Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
iPad reportedly overheating in the sun

From CNET:

"... PC Magazine editor Zach Honig posted on Twitter that he took his brand new iPad out in the sun in New York City (it's been over 70 in New York the last few days) and ten minutes later it shut down with the message, "iPad needs to cool down before you can use it." Honig stuck his iPad in the fridge and it was fine a few minutes later.

More anecdotes about iPad overheating trickled out on Easter Sunday and The Atlantic's blog did a nice round up of the complaints entitled, "Techies Fume over iPad's Hidden Weakness." In fact, the folks over at The Next Web discovered that the iPad's operating temperature is 32 degrees to 95 degrees F (0 to 35 C) when running or up to 113 degrees when off. The same is true for the iPhone, but the iPad, due to its size, appears to attract a lot more heat a lot more quickly. ...
"
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
The color and material do heat up in direct sunlight which isn't the best thing for viewing the screen anyways. I am not sure about sticking it in the fridge to cool it down though.
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

I posted about this the first day I got the ipad.

It definitely will overheat in direct sunlight.

It happened to me almost immediately when playing a game out by the pool in Vegas.

That's why I'll always keep a kindle around for direct sunlight, outside reading.

I should add that in the shade by the pool, it works wonderfully though.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I suspect that this is unlikely to be a problem here in England .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I suspect that this is unlikely to be a problem here in England .
I haven't read any reports of it happening here in FL yet but most people here avoid doing things in direct sun this time of the year .
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 02:14 AM   #6
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
Interesting, I might be up a creek in aug as it is routinely over 110 every day
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I wonder if the guy who baked his eyepad in the microwave had it shut down from overheating!1
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Johannes
Enthusiast
Johannes began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad
Not in Houston

Have used my iPad quite extensively outside here in Houston, TX. Always in a shadow spot, of course. No overheating (yet). Having said that the +90's are still to come...
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
More than likely an overly-conservative setting that they will change with an update this summer... not that I expect this to be much of an issue here in BC.

But then, we all know that even the best LCD screens suck in direct sunlight... The shade is our friend in more ways than one.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Fotoman, actually, there are LCD designs which work in full sunlight:

http://www.irontech.com/industrial_L..._sunlight.html

William
(who is writing this up in the light of a sunny window)
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
just because the display will work in the sun doesn't mean the rest of the electronics aren't going to overheat.

personally, i'd rather have the safety of a device shutting down because it's too hot than one overheating and destroying itself. remember, the ipad has no fan to keep cool with and no ventilation, heat is dissipated through the back panel, hardly an idea mechanism. apple could have added vent slots, which let dust and dirt in, or a fan, which would have made it thicker and loud, not to mention the impact on battery life.

expect this to be an issue on any tablet that is released, they are all going to have to address heat issues somehow. we'll see what manufacturers come up with.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Fotoman, actually, there are LCD designs which work in full sunlight:
My Garmin GPS receiver has a transreflective LCD that works just as well in bright sunlight as indoors in dim light. It would be nice to have that kind of display on the iPad or iPod Touch.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
My Garmin GPS receiver has a transreflective LCD that works just as well in bright sunlight as indoors in dim light. It would be nice to have that kind of display on the iPad or iPod Touch.
Yes, I also have a Garmin and wondered why other devices don't have some of its features, such as:

-- Touch screen, but with glass a lot less shiny and a lot less likely to show fingerprints than, say, an iPad.

-- Touch screen works when I wear gloves, unlike with iPad or iPhone.

-- Able to stay highly readable and functioning no matter the lighting or sunshine. For instance, I've driven through desert with the Garmin baking in the sun. No problems.

Are these features somehow too expensive to implement in computer or tablet form? Are they proprietary? (I've no experience with other GPS devices, so dunno whether they work similarly.)

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 05-14-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Typos
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
well, one thing to keep in mind is the garmin has a resistive touch screen, which requires pressure, the ipad has a capactive touch screen, which works off the electrical charge in your finger. two completely different technologies.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
well, one thing to keep in mind is the garmin has a resistive touch screen, which requires pressure, the ipad has a capactive touch screen, which works off the electrical charge in your finger. two completely different technologies.
I read a little about how each works, but I'm not clear why one works better than the other in various applications.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote