Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
EPub Finished using Sigil - Validate questions

I used Sigil and copied text from a word doc along with images into an saved Epub. looking at it on iPad it looks great in both views. I went to validate the files and I get the following screenshot in attached

OEBPS/Text/CoverImage.xhtml
This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).

OEBPS/Text/CoverImage.xhtml
This resource is present in the OPF <spine>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).

the text folder DOES NOT have CoverImage.xhtml inside, all xhtml files have section0001 0002 etc. How can I remove this error?

thx

RD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epubvalidationss.png
Views:	234
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	87483  
ralphiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
This means that in your opf-file, there is an entry for a file called CoverImage.xhtml, but the file cannot be reached (i.e. it does not exist). Correct the opf file and you're good to go

Edit: I see that the screenshot is different from the text quoted in your post. The screenshot indicates that the file CoverImage.xhtml is used as a reference somewhere, e.g. in a link. You could search for CoverImage in your book to find out where it's referenced, probably in one of the xhtml-files or the ncx file

Last edited by Iznogood; 06-08-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
As norway mentions, the error messages in the text of your post do not match the errors shown in the screenshot. That makes it difficult to help troubleshoot.

But taking a wild-a$$ed guess... I'd say your toc.ncx still contains an entry that points to the non-existent "CoverImage.xhtml" file (if the screenshot errors are the one's that are relevant).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Sorry bout that confusion. I did open the .opf and see the following in the spine

<guide>
<reference href="Text/CoverImage.xhtml" title="Cover" type="cover" />
</guide>

I changed that to the name of the cover.xhtml validated and see no problems.

One last question while I'm here.

This epub now validates fine, the client will upload this to sell in the iBooks store. I do not see the Apple
com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file in the epub files.

Will I need this so it validates in the Apple store?

thx

RD
ralphiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphiedee View Post
I do not see the Apple com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file in the epub files.

Will I need this so it validates in the Apple store?
I don't think you need the file at all unless you have embedded fonts and/or it's a fixed layout epub. But I know nothing about the validation requirements for Apple's store.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert