Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #556
NRB73
NRB73 began at the beginning.

Device: KT3, PW4
This one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=462

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeceo43 View Post
Today I removed Special Offers, then installed 5.10.1.3 factory firmware, then installed the jailbreak and other related files, then installed 5.10.1.3 customer firmware. I don't plan to update the firmware further since I use KOReader.
No-one suggested this wasn't necessarily the case. Maybe I read in to it too much.
NRB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #557
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRB73 View Post
This one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=462

No-one suggested this wasn't necessarily the case. Maybe I read in to it too much.
I expect the comment regarding KOReader just means there's no point updating to higher for the poster since they don't use any of the features of native firmware anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you'd like to play it safe and don't need any of the new features in latest firmware (e.g. Read/Unread filter), you could install this:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...2_5.10.1.3.bin (customer fw is ~200-300MB, factory is much bigger at ~700-800MB)

Sticking to this version means you can always redo the factory fw jailbreak in case something happens.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #558
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
We do rely on the base system & kernel . That may include significant performance improvements or features...

TL;DR: No specific version constraints, no.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:07 PM   #559
CraftyClown
Enthusiast
CraftyClown began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi folks, just received my brand new Kindle Paperwhite and before I came on here to research jailbreaking it, I foolishly powered it up and connected it to the WiFi. I have since put it into airplane mode and the firmware still seems to be 5.10.1.3 am I still ok to jailbreak this puppy?
CraftyClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #560
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyClown View Post
Hi folks, just received my brand new Kindle Paperwhite and before I came on here to research jailbreaking it, I foolishly powered it up and connected it to the WiFi. I have since put it into airplane mode and the firmware still seems to be 5.10.1.3 am I still ok to jailbreak this puppy?
If your firmware is really still 5.10.1.3, then yes, you can jailbreak it.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #561
fundus
fundus began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Great instructions!

Can I ask what you mean with step 6? What is the main FW?

[QUOTE=Gvaz;3850818]I came up with some directions that are clearer for someone like me who needs it all spelled out:

6. update to main fw
fundus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #562
sandj
sandj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 3 - version 5.11.2
I have a Kindle PW3 with version 5.11.2. I wanted to check if this method of jailbreaking still works? I had a 5.10 before, but after i "update" with the bin file in file location, it automatically updated to the latest version. Anyway do let me know if it supports 5.11.2
sandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #563
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=fundus;3862288]Great instructions!

Can I ask what you mean with step 6? What is the main FW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvaz View Post
I came up with some directions that are clearer for someone like me who needs it all spelled out:

6. update to main fw
The main firmware is the customer use firmware.

After the jailbreak is complete and the hotfix installed, a customer use firmware must be installed. Customer use firmware can be downloaded from amazon.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #564
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandj View Post
I have a Kindle PW3 with version 5.11.2. I wanted to check if this method of jailbreaking still works? I had a 5.10 before, but after i "update" with the bin file in file location, it automatically updated to the latest version. Anyway do let me know if it supports 5.11.2
There is no software jailbreak for 5.11.2 at this time and there may never be one.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #565
waterlubber
hobbyist
waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch)
From what I've read, the models being sold on Amazon during prime day have a newer firmware version. Is it possible to do a hardware (serial) jailbreak on these devices?
waterlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #566
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlubber View Post
From what I've read, the models being sold on Amazon during prime day have a newer firmware version. Is it possible to do a hardware (serial) jailbreak on these devices?
What model(s)?
Some can not be opened, some do not have a serial port, some ...
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #567
waterlubber
hobbyist
waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What model(s)?
Some can not be opened, some do not have a serial port, some ...
Ah, sorry, I saw another post saying that the PW4 was at a newer version and asking about the KT4. My ancient Kindle 4 NT finally kicked the bucket (or, at least, the screen did -- anyone know of good replacement parts?) so I'm in the market for a new one.

Are any of the currently sold markets jailbreakable? I'd like to mess around with root access since I have a lot of experience with Linux.
waterlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #568
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlubber View Post
Ah, sorry, I saw another post saying that the PW4 was at a newer version and asking about the KT4. My ancient Kindle 4 NT finally kicked the bucket (or, at least, the screen did -- anyone know of good replacement parts?) so I'm in the market for a new one.

Are any of the currently sold markets jailbreakable? I'd like to mess around with root access since I have a lot of experience with Linux.
I dunno what's shipping now but my last PW4 purchase in May 2019, 8GB SO WiFi had 5.10.1.3 while the 32GB SO WiFi still had 5.10.0.2. Both were purchased on Mother's Day.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #569
krikk
krikk began at the beginning.

just got my new paperwhite 4 8GB wifi (Serial: G000PP1291xxxx), and i did not connect to wifi, checked firmware version before anything else, and it has 5.10.3 installed

...ordered from amazon.de on sunday (Prime offer)
krikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #570
Blaze9
Blaze9 began at the beginning.

Just got my new PW4 from primeday. Serial G000 and it's FW 5.10.3, ordered from amazon.com yesterday.
Blaze9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, pw4