Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Suggestions? Scan foreign language books & make non-searchable pdf

I have fast and perfect way of converting paper books in English to epub/mobi using a scanner with an ADF, Abbyy Finereader, Calibre (conversion), etc.

I now need to scan some foreign language books (Nepali, German, etc) and I want to save them as simple Non-Searchable pdfs. (basically scanned images in a pdf). I do not want to OCR them.

The problem I have is that when I use my ADF the page images are not always well centered and straight.

Any suggestions?

I have a Mac running both OSX and Windows (ABBYY FineReader). I can scan with any number of scan utilities (Apple Image Capture for example) or scan in FineReader. I know how to convert tiff to pdf, assemble pdfs, crop, etc in Acrobat Pro. As I said, I easily make OCR'd epubs and mobi's.

But what I can't figure out is how to simply "center and straighten" a page image somewhat automatically without having to manually rotate and "jog" hundreds of image pages in software.

I have a book scanner arriving today (Plustekk OpticBook 3800 RT) that will help yield consistent scans (image placement) but I really hate to have to scan hundreds of pages one by one (without an ADF).

Again, any suggestions?

1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You can run your scans through scantailor to make fix them. That should take care of the straightning and centering.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You can run your scans through scantailor to make fix them. That should take care of the straightning and centering.
Perfect... thanks. I'll check it out! Appreciate the info.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
You should visit the treasure trove over at the DIY Bookscanner forums:

http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/

There is a ton of tutorials/information over there on what people do to fix up scans. Everyone will have slightly different workflows... and there are probably some very in-depth Imagemagick commands that people have come up with to do what you want.

ScanTailor is probably the easiest way to do a lot of this, but it does "recreate" the images/fonts/text, instead of just taking your image and doing basic cropping/centering.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
1611mac
eWanderer

Ran my 244 pages of first book through the Mac version of ScanTailor last night. Worked perfect and did exactly what I wanted. Nice!

I'll absolutely spend some time at DIY Bookscanner. I've been so happy with my "normal" workflow (mentioned in OP) that I've not been looking for other ideas.

I will mention a nice little app for OSX that handled file re-naming. It's NameMangler and it allows you tot automatically rename batches of files making it easy to use batch ADF scanning without fancy "front/back" duplex software. (I don't like the ADF "faux duplex" options some software provides as if you get a misfeed or have a page scan issue the whole sequence gets messed up.)
Advert