Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
rshanbhag
rshanbhag began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Help with PRS-600 books

I bought a PRS-600 black recently. However, I am confused with the following. Could someone please advise?
/a/ books on Sony ebook site are very limited and more expensive than Amazon Kindle. I am looking for American History and Biography books.
/b/ There are no magazines that I can subscribe to
/c/ The libraries (Santa Clara) have a very very limited number of books on their website to borrow on Sony Reader.

Given that Amazon has a much larger variety (incl magazines) and much less expensive, was buying PRS600 a mistake? Or did i just miss something?

The devise itself is great; but is useless unless I get the books I want.

Rajesh
rshanbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
You can also purchase from other online booksellers. One of the popular ones that sells epub ebooks is Books on Board.

Sony has recently been making a push to get their prices in line with Amazon for new releases. There will be some ebooks that are higher and some that are lower.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I don't mean to sound evangelical, but you might consider Calibre to help with the magazines. The program is designed to organize and convert ebooks, but it also fetches content from websites. At last count, it had 124 US based news downloads available, including magazines and newspapers, complete with scheduled downloads. Best of all - the program and the magazines are free. You can find it at http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
+1 for for buying from different vendors and using calibre to widen the selection.

Not sure if everyone should buy an ereader, considering the many incompatible formats out there, and idiotic restrictions on ebooks. It may be that the original poster purchased a reader a few years too soon, but buying lots of amazon ebooks seems to mee like a much worse alternative than getting epub books for a sony reader.

I purchased quite a few mobipocket books (Also owned by amazon) and they're all worthless now. Companies like fictionwise has much better policies.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
MacGirlie
MacGirlie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I don't mean to sound evangelical, but you might consider Calibre to help with the magazines. The program is designed to organize and convert ebooks, but it also fetches content from websites. At last count, it had 124 US based news downloads available, including magazines and newspapers, complete with scheduled downloads. Best of all - the program and the magazines are free. You can find it at http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/
Polly,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this!! I have been wanting to get the NYT on my Reader, and I don't mind the syncing step. Being able to get papers and magazines was my one issue and I think you have it solved!
MacGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
Nvidiot
Connoisseur
Nvidiot began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Also try searching for the books you are looking for at http://inkmesh.com/
Nvidiot is offline   Reply With Quote