Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #136
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Got the update, and now my Glo won't sleep at all - no auto sleep, moi Sleep Cover sleep, and the Sleep slider doesn't put it to sleep either.

Now to see if I can reinstall the update, or whether I can find a sucker to unload what was my best ereader onto as constantly powering or on and off (among other bugs) was not why o got it on the first place.
I'd suggest a factory reset and then update again as that has been mentioned as fixing sleep issues in several threads. Of course, this tosses out your finished, in progress, annotations, etc but I've almost gotten used to doing that.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #137
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What I've now found is that the problem is intermittent and may not be related to the stylesheet or lack there of. I was reading A Civil Campaign also from Baen but one that I had already cleaned up, added a style sheet to replace the style header in each html file and added a re-sized cover image. Twice in the 20 chapters, I got the font size change so a 10% failure rate.

So I started opening a series of books and just paged through the chapters. The flyspeck font size happens at chapter boundaries and is not consistent -- I ran through War Maid's Choice three time and noted the issue at 2 or 3 chapters each time but different chapters each time. For now, I'm just tapping the middle of the page, font size up 1, font size down 1 and continuing on.
I don't have either book (I do have "A Civil Campaign" in paperback), so David Weber's "On Basilisk Station" sounds like a good test (but I really have to read it someday). I have my Touch and Glo sitting next to each other, one upside down, and just tapping the screen like you are. I haven't gotten all the way through yet, but haven't had the problem.

What did occur to me is that I use a smallish font size. So, I upped it by two steps on each device. And it could be font related. I user Georgia, size is 17 on the Touch and 23 on the Glo and the margins and line spacing are at the minimum. I could see the font and size affecting this. What are you using?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 02:28 AM   #138
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Connect it to Windows (or your favourite operating system) through USB.

Create directory on your hard drive somewhere.

Select all of the files on the device's drive and copy (don't move) to your backup directory on the hard drive.

If you need to use the backup, you can delete all the files on the Kobo and copy the backup files to the Kobo drive. I did this many times when the dancing squares problem was happening (2.0?).
Thanks Murg!
It was my inital thought to do it like that, but I then I started thinking that it could not be that easy. But sometimes things a just as simple as they appear

I will go ahead and backup my reader right away, just in case I inadvertently get my reader updated.
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #139
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
There is a thread about the "half-screen-blank" issue here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199944

Also, I have observed the same problems described in this thread:

- half-blank-screen, especially before large <p>'s
- sudden font changes, not invoked in the EPUB code
- shifted bookmarks
- <em>'s rendered in bold by default, instead of the more common italics
- smallcaps gone (though I have to verify this point --- I haven't had time yet)
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:15 AM   #140
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Got the update later that night (morning actually) through Desktop, and am just having the normal Kobo bug activity...
Awww my condolences, now you won't be getting a new device

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkodk View Post
Seems to me that there are too many issues with this update, so I will stay on 2.1.5 for as long as possible.
But will I be forced to update if I turn on WiFi, and sync with Kobo? Or is it possible to decline it?
Yes, like has been previously explained you can say "update later" or whatever the term, but you must remember to not restart your device. Restarting (switching off, and later on again; sleeping is okay) will trigger the update once it's downloaded.

Quote:
Thanks Murg!
It was my inital thought to do it like that, but I then I started thinking that it could not be that easy. But sometimes things a just as simple as they appear

I will go ahead and backup my reader right away, just in case I inadvertently get my reader updated.
If you're not on Windows, beware of hidden files. The .kobo folder will show up as hidden (um, so, it won't show up at all) on Mac OS (maybe also Linux, but not sure). You can manually view it via Finder->Go->Go to folder->"/Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo" and hitting Go. You'd be safer to backup the device with a disk image using Disk Utility.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #141
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Thanks Murg!

I usually (when I remember) backup the device when I upgrade to a new version of the firmware. That way, when the upgrade fails, I can load up the old firmware and restore the device to its previous glory.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:15 AM   #142
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'd suggest a factory reset and then update again as that has been mentioned as fixing sleep issues in several threads. Of course, this tosses out your finished, in progress, annotations, etc but I've almost gotten used to doing that.
By all accounts taking out the SD card, powering off, powering on then reinserting the SD card also works for this one.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #143
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
While we're on the subject of backing up the device, I also sometimes backup just the Kobo directories/files and not the ebooks, as I can always get the ebooks from where they live on my hard drive. This saves a bunch of space.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #144
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Had the chance to use my KG a little more since the 2.3.1 update and I gotta say, it's quite disappointing that Kobo let a FW update out with so many bugs.

The reader continues to not return to a book where I left off, I too have have had font sizes change independently of the actual ePub, sometimes page drawing is substantially slower than normal, I now have duplicate shelves that can't be deleted, and it seems like italics don't work on half the fonts.

I really like the new home screen layout and like that series information is now in the reader, but all the problems that have come with it do not make it worthwhile. If you're still on 2.1.5, try staying there until the next update is released (hopefully a 2.3.2, soon, Kobo?)

I really don't mean to compare here, but this is my first non-Apple product in a while, and while it's great how much customization is available on the Glo, there are basic QC/bug issues with their firmware that I simply could not fathom a larger company letting out the door. If Apple released products with problems as big as these...well...it wouldn't happen.

Kobo, I love the reader, but your latest update has actually made it a tangibly worse product. Please work on some fixes very soon.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #145
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Got the update, and now my Glo won't sleep at all - no auto sleep, moi Sleep Cover sleep, and the Sleep slider doesn't put it to sleep either.

Now to see if I can reinstall the update, or whether I can find a sucker to unload what was my best ereader onto as constantly powering or on and off (among other bugs) was not why o got it on the first place.
I simply logged out of my Kobo account and then logged back in (on the device). Fixed the problem for me.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #146
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky

Also, I never noticed this before, perhaps it's always like this, but if page numbers in margins is enabled, it messes up text...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356014887.383386.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	97996
Old 12-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #147
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Also, I never noticed this before, perhaps it's always like this, but if page numbers in margins is enabled, it messes up text...

Attachment 97996
It has always been like that. You either need to increase margins so that only the page numbers use that screen real-estate or turn off page numbers.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #148
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Yes, like has been previously explained you can say "update later" or whatever the term, but you must remember to not restart your device. Restarting (switching off, and later on again; sleeping is okay) will trigger the update once it's downloaded.
Thank you for clarifying Mrs_Often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
If you're not on Windows, beware of hidden files. The .kobo folder will show up as hidden (um, so, it won't show up at all) on Mac OS (maybe also Linux, but not sure). You can manually view it via Finder->Go->Go to folder->"/Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo" and hitting Go. You'd be safer to backup the device with a disk image using Disk Utility.
And a BIG thank you for this tip!
As it happens I am actually on Mac OS X. If you had not pointed this out, I probably would have walked right into that trap.
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #149
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
If Apple released products with problems as big as these...well...it wouldn't happen.
Like Apple Maps?
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #150
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
Like Apple Maps?
Knew that was coming That's a case more of "the book you're reading" isn't very good, as opposed to the tool you're using to read the book. Apple's map data sucks, but the actual Maps app is quite nice, and functions reliably and as expected.