Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Mini-FAQ: What ebook formats can I read on an iPad/iPhone?

Let's start a list of what ebook formats the iPad/iPhone can read, and what apps you need to get to read them!

Maybe something like:

DRM Formats, Vendor Specific:
iBooks (Fairplay ePub)
iBooks

Kindle (various formats)
Kindle App, by Amazon (iPad and iPhone apps available, no sideloading)

Barnes and Noble (Adobe Ignoble PDF and ePub)
Barnes and Noble eReader Apps, by Barnes and Noble (iPad and iPhone apps available, no sideloading)

DRM Formats, General:
Adobe Inept (PDF and ePub)
Kobo, by Kobo (iPad and iPhone apps available, no sideloading)
Txtr, by Txtr (iPhone app available)

Non-DRM Formats:
ePub
iBooks, by Apple (iPad app available now, iPhone app 6/21)
Stanza App, by Lexcycle (iPad and iPhone apps available)
IBIS Reader, by Threepress (HTML5 based, no app required)

PDF
Stanza, by Lexcycle (iPad and iPhone apps available)
Cloudreaders by Cloudreaders
GoodReader by Good-i-Ware
iBooks, by Apple (for both iPad and iPhone on 6/21)

Mobi

PDB
iSilo by iSilo (iPad and iPhone apps available)

Other:
Comics (CBR, CBZ)
Cloudreaders by Cloudreaders
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/comic...=8] Comic Zeal by bitolithic.

Unsupported:
Sony Reader by Sony.

edit: There is a FAQ here as well , thanks, nikkie!

Last edited by kjk; 06-15-2010 at 03:12 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Available on teh wiki here.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
lukasfikr
Enthusiast
lukasfikr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3, Apple iPad/iPhone 4
PDB books you can read with iSilo
lukasfikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfikr View Post
PDB books you can read with iSilo
And Stanza (which now has a good iPad version).... In Stanza you can go to your Fictionwise account and get your Fictionwise and eReader libraries imported directly onto your iPad
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
you ought to include the comic book files.. cbz and cbr (any others?) as well. might also be useful to mention that the stock os can read .doc .txt and .rtf, and so can any apps that support the built-in formats.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Should I update this thread or just direct people to the FAQ, as nikkie noted? I didn't even know Mobileread had all those pages.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
what's wrong with both? lol. not like we don't get duplicate threads..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Should I update this thread or just direct people to the FAQ, as nikkie noted? I didn't even know Mobileread had all those pages.
I think the more this info is put in front of new users, the better. As we all know, on forums (in general) about 80% of the questions are just the same 20 questions over and over....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:08 AM   #9
Yadina
Check my way and follow
Yadina began at the beginning.

I use Good reader to view my pdf files on my iPad. Sounds there are still some problems, it doesn't support automatically text wrap.
Yadina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
blueoyster
blueoyster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Is there any app that can handle chm format?
blueoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #11
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoyster View Post
Is there any app that can handle chm format?
blueoyster, Bookshelf (http://www.iphonebookshelf.com/formats.html ) says they support it-but they convert it to HTML first.

I believe Calibre opens CHM and can convert it to ePub.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
blueoyster
blueoyster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
blueoyster, Bookshelf (http://www.iphonebookshelf.com/formats.html ) says they support it-but they convert it to HTML first.

I believe Calibre opens CHM and can convert it to ePub.
I have used Calibre to convert CHM to ePub. It mostly does the job but the deal breaker is that it does not handle "Code" section very well.
blueoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:50 AM   #13
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
And Stanza (which now has a good iPad version).... In Stanza you can go to your Fictionwise account and get your Fictionwise and eReader libraries imported directly onto your iPad
Thanks for the tip; I downloaded Stanza for iPad but haven't really played much with it and hadn't realised this was possible. Neat.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote