View Poll Results: Do you use Calibre?
Yes 202 89.38%
No 21 9.29%
Other. (Leave a comment in the thread) 5 2.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Non-calibre users, why not?

I wonder how many Kobo users forgo Calibre? How many use Calibre?

If you don't use Calibre, I'd be curious to know why not? How do you manage your library?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
I didn't use Calibre because I just didn't know about it. I just learned about it after finding this Forum.
Before Calibre I would organize my books in a bunch of folders of each genre. For those that I had read, I would send to the "finished" folder. I would also customize the icons of the folders to give some "look" to my virtual library.
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Blas, now that you know about Calibre, do you use it?
Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
The majority of my reading is library books. Don't need Calibre for that. The built-in author sort is good enough for my purchased books.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #5
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The majority of my reading is library books. Don't need Calibre for that. The built-in author sort is good enough for my purchased books.
Ah, yes, seems Calibre wouldn't provide any advantage for library books.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
I've voted no but its'n totally true.
I have some libraries in my calibre but only for a great amount of books. For my daily use library I prefer manualy manged of files and folders because there's only a little fraction of books and for me it's more quickly.
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
IanScuffling
Enthusiast
IanScuffling began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Same for me.
IanScuffling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:08 AM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Between 2011 and 2014 I've bought too many books to NOT use an e-book manager such as Calibre. As there's nothing that comes even close, Calibre it is.

As I don't like the default interface with all the big buttons on the toolbars, I removed everything. I now only have the Main, Add Books, and Preference menu's, and no buttons. All actions regarding e-books (Modify EPUB, Split/Merge, Edit TOC/Book, etc) are in the right-click menu. Calibre's user interface is now super-clean and easy.

edit: what I mean to say.... apart from the default user interface, I love this program. I don't know how well-written (or badly written) the code is, but it does work and never gave me any problems. I'd gladly would have paid for Calibre, and once in a while I do, by giving a donation.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-06-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #9
oracleoftruth
oracleoftruth could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.oracleoftruth could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.oracleoftruth could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.oracleoftruth could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.oracleoftruth could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.oracleoftruth could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.oracleoftruth could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.oracleoftruth could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.oracleoftruth could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.oracleoftruth could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.oracleoftruth could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kobo glo
I did use it but now that I have a chromebook I can't use it. If there was a chrome or android app or an online version I would absolutely use it.
oracleoftruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #10
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
FWIW, when I've asked other folks who use ereaders, either they didn't know about Calibre or they aren't book keepers. The latter people buy a book when they want to read and never reread, so don't need a library and don't care if the place goes bust because they've already read the book.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I buy my books from Amazon, so I have to use Calibre. But I also tend to buy a lot of indie books and former midlist books that are now published directly by their authors. Some of those are a mess, even in 2019, so even if I bought from Kobo, I'd still want Calibre to edit and clean my books before reading them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #12
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
- Yes, i use Calibre on both Windows and Linux distribution.
For me everything I need what I need., from reading, storing and editing books, reformatting the file, cloud etc
(moreover, it is compatible with my reader like Kobo, Pocketbook and more)

- I have no reason to use others as it meets my requirements. I also like the brisk development that goes forward.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-23-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
- Yes, i use Calibre on both Windows and Linux distribution.
For me everything I need what I need., from reading, storing and editing books, reformatting the file, cloud etc
(moreover, it is compatible with my reader like Kobo, Pocketbook and more)

- I have no reason to use others as it meets my requirements. I also like the brisk development that goes forward.
What others are there?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #14
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What others are there?
Do I really have to list all the SW ( library for book) I used on Ubuntu + Windows instead of Calibre, how Okular, Lucidor, Bookworm, Easy Ebook Viewer, Buka, GNOME Books,Icecream, eLibrary, Bibliovore, Bookvisor, Freda, Cover, Sumatra,EpubReader, Nook, Kobo, Bookvise reader, Book Bazar Reader, Legimi, Shelift, Tucan, DReader, Readium etc ?

Or what exactly do you want !? Do I have to apologize for being happy with Calibre or what ?

- I need to reformat the book from ePub to Kepub, I will use Calibre (I used to often use Epubor) .
- I want a library of books, I'll use Calibre (before I used Book Bazar , csBooks).
- I want to connect wirelessly to my library directly from my device (reader), i use Calibre.
- When I need to edit a book, I use Calibre (I used to often use SIGIL before)
- When I need to upload "methadones" to a book, I use Calibre.

* In short, I am satisfied with Caliber and I have no reason what to change .

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-24-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:08 AM   #15
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
I don't have my books in Calibre. I only use Calibre per book, mostly to convert (or make a pretty cover for fanfic books). And then I delete the book from Calibre.

But I have all my books in separate folders on my computer and on my Kobo/Kindle. I have a To Read folder, and then folders pers genre (YA, fanfic, horror, like those). How else would I be able to see which books I haven't read on my e-reader? Now I just open my To Read Library.

I guess this isn't a good use of Calibre, but I'm not really feeling like I'm missing anything right now.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote