Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-16-2019, 04:05 AM   #1
zaoqi
github.com/zaoqi
zaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Boox c67ml,Note S,Max2,KT3,KPW4,Kobo AurdHD,Touch N905C
A KUAL extension. Linux Deploy: chrooted GNU/Linux for modern Kindle

I have only tested it on KPW4, KT3.

README

This extension depends on kterm.
Download

Last edited by zaoqi; 08-18-2019 at 04:26 AM.
zaoqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
zaoqi
github.com/zaoqi
zaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beauty

CHANGELOG v0.1.3 ~ v0.2.0

Add sudo-enabled user support
Add Ubuntu 19.04
Update e2fsprogs
fix bugs
Advert
Old 08-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
zaoqi
github.com/zaoqi

CHANGELOG v0.2.0 ~ 0.2.0-2

fix /tmp's permission
Add swap file support
fix for KT3
Old 08-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaoqi View Post
I have only tested it on KPW4.

README

Download
Read the "Guidelines" at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fa...ing_guidelines
Section 9, "Images"
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:26 AM   #5
zaoqi
github.com/zaoqi

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Read the "Guidelines" at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fa...ing_guidelines
Section 9, "Images"
Done.
Advert
Old 08-26-2019, 05:06 AM   #6
zaoqi
github.com/zaoqi

CHANGELOG v0.2.0 ~ 0.3.0

add xfce4
Old 09-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #7
schuhumi
schuhumi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.schuhumi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.schuhumi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.schuhumi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.schuhumi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.schuhumi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.schuhumi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.schuhumi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.schuhumi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.schuhumi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.schuhumi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3
Hi zaoqi,

that's a nice tool! And I certainly recognize some things I found a small problem, in line seven of the script to start XFCE https://github.com/zaoqi/kual-linuxd...ce4.user.sh#L7

In this command to find the window size:
Code:
SIZE=$(xwininfo -root -display :0 | egrep "geometry" | cut -d " "  -f4)
I run this from within the chroot, as the Kindle OS doesn't have egrep (at least mine, "chroot.xfce4.user.sh: line 7: egrep: not found"). Xephyr then gets confused with its arguments and chokes on the color depth:
Code:
Fatal server error:
(EE) Unrecognized option: 4
Also I found out that the loop devices don't get disassociated automatically when umounting, you can check like this:
Code:
[root@kindle kual-linuxdeploy-armhf]# cat /sys/block/loop*/loop/backing_file 
/dev/mmcblk0p4
/mnt/us/extensions/kual-linuxdeploy-armhf/rootfs.img (deleted)
/mnt/us/extensions/kual-linuxdeploy-armhf/rootfs.img
/usr/share/X11/xkb.sqsh
/usr/java/lib/fonts.sqsh
/etc/kdb.src.sqsh
/usr/lib/locale.sqsh
/usr/share/keyboard.sqsh
/opt/var/local.sqsh
That for me leads to a) running out of loop devices at one point (max 16) b) storage doesn't get freed when deleting the umounted image (df -h). Thus I disassociate it manually:
Code:
LOOPDEV="$(mount | grep loop | grep /tmp/alpine | cut -d" " -f1)"
... umounts ...
losetup -d $LOOPDEV
And a small thing: In my dotfiles I archive dconf dumps now as well. These have to be read in upon initialization as well though, e.g. like this
Code:
dconf load /org/onboard/ < ~/.config/org_onboard.dconf.dump
Just because I saw you install onboard too.. I switchted to Mate now, but currently the XFCE config is also still in the repo, so you can update the version you clone if you want.

Nice work! And your scripts look way more elegant than mine
schuhumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #8
JJYYPPCC
JJYYPPCC began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaoqi View Post
I have only tested it on KPW4, KT3.
README
Download
A stupid question:Could it afford normally use Chrome?Or because of the poor performance it is just a funny dream?
JJYYPPCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
zaoqi
github.com/zaoqi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJYYPPCC View Post
A stupid question:Could it afford normally use Chrome?Or because of the poor performance it is just a funny dream?
Someone successfully ran Chrome on the Kindle. This tool may work, but I have not tested it.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #10
fezzzza
fezzzza began at the beginning.

Device: KT, K3W
Works nicely except for xfce. My KT hangs at random points through the xfce install, perhaps due to lower system RAM - my KT has 256MB RAM whereas your KT3 has 512MB, I think. However, even installing a 1GB swap file does not seem to help, so for now I am left with linux only running in text mode.

Any ideas?
fezzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:59 PM   #11
mrHedgehog
Member Retired
mrHedgehog began at the beginning.

Device: PW4 32GB Wi-Fi
Does this install as dualboot or does it overwrite Kindle OS? Thanks!
mrHedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:15 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Read the title, there's two very big hints in it.

1. KUAL.

2. Can't have a chroot without a host.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #13
mrHedgehog
Member Retired
mrHedgehog began at the beginning.

Device: PW4 32GB Wi-Fi
Alright. Thanks.
mrHedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote