Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
Bookbee
Bookbee began at the beginning.

Device: jasondavis
Don't upgrade your iPhone 3GS to iOS4, DO upgrade your iPad

I've had diabolical trouble with WiFi on my iPad since I unboxed it. It drops even a strong signal and frequently "hangs" to the point where you have to switch off WiFi and start again. In case you haven't yet, the iOS3.2.1 upgrade fixes the issue.

BUT, DON'T upgrade your iPhone 3GS to iOS4 if you haven't. If you have upgraded and haven't had problems, well done. But I did and the WiFi on my 3GS is now broken - not to mention frequent freezing of the phone and crashes. And NEVER UPGRADE AN IPHONE 3G. I can't handle the software - by all accounts.
[Promotion deleted - MODERATOR]
Cheers - Jason

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-14-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Bookbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
iOS4 on a 3GS works fine for me. Sorry you're having a problem.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I have had no problem with iOS4 on my 3GS. But, my wife hates iOS4 on her 3G-it is more sluggish, and seems to have messed up the Photo app (weird black rectangles overlapping images). She is waiting impatiently for her iPhone 4
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I upgrade my wife's 3G and quickly downgraded it back to 3.1.3. Downgrading was quite a hassle, had to use an old computer with XP on it. Didn't work on 3 computers running Vista and Windows 7.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Wow, sorry you're having problems on your 3GS. I upgraded mine to iOS4 a few weeks back and once I got several of my apps updated to new versions as well, all has been fine.

Btw, I watched your video review of the Opus...nice...it is one of the devices on my short list to add to my current collection...which is only a K1 and my iPhone!
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
When I upgraded my 3GS to iOS 4, I lost 3G data and visual voicemail but wifi still worked. Apple and AT&T's official "fix" was to downgrade to 3.1.3, but the internet came through with a solution that involved taking a backup, deleting a specific file from the backup (bad APN settings?), restoring the phone to factory with iOS 4, and then restoring the backup minus the removed file. After that, all of my apps and data were back intact, my phone was on iOS 4, and 3G cellular data and VVM were back.

I'm pretty sure the problem was related to having previously jailbroke 3.1.3 using Spirit, so if you've never jailbroken your phone it should just work. If you have, it may break in different ways. Now I'm waiting for the new Spirit userland jailbreak for iOS 4.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I updated my 3G and haven't had problems. I've got only an 8GB model and still have nearly 6GB free on it, though. I just have apps and photos on it.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
*reg*
Human
*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo, iPhone
Both my husband and i have 3GS iphones and neither of us have had a problem after upgrading. Must be luck of the draw.
*reg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:47 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Apple forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:01 AM   #10
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I don't think there's really any problem with iOS 4. My friend and his wife both updated their 3GS almost as soon as it came out, and they're loving it.

There are always going to be a few people who have problems. Your case is probably just an unfortunate occurrence, but in the minority. If the issue was common, I'm sure it would have been major news by now, specially on the back of the whole iPhone 4 antenna controversy.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #11
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Do the problems remain after restoring the phone?
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #12
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
My 3GS is running iOS4 with no real problems, although I do find that I get occasional slowdowns. These are less common with 4.0.1 than they were with 4.0.0 but still occur sometimes. It's just a nuisance, though, since a device shutdown and restart corrects the problem, and iOS4's new features are otherwise worth it.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
No problems with me with 4.01 on a 3 gs
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookbee View Post
And NEVER UPGRADE AN IPHONE 3G. I can't handle the software - by all accounts.
I can't speak for all 3G phones, but my husband and I are using jailbroken/unlocked 4.0 (not 4.01) on 8GB 3G models. However, I turned off wallpaper, multi-tasking and battery status during the jailbreak process.

4.0 is faster on my 3G at a few things (Safari) and slower at others (switching apps, looking up phone numbers).

But I've decided its worth it so I'm keeping it at 4.0.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
don't upgrade your ipad to 3.2.1 if you want to keep it jailbroken.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, iphone, wifi