Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-15-2019, 02:25 AM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I can put (by my count) 4566 books in my pocket with room for thousands more. Beat that, 15 years ago.
Since I bought my Clara, I decided to load the SD card on my Aura up with every book I have, just to see what would happen. My count is close to yours (approaching 4,500). The Aura runs, but it is pretty slow. The database is likely getting too big for the Aura to handle.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:38 AM   #17
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
it's bearable on my kindle manga.
I just searched for a single 5-letter word, it took about 10 seconds.
Given that I do almost no text searches outside of checking to see if anything's indexing..
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The best of times for ereading was when Kobo had unlimited use 90% off coupons.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #19
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Some more of why now is the best of times. There are more and higher quality reading apps. I mourned Stanza for a long time. I’ve been enjoying Marcin for years but no Android version. Now I use FBReader on both iOS and Android. I have a few “must haves”. Both sides touch and go forward. Finger swipe up/down to adjust light. Cloud sync, and handling of book series. FBReader even adds page of book, percent done and chapter marks at the bottom of screen....size configurable.

Kindle app, while remaining both my most used app and least improved/evolved....HAS added one cool new feature in the past year or so. I can listen to an audiobook and read a book at the same time and the sync works between reading text and listening to audio. Amazon will sell the add on audio book (for some titles) at a reasonable $6 or so
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I've gotten a number of audiobooks at the discount price after getting the ebook, though I've never actually used the sync feature. I tend to tune out voices when I'm reading.

Best of times, imply to me that things couldn't be better. Things can always get better, but I do think that times are really, really good for ebooks. Good apps that provide pretty much everything that I want. Right now, for me, the only thing that is missing is the automatic syncing with Calibre that kept track of how much of a book I've read, when I start and when I finish a book. Marvin use to do it, but that broke when the iOS plugin for Marvin broke.

Utopia would be every book ever written being available for either purchase or download. I had hoped we would get there when Google started their scanning project, but it's going to take changes to the copyright law.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Best of times, imply to me that things couldn't be better.
To me, it implies that things have never been better.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #22
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
To me, it implies that things have never been better.
Yep. That's how I use the phrase. Things can always be better. It's a mindset to be happy with what you have even as you await that things could be better
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote