Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #61
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
"Amazon *does* reserve the right to do that in the future...." !!!!!

Hey, do you actually spend your day studying Amazon's Kindle documentation and updates?! This is some pretty intimate knowledge!
1) When splashing out 360$ on a new device it's a good idea to read up about it.

2) if you think a company is breaking its promises, it's a good idea to double check the promises before complaining.

So I think sirbruce did a very reasonable thing, in both cases.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:35 AM   #62
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
1) When splashing out 360$ on a new device it's a good idea to read up about it....
At least sirbruce seems to have a sense of humor about it....

But if you read every paragraph of every warranty and every agreement for every gadget or appliance you ever buy, you'd be a really, really weird individual.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #63
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Oh, I was laughing.

Quote:
But if you read every paragraph of every warranty and every agreement for every gadget or appliance you ever buy, you'd be a really, really weird individual.
(Shrug) if you say so.

So, are you interested in bridges?

Last edited by catsittingstill; 05-01-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: clarity
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #64
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Yes, well, I also happily use Google (monopoly on the web search market), Microsoft (monopoly on the PC OS market), etc. Ebooks were still on the path of obscurity before Amazon got involved; Windows 95 was key in making the Internet easily accessible to the masses; Google made it possible to actually grok the huge amount of information available on the web.
Google gained a 'monopoly' on search by being the best engine. MS has used monopolistic practices and been successfully sued, at least in Europe. Those are apples and oranges. Amazon's ebook practices are much closer to MS's than to Google's - so while I will 'happily' use Google, I only grudgingly use MS because Apples are overpriced and I'm not computer savvy enough to use Linux.

And if Amazon does succeed in monopolizing ebooks, I'll ditch the ebooks (even though I've been a long-time user and even a one-time publisher), because there's just plainly no need for them to do what they're doing.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #65
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Amazon's ebook practices are much closer to MS's than to Google's
On the whole I agree with this, but Amazon does have the best e-book distribution system. It is going to be interesting to see if others can copy it successfully. Stanza was trying to put in place a "shop where ever you want" alternative that had a real chance of succeeding, which I think is why Amazon snapped them up before this could gather steam (back to MS-like behaviour).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #66
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:

They mention the charge on the same page you quoted about no monthly wireless charges. It was just a few inches away. It's not burried in any fine print. I quoted this to you a couple pages back in this thread.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #67
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
They mention the charge on the same page you quoted about no monthly wireless charges. It was just a few inches away. It's not burried in any fine print. I quoted this to you a couple pages back in this thread.
Yes you did, and I meant to acknowledge it, but never got around to it

I did acknowledge that sirbruce's explanation was correct and clear.

But my comment above referred to the my retort to the statement, that "[Amazon would] have to charge for all web traffic if they start doing that, since you can't really tell an ebook from any other data stream reliably. And Amazon *does* reserve the right to do that in the future, but they aren't yet even via this latest announcement."
Old 05-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #68
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Just to clarify/reiterate what the agreement actually says:

"General. Amazon provides wireless connectivity free of charge to you for certain content shopping and downloading services on your device. You may be charged a fee for wireless connectivity for your use of other wireless services on your Device, such as Web browsing and downloading of personal files, should you elect to use those services. We will maintain a list of current fees for such services in the Kindle Store. Amazon reserves the right to discontinue wireless connectivity at any time or to otherwise change the terms for wireless connectivity at any time, including, but not limited to (a) limiting the number and size of data files that may be transferred using wireless connectivity and (b) changing the amount and terms applicable for wireless connectivity charges."
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #69
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Just to clarify/reiterate what the agreement actually says:

"General. Amazon provides wireless connectivity free of charge to you for certain content shopping and downloading services on your device. You may be charged a fee for wireless connectivity for your use of other wireless services on your Device, such as Web browsing and downloading of personal files, should you elect to use those services...."
O.K., you:

(a) are weird, with a warranties and agreements fetish; or

(b) have a girlfriend/boyfriend, who is the attorney writing these things for Amazon, and feeds you the information during "pillow talk," or

(c) are the attorney writing these things for Amazon.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #70
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I probably could have been a lawyer in another life; I've got the mind for it. Analyzing words, fitting them together, and deriving conclusions from them is fun! It's like math with letters.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #71
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
So has anyone actually sent documents to themselves yet to be converted to see if they charge?

If I send an .azw document to my kindle, is there a charge?
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #72
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I sent a document to myself today and have not seen a receipt for a charge (weird - it was a guide to pandemic response from work).
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #73
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I wouldn't be surprised if they are still using some minimum threshold (e.g, $3) before putting a charge through. Charging $.15 to a credit card is a losing proposition for Amazon, given the merchant fees.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote