Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #676
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
Tai-Pan by James Clavell - $1.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HB94TBJ

All Clavell's books are worth a read and IMO this one is second only to Shogun.
I second that on both counts. I enjoy his historical work much more than his modern (at least when they were written) work.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #677
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Funny enough, I've read Tai-Pan which I majorly enjoyed, but I haven't read Shogun! I need to remedy that.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:30 AM   #678
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Another Clavell book on sale - King Rat this time, for $3.99. It's part of his "Asian Saga" but I'm not sure how it fits in with the other books.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:48 AM   #679
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The sixth book in Bernard Cornwall's "The Last Kingdom" series is currently just £0.99 at Amazon UK.

The Death of Kings.
The first five book in the series are on sale for 99p at Amazon UK as their Daily Deal today.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #680
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Another Clavell book on sale - King Rat this time, for $3.99. It's part of his "Asian Saga" but I'm not sure how it fits in with the other books.
I think it's 3rd in the series.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #681
BetterRead
Addict
BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I think it's 3rd in the series.
King Rat is fourth chronologically, but it is actually Clavell's first novel. Two of the main characters show up later in Noble House, although you don't need to have read King Rat prior to Noble House.

Tai-Pan, on the other hand, provides much-needed background to Noble House, as it involves the founding of Struan's trading company, the "Noble House" of the title. Noble House, set 120 years later, is a more-or-less direct sequel to Tai-Pan, featuring descendants and plot threads from the earlier book. (I have not read Clavell's last book, Gai-Jin, which is set 20 years after Tai-Pan and 100 years before Noble House and features yet another descendant of the Struan clan.)

Tai-Pan is currently on sale for $1.99 at Amazon. I highly recommend it.
BetterRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:18 AM   #682
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"Tai-Pan" was a HUGE hit when it came out.

Regarding page length alone (in considering another Clavell title), "King Rat" is anemic. As mentioned, though this was his first published book.

"Tai-Pan," however, is a wonderful read.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #683
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRead View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I picked it up.

I see that Whirlwind is back in 'print' as well.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #684
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I didn't see this listed. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett is on sale for $1.99. If it's any consolation for you, it's the same length as War and Peace. I listened to this years ago. Great story.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pillars-Earth...kbubemail20-20
Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the...1ElanypuXoBbSg
Nook: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the...1ElanypuXoBbSg
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:45 PM   #685
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Amazon UK Deal of the Day

Captain Hornblower R.N.: Hornblower and the 'Atropos', The Happy Return, A Ship of the Line (A Horatio Hornblower Tale of the Sea) by C. S. Forester

99p

Another excellent and excellent value omnibus

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002TJLEXM/

Also 99p and recommended

The Captain from Connecticut by C. S. Forester

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RKVGPRP/

The African Queen by C. S. Forester

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EORACOE/

The Sky and the Forest C. S. Forester

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RFP6KDW/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #686
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRead View Post
King Rat is fourth chronologically, but it is actually Clavell's first novel. Two of the main characters show up later in Noble House, although you don't need to have read King Rat prior to Noble House.

Tai-Pan, on the other hand, provides much-needed background to Noble House, as it involves the founding of Struan's trading company, the "Noble House" of the title. Noble House, set 120 years later, is a more-or-less direct sequel to Tai-Pan, featuring descendants and plot threads from the earlier book. (I have not read Clavell's last book, Gai-Jin, which is set 20 years after Tai-Pan and 100 years before Noble House and features yet another descendant of the Struan clan.)

How very convoluted! I'll just get them all as they go on sale.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #687
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
How very convoluted! I'll just get them all as they go on sale.
As far as I know, though the books are labelled as the Asian Saga, the books can each be read as a stand-alone. Shogun takes place hundreds of years before the rest and King Rat was his first published book and was likely not written with the intention of being part of a series. Likely the same with Tai-Pan that was published between King Rat and Shogun.

I think the Asian Saga thing is more like Stephen King's 'universe' where maybe he'll mention towns and characters from other books, but more as an Easter egg than something you have to investigate and follow to understand the current book.

The fact that none of the books were published in the order in which they take place within the series tells you that they should all be somewhat independent.

One book I really wish Clavell had survived to write is Nippon, which would have taken place in 1970's Japan. That would have been a fascinating book.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-27-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:16 AM   #688
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Still on Clavell: there's this odd thing about Whirlwind where he pulled a small section out and published it as Escape. Both books are now available as e-books.

But is there anything in Escape that isn't also in Whirlwind? I thought Escape was basically the Reader's Digest Condensed Books version of Whirlwind?
Old 09-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #689
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Still on Clavell: there's this odd thing about Whirlwind where he pulled a small section out and published it as Escape. Both books are now available as e-books.

But is there anything in Escape that isn't also in Whirlwind? I thought Escape was basically the Reader's Digest Condensed Books version of Whirlwind?
Sort of.

Apparently, _Escape_ was an attempt to re-work _Whirlwind_ so as to create a story amenable to showing on television as a mini-series (per the top review at Amazon.com), so much of it is a repeat of the latter, but apparently the ending is different?
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #690
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Another rare price drop for one of Simon Scarrow's Cato/Macro/Legions of the Empire titles in the US - Britannia is the fourteenth in the series, and has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle and Kobo US. I started reading and really enjoying this series years ago when I used to go to the UK on business trips from time to time, and picked them up in DTB. So it's nice to see a price drop on an ebook here in the US.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014E0EB92
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/bri...he-empire-14-1

Spoiler:
Quote:
IF YOU DON'T KNOW SIMON SCARROW, YOU DON'T KNOW ROME!

A Sunday Times bestseller. Shortlisted for the Wilbur Smith Adventure Writing Prize.

Simon Scarrow's veteran Roman soldier heroes face a cunning and relentless enemy in BRITANNIA, the unforgettable fourteenth novel in the bestselling Eagles of the Empire series.

Roman Britain, AD 52. The western tribes prepare to make a stand. But can they match the discipline and courage of the legionaries?

Wounded Centurion Macro remains behind in charge of the fort as Prefect Cato leads an invasion deep into the hills. Cato's mission: to cement Rome's triumph over the natives by crushing the Druid stronghold. But with winter drawing in, the terrain is barely passable through icy rain and snowstorms.

When Macro's patrols report that the natives in the vicinity of the garrison are thinning out, a terrible suspicion takes shape in the battle-scarred soldier's mind. Has the acting Governor, Legate Quintatus, underestimated the enemy? If there is a sophisticated and deadly plan afoot, it's Cato and his men who will pay the price...

Includes maps, chart and author Q&A.

And another somewhat recent price drop, to $0.99, on the tenth title in the series, The Legion, is still good. Links and info on that, as well as some other random info are in this previous post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3883350
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote