Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #16
gunbad
Zealot
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
You can’t buy the bridge. He sells you a license to purchase the book, sorry I meant bridge. And the license can be revoked at his whim at anytime.
gunbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #17
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Sorry, I still disagree.

I don't think the Delphi email is "so ridiculous and so funny". I think it's a pretty normal announcement-of-a-sale email, with perhaps a smidge too much of a "marketing" subject line, although I personally don't even feel that crossed the line. And I don't demand "originality" from emails telling me about a sale - I just want to know about the sale: what's on sale, when, how and how much. And the Delphi email provides that information.

The reason I'm continuing to object is that I have enjoyed and respect Delphi's books, and I'm not sure why they deserve an entire thread of their own to beat them up. And especially a thread that goes on to list sins (e.g. "personalized" emails that aren't...) that Delphi's email didn't commit, but which a casual reader might reasonably assume it did.

Since clearly we are going to continue to disagree on this, I'm not going to argue it anymore. But, for those who may not have received the email, here's the text of the email and also the accompanying image in the thumbnails, so you can decide for yourself.

NOTE: I have no affiliation with Delphi, other than liking their products.

Quote:
Special Offer: 3 for the Price of 2 on Thrillers, Adventure and Fantasy eBooks

Catch the last of the Summer sun this weekend, with 3 for the price of 2 on Thrillers, Adventure and Fantasy titles, including the latest releases. There's no coupon required, just start adding to your cart. Whether its a swashbuckling adventure, a spine-chilling thriller or a journey to a magical land, don't miss out on this generous offer!

Explore our range of Summer Reading titles for 2019 here.

Offer expires Midnight 27/08/2019 GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think we all realize it's marketing hype, but that's what makes it so ridiculous and so funny. It's all hype, or'hype-talk', without one shred of originality.

Sure, I too think they make very good ebooks, but that's about all.

In the meantime, can I interest you in a two-story house located on some prime real estate? Comes with a sheltered parking garage at no extra cost. This is a limited-time offer, so act now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d7eeda9b-f83a-41b7-8a1d-c39960866f7d.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	572.2 KB
ID:	173115  
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #18
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbad View Post
You can’t buy the bridge. He sells you a license to purchase the book, sorry I meant bridge. And the license can be revoked at his whim at anytime.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
We can certainly agree to disagree, I would hope.

However, I do stand by my quote on their email to me:

Their email to me - AND I QUOTE - is:

A special offer we just had to tell you about...

This still cracks me up, even though I continue (and will continue) to buy some of their often fine products.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
We can certainly agree to disagree, I would hope.

However, I do stand by my quote on their email to me:

Their email to me - AND I QUOTE - is:

A special offer we just had to tell you about...

This still cracks me up, even though I continue (and will continue) to buy some of their often fine products.
Well, the you could be the collective you of their email list.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ I don't know. Perhaps I am the only one they had to tell !!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-25-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #22
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
I can't pass up the complete works of John Steinbeck for $4.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:33 PM   #23
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Wait, there's more! Fifteen (15) titles are on the free downloads page.
Quote:
Is this a Veg-O-Matic commercial?!
I missed the 15 titles completely, but I'm glad that someone saw them!

Sounds like a Billy Mays (R.I.P.) commercial: "But, wait! If you call in the next 30 minutes, we'll throw in this Veg-O-Matic absolutely free!"
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #24
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Is this a Veg-O-Matic commercial?!
I thought the "there's more" line was one that Steve Jobs always used at their conferences when he was announcing new stuff. But I think his line was "one more thing" or some such.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:49 PM   #25
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I thought the "there's more" line was one that Steve Jobs always used at their conferences when he was announcing new stuff. But I think his line was "one more thing" or some such.
I wasn't aware of Steve Jobs using that line. He was a master pitchman, too, though an appropriately much more subdued one than the venerable Billy Mays.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #26
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Don't forget Columbo. He sure did irritate the suspects.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:37 AM   #27
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Don't forget Columbo. He sure did irritate the suspects.
At least his suspects were already guilty.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Sorry, I still disagree.

I don't think the Delphi email is "so ridiculous and so funny". I think it's a pretty normal announcement-of-a-sale email, with perhaps a smidge too much of a "marketing" subject line, although I personally don't even feel that crossed the line. And I don't demand "originality" from emails telling me about a sale - I just want to know about the sale: what's on sale, when, how and how much. And the Delphi email provides that information.

The reason I'm continuing to object is that I have enjoyed and respect Delphi's books, and I'm not sure why they deserve an entire thread of their own to beat them up. And especially a thread that goes on to list sins (e.g. "personalized" emails that aren't...) that Delphi's email didn't commit, but which a casual reader might reasonably assume it did.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:35 PM   #29
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
I can't pass up the complete works of John Steinbeck for $4.
Same here! 😊
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #30
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I hate those "just for you" emails - as if a giant store is really going to send me a special email. Yeah right.

Much better are the ebay special offers directed to me and "a few others" offering discounts on items on my watch list. Sometimes the discount isn't worth the bother but a few times it's been pretty good and prompted me to go ahead and buy.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote