Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
non-image cover page?

Does a cover page need to be an image? I.e., can it be text?

I was assuming it must be an image and was going to hunker down and make one with SVG but I thought I'd ask first.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Does a cover page need to be an image? I.e., can it be text?

I was assuming it must be an image and was going to hunker down and make one with SVG but I thought I'd ask first.
It needs to be an image, generally not an SVG since you may want to show it separately in a description of the book. The image can certainly be text only if you wish.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It needs to be an image, generally not an SVG since you may want to show it separately in a description of the book. The image can certainly be text only if you wish.

Dale
Thanks; I wasn't clear in what I was after. I'm thinking about making a "space efficient" epub and not using any images (jpeg, png). So for the cover page I was thinking that if it needs an image I could make an svg, and use its <text> and </text> tags and since it's all text it should compress well.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
IMO - Covers are meant to grab your attention as you are browsing through rows/aisles of books. A good cover will also "set the tone" - give an impression of the book and what it's about. I don't know how many books I've completely ignored because of a bad cover...unless, of course, it is sooo bad that I have to laugh at it...

It would seem like a lot of extra work to make an image of text...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:45 PM   #5
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
IMO - Covers are meant to grab your attention as you are browsing through rows/aisles of books.

It would seem like a lot of extra work to make an image of text...
Here's the original cover; hardly anything to get your blood pumping. After replacing it with a text svg the size of the epub went to 191 Kb. With the image it was 380 KB. As for the extra work, yeah, but I like learning new things and svg is a big ball of string.

Click image for larger version

Name:	treasure of the ice.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	171688
Old 05-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon requires a JPG for their cover. ePub seems to allow any format they support. Could you post your svg source?

Dale
Old 05-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Amazon requires a JPG for their cover. ePub seems to allow any format they support. Could you post your svg source?

Dale
Good to know about Amazon; thanks.

I'm having a problem with it. Here's the thread/query for that:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3850624
Old 05-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Here is an example from our wiki SVG
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" 
  "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
<svg width="10cm" height="3cm" viewBox="0 0 1000 300"
     xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" version="1.1">
  <desc>Example text01 - 'Hello, out there' in blue</desc>

<text x="250" y="150" 
        font-family="Verdana" font-size="55" fill="blue" >
    Hello, out there
  </text>
  <!-- Show outline of canvas using 'rect' element -->
  <rect x="1" y="1" width="998" height="298"
        fill="none" stroke="blue" stroke-width="2" />
</svg>
Old 05-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #9
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Here is an example from our wiki SVG
Yes, the wiki is where I started reading. developer.mozilla.org also has a good tutorial.