Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
e2c
e2c began at the beginning.

Device: none
newbie question regarding root directory

Hi all,

I've been trying to find some tutorials on this here on the site, as well as on the Kindle Wiki, and so far am coming up with nothing.

I would like to be able to access my K2's root directory. How do I go about doing that? (I'm running Vista Home Premium and have tweaked the settings so that I can view hidden files and folders within Windows itself.)

My apologies if I'm asking an overly-obvious question... but I'm sure I'm not the only person who has wondered about this.

Best regards,
e2c
e2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The "root" is a designation for the topmost directory. So when you first open the Kindle drive on your PC and see documents, music, system, etc. you're in the root directory.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
e2c

Ah, OK - and thanks!

I've seen some screenshots regarding Savory (I think) where the device's directories were actually displayed - would be nice to know how to do that, too!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not really sure what you mean; as you say you can see the system and other directories already.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
e2c

Sorry for the confusion - I meant system folder, etc., as here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44122

Maybe it's necessary to run Linux to get the kinds of screenshots of the computer's HD that show the contents of the K2's system folder? I'm really not sure.

Either that, or the terminology (system folder vs. root directory) is confusing me!
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur

I don't see any screenshots in that thread so again I don't know specifically what you're expecting to see.

You said before "I'm running Vista Home Premium and have tweaked the settings so that I can view hidden files and folders within Windows itself." so I assumed when you open your Kindle drive when connected to your PC you see the system folder. If not, you have to do Tools -> Folder Options, click on the view tab, and then click on then Hidden files and folders and select Show hidden files and folders.

The system folder is in the root directory along with all the other folders. Why do you want to see it?
Old 04-30-2009, 02:07 AM   #7
e2c

There are screenshots on the Savory web page. I am not sure how to install Savory without being able to see the K2's system folder.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
In order to see the Kindle's system folder from Windows Vista, you have to uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
e2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damętas View Post
In order to see the Kindle's system folder from Windows Vista, you have to uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."
Dametas - many thanks! I'll give it a try.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur

Ahh, yeah, I was talking XP. Don't know what's different on Vista.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
e2c

Vista has some very odd default settings - some of them are quite frustrating, the User Account Control stuff in particular. I spent a good deal of time at the How-To Geek site when I 1st got this laptop, learning how to tweak and/or turn off a lot of these things.