127" so that I know how many pages left to read in the book/newspaper.
Also, I prefer tweaking through Calibre rather than the reader itself.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Indeed there is no satisfying everyone. I want a display showing x of y pages in the chapter and X of Y pages in the book. The workable compromise was in 1.9.X when you have x of y in the chapter and a black progress bar for the book with tick marks for the chapters when you went to the reading menu within a book.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
dieterpops
Addict

Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Fellas, I can see the formatting things, the elimination of blank spaces, ability to override CSS, etc. but we had nothing but page numbers or occasionally chapter headings alternating with book titles in paper, maybe we're getting a teensy bit spoiled wanting page numbers left in chapters, progress bars, etc. Can't one simply go to the TOC and get that? If not, maybe bitch about the missing TOC instead of continually dreaming up more code bloat, flower vases, and gingerbread to needlessly complicate a design. That or at least ask for the ability to configure options like that and selectively disable them. I don't want a screen full of crappola, just a simple book substitute with a nice clean look to the page, elegance through simplicity is never a bad way to go.

Honestly, I realize we'd all like different little touches, but I wonder that sometimes we focus more on little things we don't have than all that we do have. My biggest hope is that as features are added they will always include the ability to leave them out as well.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Calibre epub-epub conversions with the right settings can fix your latter issue; search the forum for details, as it's been discussed over and over.

As far as I know there is no way of getting pages left in a chapter with sideloads, but you can get a rather nice chapter-marked progress bar (and other terrific tweaks) using ikarus9999's plugin.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
... Can't one simply go to the TOC and get that? ...
I'll give it a try.

1) write down current page number
2) tap to bring up menu (nice and quick)
3) tap on book icon (nice and quick)
4) tap on table of contents (a little slow)
5) click on next chapter (pretty quick)
6) get page number

Now get back to where I was

7) Tap to bring up menu
8) click on scroll icon
9) scroll to approximate page
10) click on X
11) page forward/back to actual page
12) screen forward/back to get to actual screen

Yeah that worked.

I could have also used a bookmark, but that seems like a PITA also.

Installing the plugin seems like the least effort.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Fellas, I can see the formatting things, the elimination of blank spaces, ability to override CSS, etc. but we had nothing but page numbers or occasionally chapter headings alternating with book titles in paper, maybe we're getting a teensy bit spoiled wanting page numbers left in chapters, progress bars, etc. Can't one simply go to the TOC and get that? If not, maybe bitch about the missing TOC instead of continually dreaming up more code bloat, flower vases, and gingerbread to needlessly complicate a design. That or at least ask for the ability to configure options like that and selectively disable them. I don't want a screen full of crappola, just a simple book substitute with a nice clean look to the page, elegance through simplicity is never a bad way to go.

Honestly, I realize we'd all like different little touches, but I wonder that sometimes we focus more on little things we don't have than all that we do have. My biggest hope is that as features are added they will always include the ability to leave them out as well.
When you consider the niggling little (and apparently sometimes controversial) changes/enhancements being requested, the conclusion that many seem to miss: the firmware must be pretty good if this is all users are asking for.

So I will opine at this point, despite any improvements/enhancements I may pine for, overall I am very happy with the reading experience on my KT as well as the operation of the Kobo book shop. If development stopped today, I would keep using my Kobo and still be satisfied. It was purchased over a year ago and I feel that I received good value.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
dieterpops
Addict

Lots of good dialog. My original point still remains, don't provide two different user experiences depending on where a file comes from. Either provide one experience or let the user decide.

Last edited by dieterpops; 12-12-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'll give it a try.
There's a shorter way:
1) tap to bring up menu
2) tap double-arrow "Navigate" icon
3) tap double-right-arrow to go to beginning of next chapter
There's your page

Now to get back:
1) tap "Return" arrow
2) tap "X" to close menu

Still, I miss the thin progress bar with the chapter marks.
Ah, the good old days.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDog View Post
There's a shorter way:
1) tap to bring up menu
2) tap double-arrow "Navigate" icon
3) tap double-right-arrow to go to beginning of next chapter
There's your page

Now to get back:
1) tap "Return" arrow
2) tap "X" to close menu
Which doesn't work for me. After I hit return and close, I'm still off by a couple of screens. I'm using a side-loaded epub.

Quote:
Still, I miss the thin progress bar with the chapter marks.
Ah, the good old days.
+n
John F is offline   Reply With Quote