Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
New to Sony PRS 700 and tons of questions

Hi,

I'm realy glad I found this forum. The last week I was reading me through tons of posts here and there was so much help and excellent information. Thumbs up for that! You are great!

I live in Germany and just 2 weeks ago the Sony PRS 505 finaly is sold over here and two big bookshops cooperate with Sony and offering now a lot of books in German.

Actualy I was looking for the Kindle 2, but there is no way over here to get some books for it. While I was doing my research on readers the PRS 700 cought my interest. I know about the display issues, since I never owned a reader before I guess it wont bother me that much at all.

I wanted the search funtction, the collections, the lights, the possibility to make notes, faster page turn, better pdf support etc. Now I orderd it a few days ago in the States and waiting despreratly till monday, since than it is suppose to arrive at my home. I'm so excited.

Has anyone of the PRS 700 users tried to apply a no-glare screen protection display foil? Did it help?

Is it possible to read books, that are bought at the Amazon book store on the Sony reader?

Ohhhhh, I cannot wait, to start my experience with a reader.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
First of all, welcome to Mobileread! I have also found so much helpful information here!
Secondly, congrats on getting a PRS-700! I love mine!

Quote:
Has anyone of the PRS 700 users tried to apply a no-glare screen protection display foil? Did it help?
No, I haven't tried it. I've really not found the glare to be much of an issue. It's just been a matter of angling the Reader slightly! Just as I didn't find the clarity a huge issue, never having had a Reader before myself!

Quote:
Is it possible to read books, that are bought at the Amazon book store on the Sony reader?
Are you talking about Kindle books? As far as I know, the answer is no.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
To buy books from Amazon, you need to have Kindle, iPhone or iTouch (not sure if they limit sales to US for last 2 devices). If you're able to buy from them, then search in the forums here, how to convert these books to Sony format.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
Hi,

Glare has never been a problem for me.

I am using the lights a lot - unless in truly bright light, the low setting helps a lot for me, but I sometimes have problems reading paper books in similar light.

As long as you can buy them, eg with an iTouch, sure you can; you need to transfer them to your PC - in the iTouch case the easiest way is to jailbreak it and sscp - takes under 30' to setup all with a Google search or two, but there are ways for non-jailbroken ones -

Then you get a prc book, sometimes drm'ed sometimes not; if not Calibre is perfect, if drm'ed, well the "usual" applies - see this forum Ebook-Formats/Mobi, look for Igor's blog online - another easy process to setup, maybe 30 minutes total, and then it's under 5 minutes per book
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, prs 700, sony