Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #31
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
The close association in function between a phone and a service provider just isn't there for ebooks.

You don't buy an "ebook service". You buy the ebooks. One at a time. It's a fundamental difference. My phone is instantly useless if I can't make calls, but I definitely want my ereader to keep working if I stop buying books.

One model that might work is subscriber access to large ebook libraries. But this seems limited in relevance to academic books and most academics and engineers already have direct access via their companies institutional subscriptions.

The price curve will gradually go sub 100 soon enough, no need to hurry. I'm actually very surprised at how quickly they achieved $149 with the Kobo, that's an impressive feat of engineering.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #32
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I was going to point oout, as others before me have, that you can already get $100 off Kindle, or any other device (iPod, Zune) that can play Audible audiolbooks, IF you subscribe to Audible for at least one year at time of purchase.
If this is more than a rumor, it is conceivable that Amazon could have an eBook club, with the ebooks, or even printed books, purchased from Amazon. As a basic business model, it is not unreasonable. Yes, they will be subsidizing the hardware through eBook sales, but they've already proved their marketing abilities,
Despite my misgivings about being roped into a contract, I would actually give this serious consideration, especially if I could figure out how to make it a tax-deductible business expense.
While neither the B&N Nook, Sony, Kobo, nor any other eReader to come down the pike is likely to be the dreaded "Kindle Killer," each and every one of them takes a Market share. I love my Nook, but realistically, it has a long way to go to sell more units than Kindle has in place. However, when you combine the numbers of non-Kindle eReaders, you can see how the big A might want to try some new strategeries (yeah, I said "stategeries," deal.) to make their product more appealing. Having a perceived price point of $59, and making the difference over a year or so, while creating a habit is the consumers of purchasing at least one or two books a month from Amazon (Sales that could have gone to B&N, Borders, Sony, Kobo, EZRead, or Bob the Weather-Cat) make Amazon more profitable, and their competators less profitable in the long run. If they do it right, and I see no reason they wouldn't, they will continue to score high marks in customer service, increasing word-of-mouth sales,
Amazon knows that they need to provide their customers with what they want, and they obviously know what their customers want.

Last edited by Poppa1956; 06-20-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: I edited this comment, just so I could put something in this little box. It floats my boat.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #33
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I just saw this story about a $149 Wifi only Nook. Clearly the gadget makers are trying to get the price down.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/20/w...ase-costs-149/
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:38 AM   #34
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
If that's true, then it's excellent. $149 is a pretty good price for a Nook.

Since the 3G isn't applicable to my part of the world, I, for one, have no problem with WiFi only.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 AM   #35
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
I just saw this story about a $149 Wifi only Nook. Clearly the gadget makers are trying to get the price down.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/20/w...ase-costs-149/
That's great news. Thanks for sharing.

Something is happening as Google is already advertising it.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 03:32 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I wonder if this indicates that B&N are considering selling this device outside North America? That would certainly be a good reason to get rid of the CDMA wireless connection which would obviously be useless elsewhere.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #37
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
So it's basically the same device without 3G, they're just reducing the price point to compete with the Kobo. Very nice.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #38
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa1956 View Post
I was going to point oout, as others before me have, that you can already get $100 off Kindle, or any other device (iPod, Zune) that can play Audible audiolbooks, IF you subscribe to Audible for at least one year at time of purchase.
If this is more than a rumor, it is conceivable that Amazon could have an eBook club, with the ebooks, or even printed books, purchased from Amazon. As a basic business model, it is not unreasonable. Yes, they will be subsidizing the hardware through eBook sales, but they've already proved their marketing abilities,
Despite my misgivings about being roped into a contract, I would actually give this serious consideration, especially if I could figure out how to make it a tax-deductible business expense.
While neither the B&N Nook, Sony, Kobo, nor any other eReader to come down the pike is likely to be the dreaded "Kindle Killer," each and every one of them takes a Market share. I love my Nook, but realistically, it has a long way to go to sell more units than Kindle has in place. However, when you combine the numbers of non-Kindle eReaders, you can see how the big A might want to try some new strategeries (yeah, I said "stategeries," deal.) to make their product more appealing. Having a perceived price point of $59, and making the difference over a year or so, while creating a habit is the consumers of purchasing at least one or two books a month from Amazon (Sales that could have gone to B&N, Borders, Sony, Kobo, EZRead, or Bob the Weather-Cat) make Amazon more profitable, and their competators less profitable in the long run. If they do it right, and I see no reason they wouldn't, they will continue to score high marks in customer service, increasing word-of-mouth sales,
Amazon knows that they need to provide their customers with what they want, and they obviously know what their customers want.
I agree. Just like the Columbia House record club of the past - 12 albums for a penny and you have to buy 6 more over the next year.... Now it would be a Kindle for $50 and 12 ebooks over the next year.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #39
dedo
Enthusiast
dedo doesn't litterdedo doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR800
I'm not sure at all that authors and publishers would like to be treated like 3G traffic to subsidize the hardware... nor I think it is feasable to lock-in users to consume ebooks according to a yearly plan. Apple hasn't done it for iPod & music afaik.
dedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #40
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
No Apple hasn't done it for Music. But Microsoft has it for the Zune (The Zune Pass) and there are others that have done subscriptions for music. Audible does subscription systems for audiobooks.

However, a book system would have to go up against the library system.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #41
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's another mention of the cheap ereader with a subscription ebook service. Check the last paragraph.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...eadlinesArea.0
Old 06-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #42
dedo
Enthusiast
dedo doesn't litterdedo doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR800
I think Godin could have studied the market a little bit (a lot) more accurately.

Both producers and customers love always-on connectivity: it is a great sales driver and it is comfortable.

From his article it is difficult even to understand if $49 is a producer cost, a customer price or a subsidized price. $49 is indeed very very low, even taking in account only the screen.

Finally, more important: how long do you think you can keep selling 0.1MB at $10?
dedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #43
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
I think Godin most likely means $49 cost to customer, just the device. He's also giving a few more marketing tactics to show how this could work even having it at $49. Subscription or book of the month models work. Just because they haven't been done, doesn't mean its not worth trying. Its not an exact comparison either between music and ebooks because music is way more readily downloadable for free than ebooks are currently. People expect free music. Not true YET for ebooks.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #44
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Many cusotmers do like instant/always on 3g- as long as its "free". i read here and other places many people who are wary of the 3g for 2 reasons- 1. its used to try to lock you in to one content provider 2. It wont always be free or it will not be supported . IT will be very interesting to see what develops with the Irex DR800SG. Will verizon keep providing the 3g service for free if Irex completely goes away?

wifi works just fine. more and more places have free hotspots- Starbucks is going totally free/open. And i don't have to worry that he provider might drop it.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #45
Rich_D
Fanatic

Connectivity isn't a big deal for me with an e-ink device. I keep my nook in airplane mode at all times. It is nice knowing that I could buy a book anytime I want, but it's not a deal breaker for me.