Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Arrow FW >= 5.11 Factory JailBreak (i.e., KT4)

This is yet another entry in a long line of so-called "Factory" JailBreaks .
This short set of instructions is intended to be used in conjunction with the JailBreak Index thread, which should put this in context .

What Does It Do?:

This is the initial step in being able to run custom stuff on your device.

Latest Updates (06/04/2019):

v1.3, with FW >= 5.11 support (i.e., KT4).

PSA: All downloads have been moved to the Snapshots thread!

INSTALL:

JailBreak:
Spoiler:

This assumes you are *already* running a *factory* firmware version. Refer to the JailBreak Index for more details.

First, download the K5 Factory JailBreak package from the Snapshots thread, then unpack it.

The instructions are then mildly different depending on the exact version of said factory FW.
Although, fun fact, the >= 5.11 variant also works on earlier FW versions.

Do note that some specific FW versions may have plugged this hole (f.g., 5.10.3 on the PW4).

If it's >= 5.11:

Copy the Merchant.zip file as-is (i.e., don't unpack it) to the top level of the visible USB storage, and then eject & unplug your Kindle.
In the search bar, type ;merchant and press return.
The device will then appear to hang for a while (let's say between 30s to a minute).
When the screen finally refreshes, a You are Jailbroken document will appear if the process was successful.
If everything went according to plan, you can now safely delete both that document and the Merchant.zip file, and follow the rest of the directions from the JailBreak Index.

If it's < 5.11:

Copy the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz file as-is (i.e., don't unpack it) to the top level of the visible USB storage, and then eject & unplug your Kindle.
In the search bar, type ;installHtml and press return.
The device should then reboot automatically.
A You are Jailbroken document will appear if the process was successful.
If everything went according to plan, you can now safely delete both that document and the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz file, and follow the rest of the directions from the JailBreak Index.

Last Updated: $Id: FJB_MR_THREAD 16030 2019-06-06 18:20:32Z NiLuJe $

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-06-2019 at 02:17 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Lol, had a look at following factory firmware versions:

PW3 5.8.9.0.1
PW3 5.9.6.1

PW4 5.10.0.1
PW4 5.10.0.2
PW4 5.10.1.3

KT4 5.11.0

All of them had the ;merchant command. I wonder how long that's been there.

Anyway, awesome work!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
The next one to check is PW4 5.10.3.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ilovejedd: Probably very.

I had an eery dejà-vu feeling during the whole process yesterday, so I'm fairly sure this was also there in my original PW2 factory image -_-".

EDIT: Yuuup. .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-04-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ilovejedd: Probably very.

I had an eery dejà-vu feeling during the whole process yesterday, so I'm fairly sure this was also there in my original PW2 factory image -_-".

EDIT: Yuuup. .
Lol, so pretty much any device with factory firmware can use the new method?

Comment on the ;merchant thing, it doesn’t actually reboot the device. It just looks like it’s hanged for a few minutes and then it returns to the previous screen. Unlike ;installHtml, ;merchant only does “restart framework” vs “restart appmgrd, restart x, restart framework”

Lol, I actually manually added “/mnt/us/You are Jailbroken.txt” into the Merchant.zip you PMed me. Just as I was getting reading to brute force restart the KT4, it kinda started functioning normally again and I saw the “You are Jailbroken” document.
Advert
Old 06-04-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Oh, yeah, I thought that was enough to include the progress bar (which most people assume means "reboot", hence the simplification), but it doesn't, that only happens when you restart lab126_gui or x .

(IIRC, a framework restart takes something between 30 to 50s, right? At least that's how I remember it from a PW2 on a release FW, so, eh, might take longer here ;p)

I'll amend that, thanks .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-04-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(IIRC, a framework restart takes something between 30 to 50s, right? At least that's how I remember it from a PW2 on a release FW, so, eh, might take longer here ;p)
Probably.

I was just staring at it for a long time waiting for it to restart the GUI like with ;installHtml. I think I had accidentally tapped on the display when I was reaching for the power button to force restart and lo and behold it was actually working normally. When I went to the home screen, the "You are Jailbroken" document was there (so at least I knew it did *something*). Device was probably back to normal way before I accidentally tapped on it.

I did glance at the script for ;merchant before I ran it on my KT4 but kinda stopped reading after the unzip -q ... line. Of course, it didn't occur to me to compare it with the ;installHtml script until after it "hanged" then started working again.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:22 PM   #8
Au3C2
Au3C2 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3 KPW4
I tried on my PW4 5.10.3, when I typed ";installHtml" and press return,nothing happended.
Did it mean that it dosent's work on PW4 5.10.3?
Au3C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #9
Au3C2

So if I upgrade my PW4 to a higher version (like 5.11.2), is this method works??
Old 06-08-2019, 10:57 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Unfortunately, your Kindle is too new. There is currently no jailbreak available for PW4 on 5.10.3 or higher.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:40 AM   #11
Au3C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Unfortunately, your Kindle is too new. There is currently no jailbreak available for PW4 on 5.10.3 or higher.
what about serial jb?
Old 06-09-2019, 03:03 AM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au3C2 View Post
what about serial jb?
I don't think anyone's figured out what to do with the Androidized system layout yet.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:21 AM   #13
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Au3C2 View Post
what about serial jb?
People tried here but failed so far
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313438
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #14
Au3C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
People tried here but failed so far
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313438
Thanks. Looks like there's still no way to jailbreak my kpw4
Old 06-11-2019, 12:29 AM   #15
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I read the "Tutorial Open Sesame!" and this thread but I doubt I understand FW>=5.11 Factory Jailbreak clearly.
My questions are:

1. Does it mean there are several slightly different versions of FW 5.11 shipped with KT4?
I asked because in "Tutorial Open Sesame!" there is a factory image for KT4 with 5.11.0 (MD5: fd3e7ed8ebea59432163a5e713cd90c5). Also, Niluje said in this thread "v1.3, with FW >= 5.11 support (i.e. KT4)" and "This assumes you are *already* running a *factory firmware* version.

2. If there is only one version of FW 5.11, then can I assume all KT4 can be jailbreak although it is in FW 5.11.2 already? Or I completely missed something here?
I asked because I am thinking to buy KT4 from Amazon-Warehouse and there is a possibility that the previous buyer has done FW 5.11.2 upgrade.

In the country I live, sometimes KT4 Amazon-Warehouse comes "too cheap to be true."
DeKuns is offline   Reply With Quote