Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #31
ienosos
ienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enough

Device: Android phone, Android tablet
I would definitely be interested in the update but I purchased from the Amazon App Store. Will it work? I don't want to try to install it if it's only checking the Google Play store for the license. (I really don't know how that stuff works.) Thanks!

(FYI: My Kindle Fire version of CC currently works fine with the comment formatting turned on. But I use the Amazon App thing on my Android tablets and phone to install and update CC on those devices and it does not show comments with formatting turned on on them.)

Last edited by ienosos; 02-11-2019 at 05:53 PM.
ienosos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:36 AM   #32
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
the release from the dropbox link worked find for me ( lenovo tablet running oreo), before that : no comments- after that, comments are back
thanks
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2019, 03:58 AM   #33
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ienosos View Post
I would definitely be interested in the update but I purchased from the Amazon App Store. Will it work? I don't want to try to install it if it's only checking the Google Play store for the license. (I really don't know how that stuff works.) Thanks!
No, the Google Play version won't work if you purchased the Amazon version. Amazon's licensing is totally different and not under our control.
Quote:
(FYI: My Kindle Fire version of CC currently works fine with the comment formatting turned on. But I use the Amazon App thing on my Android tablets and phone to install and update CC on those devices and it does not show comments with formatting turned on on them.)
The problem occurs because of a Google update to a "webview" component, I think only for Android 7 and above. Most Amazon devices run Android 5 so they aren't affected. Some of the new devices run Android 7.

I think I can release the update on the Amazon store, in which case you will get it in the fullness of time. I don't think Amazon has made the same policy change as Google.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #34
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I submitted the updates to Amazon. They should be available in the next 48 hours.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #35
ienosos
ienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The problem occurs because of a Google update to a "webview" component, I think only for Android 7 and above. Most Amazon devices run Android 5 so they aren't affected. Some of the new devices run Android 7.

I think I can release the update on the Amazon store, in which case you will get it in the fullness of time. I don't think Amazon has made the same policy change as Google.

My phone is Android 5 and it's where I first noticed the problem.

I'll keep an eye out in the Amazon store. Thanks.

Edit: Also, just checked and the tablet I read on most often where this problem occurs also is also Android 5. Just in case you can use that info.

And finally, just in case it matters and I haven't been clear, I use the same Amazon store version of CC on all my Android devices, including my phone, my Kindle Fires and regular Android tablets, installed through the Amazon App Store app.

Last edited by ienosos; 02-12-2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Clarity
Advert
Old 02-13-2019, 03:47 AM   #36
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My phone is Android 5 and it's where I first noticed the problem.

I'll keep an eye out in the Amazon store. Thanks.

Edit: Also, just checked and the tablet I read on most often where this problem occurs also is also Android 5. Just in case you can use that info.

And finally, just in case it matters and I haven't been clear, I use the same Amazon store version of CC on all my Android devices, including my phone, my Kindle Fires and regular Android tablets, installed through the Amazon App Store app.
Well, so much for one theory.

Did the problem occur on a Fire or on some other android device? Not that it really matters with the upgrade available on the Amazon store. Amazon says the upgrade went live late last night.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #37
ienosos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Well, so much for one theory.

Did the problem occur on a Fire or on some other android device? Not that it really matters with the upgrade available on the Amazon store. Amazon says the upgrade went live late last night.
It did not happen on the Fire(s), just the phone and Android tablets. But I installed the update on the Android tablet just a few minutes ago and the comments are back with Formatting in Comments enabled. So whatever else might be going on, the update you sent to the Amazon app store worked for my Android tablet.

It was never a problem on the Fire (so my theory is that it is a Google/Android specific issue). (Although this doesn't help me figure out why my Nook is no longer showing descriptions either, but obviously that *is* a different issue after all, unless this was all triggered by some change in Calibre itself.)

(I also just did the update on one of my Fire tablets and comments were showing formatting before and are still showing formatting just fine. So no problems there at all as far as I can see.)

Now for my phone! Yep, the update from the Amazon app store fixed it too. Comments show with formatting enabled and I can definitely see formatting now.

Thanks so much!
Old 03-15-2019, 05:58 AM   #38
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Something from Google must have updated as my blurbs disappeared again. I was able to fix it again using the link you provided to your personal server.

Thanks so much for providing this workaround. I do not understand why Google keeps changing things.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
missing information