Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #271
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Why argue points I've already stated, yes you don't get 3G access everywhere, and yes there is a limit to non-Amazon files or personal docs (and I do have over 3gb of space on my Kindle as I don't own a paperwhite ).

The bottom line is, both the Kobo and the Kindle have 2GB internal storage, and both are expandable, one with a physical SD card, the other with cloud based storage. Obviously the SD card is a better, more versatile option, but it doesn't mean the other is non-existent, that's the only point I am trying to make.
But they DON'T have 2gb usable space - saying so is misleading at best. And cloud storage is nonexistent storage if there's no signal. To say it's always there is like arguing that someone with a car has "unlimited mobility" - that's dependent on several factors.

Expandable storage can be changed as needed, and is used to refer to physical media in electronics. Cloud storage is something separate, and that's why Amazon calls it as it is.

The reason I'm being so obstinate is because the term expandable has a different meaning from what you're assigning to it. Amazon is very careful to refer to it as cloud storage for good reason. As they might get sued by a savvy lawyer and customer if they called it "expandable".

Also, the increase in cost with the reduction in storage and capabilities sticks in my craw, especially when it doesn't improve on my Kindle Touch - not with the complaints about the uneven screen and lack of availability.

Last edited by Haesslich; 10-20-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote