Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-14-2019, 12:51 AM   #46
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Once you grab up your fan fiction using the FanFicFare Plugin creating covers for them should be easy enough.
It would be nice if I could extract the first handful of images in an epub (or html converted from epub) and pick one as a cover. The calibre metadata editor already does that for PDFs, showing the first screenful of page thumbnails...

I already do this by copying images from the epub viewer (and with difficulty, the epub editor), but frequently the first good image in an epub is somewhere on page 20...

Of course, the next thing I would want would be to take several of those images and composite them...
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:36 AM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
It would be nice if I could extract the first handful of images in an epub (or html converted from epub) and pick one as a cover. The calibre metadata editor already does that for PDFs, showing the first screenful of page thumbnails...

I already do this by copying images from the epub viewer (and with difficulty, the epub editor), but frequently the first good image in an epub is somewhere on page 20...

Of course, the next thing I would want would be to take several of those images and composite them...
Where there is a problem like that, I use the editor to set the cover using the desired image. I usually use the add cover tool, but setting the image as the cover is enough. Then, the metadata editor will get the right.

But, I'll have to add a warning. I just did this and there is a problem. It is something I had noticed before, but, hadn't connected the dots.

I needed an epub with multiple images in it, so converted a CBZ I had to epub. That duplicates the first image and adds it as cover.jpg.

Then, I edited the book and selected one of the other images and marked it as the cover. Saved and opened the metadata editor. Then selected the epub version and pressed the button to get the cover. And, as expected, it retrieved the image I had set as the cover. But, as I didn't want that to be the cover, I cancelled and opened the epub in the editor. As I have the options set to update the metadata and the cover when opening the editor, it did that. But, that means it replaced the random image I had marked as the cover with the one that the library had as a cover. Which is working as designed, but not what I really intended.

And, there is another problem if you use the add cover tool in the editor. That will change which image is the cover image, and removes the old cover image. Again, working as designed, but probably not quite what we expected. This I noticed a couple of weeks ago along with something that is definitely a bug. When this happens, other pages containing the either the previous cover image, or the new cover image, can get changed. That I have a fix for, and need to finish testing.

And doing all that, makes me realise there is no simple way to duplicate a file inside the editor. For a text file, it isn't to bad (new file, copy all and paste). For an image, it needs an export followed by an import. It works, but, in six months time I'm going to be wondering what all those images are that are lying around
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 AM   #48
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I'd be happy if I could right click / copy image to clipboard in the editor like I can in the viewer. I'd be happier if in the metadata editor I could pick the epub format and click on cover icon (or right click maybe) and have it show me the current cover and the first 5-10 images...
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #49
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can copy image sin the editor by simply double cicking on them to view them and then clicking the copy button.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #50
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I'd be happy if I could right click / copy image to clipboard in the editor like I can in the viewer. I'd be happier if in the metadata editor I could pick the epub format and click on cover icon (or right click maybe) and have it show me the current cover and the first 5-10 images...
The editor allows you to view any image in the book and copy it to the clipboard using the copy to clipboard icon (see attached). You can also use the Add Cover tool (see attached) to select any image in the book and make it your cover. You might be able to get Kovid to patch this tool to the edit metadata editor book cover icon. Read this section to understand how to submit an enhancement request.

Additionally once you have an image copied to the clipboard you can simply paste it as the cover in the book details section of the calibre library. Just right click the big image of the selected book and select paste cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	editor.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	657.5 KB
ID:	169079   Click image for larger version

Name:	addcovertool.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	169080  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can copy image sin the editor by simply double cicking on them to view them and then clicking the copy button.
But, there is no way to paste that in as a new image. I can paste it over another existing image, but, I can't see a way to paste it as a new image in the epub.

I did try to add a new file with the appropriate file type. That gives a 0x0 sized image and show "Not a valid image" in the canvas. Pasting an image from the clipboard over that gives:

Code:
calibre, version 3.37.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ValueError</b>:Cannot perform operations on invalid images

calibre 3.37* [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.17134-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.17134')
Python 2.7.12+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.17134', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 0, 9) && ... [I have to many plugins]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "E:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\editor\image.py", line 212, in paste
  File "E:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\editor\canvas.py", line 357, in paste
  File "E:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\editor\canvas.py", line 195, in __init__
  File "E:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\editor\canvas.py", line 70, in __init__
ValueError: Cannot perform operations on invalid images
Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #52
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If the image is already in the book, why would you want to duplicate it? That is juts a waste of bytes.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #53
yonkyunior
Cultivator
yonkyunior doesn't litteryonkyunior doesn't litteryonkyunior doesn't litter

Device: PRST2
my most active library of mine not over 1000 books.
thats composed of my recent reading list.

archived library is more than 50k
divided to several libraries due the specific needs.
yonkyunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If the image is already in the book, why would you want to duplicate it? That is juts a waste of bytes.
My description above about the behaviour when you choose an existing image as a cover would be one reason. To be able to resize or otherwise fiddle with and reuse the image elsewhere is another. For that, it is probably better to export, make the changes elsewhere and import again. I don't remember exactly what I was doing at the time when I discovered this, but, I remember feeling that not being able to duplicate a file was missing function.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #55
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
I have about 13,000 books in my calibre library--that includes some fanfic and comics as well as conventional books.
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #56
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
How large is your Calibre library?

My library can’t even be called a library when compared to those here. As of right now my main library has 720 books. That’s 20yrs of ebooks. The number will rise though because I’m going through and splitting omnibuses. I, also, have a knitting library, a box set/omnibus library, and a comics library. The boxset library is where I send the originals after I’ve split them.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Last edited by JBaby; 08-19-2019 at 04:02 PM.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #57
kenmac999
kenmac999 began at the beginning.

Device: FBReader running on Android phone(s), Chromebook, Kindle Fire 7
My main or "Master" library currently has 1731 entries which consists of ebooks, paper books, and a single entry for each audio book. It also contains some fan fiction. I also have separate libraries for my paper and audio books. Creating a separate library for box-sets sounds like an interesting idea.
kenmac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #58
Oddball
Oddball began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Desktop
as of today my library is at 110500. i have a backlog of another 25k to 40k to add to calibre ( i think that is the number) mine collection is all over the place from a to z. I love the way Calibre works and enjoy using it!!!
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #59
richorlin
richorlin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Size of Calibre library

I've been adding books to Calibre since early 2010.
At this time, I have 14,887 retail books. I will never get around to reading even a quarter of them. Right now, after almost ten years, I guess you could call it a "hobby".
richorlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:21 AM   #60
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richorlin View Post
I've been adding books to Calibre since early 2010.
At this time, I have 14,887 retail books. I will never get around to reading even a quarter of them. Right now, after almost ten years, I guess you could call it a "hobby".
Wow. I've been buying ebooks since 2002, and I only have 3875 bought books in my calibre library.

Perhaps you might have a minor ebook buying addiction, rather than a hobby?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, library size