Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
He sure kills lots of people. Peasant die by the boat load at every turn. These people must be extremely fertile
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr72 View Post
The problem is for every character he kills off he introduces a new continents worth of characters.
Actually, I think a continent's worth rather overvalues the latest lots.............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #18
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr72 View Post
The problem is for every character he kills off he introduces a new continents worth of characters.
Kind of hard to have a compelling story if EVERYONE is dead!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #19
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Kind of hard to have a compelling story if EVERYONE is dead!
It can be if it could compel the author to bring about an end to the story...
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #20
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I looked it up out of curiosity and found someone who listed the number of named characters that have kicked the bucket, keeled over, popped their clogs, bought the farm, croaked, or otherwise found themselves sleeping the big sleep:

A Game of Thrones - 54 named deaths

A Clash of Kings - 72 named deaths

A Storm of Swords - 97 named deaths

A Feast for Crows - 23 (give or take a couple)

A Dance with Dragons - 35

The characters are named, but not included here to avoid spoilers.

POV death numbers are pretty low...so far. Less than a dozen?
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
POV death numbers are pretty low...so far. Less than a dozen?
Not counting prequel/epilogue characters, I count one (Ned Stark), unless you count Catelyn Stark as well. Prologue/epilogue characters increase the count, since a lot of those chapters end with the POV character dying. But keep in mind I haven't finished book five yet so I don't know if any more POV characters die in the second half.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I meant to start reading these books for a long time. However, I've gathered that there's a good chance that the series might not be completed by the author, both due to the time element (i.e, he's taking too effing long. He's made a lot of money, and all those cruises and vacations aren't going to take themselves, you see ) and because there's apparently so many loose threads hanging now that it would be very tough to get them all tied up in a satisfactory manner without requiring the author to write many more books in the series. I'm prepared to wait for the series to be finished before starting on the books I'd hate to be left hanging.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #23
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Not counting prequel/epilogue characters, I count one (Ned Stark), unless you count Catelyn Stark as well. Prologue/epilogue characters increase the count, since a lot of those chapters end with the POV character dying. But keep in mind I haven't finished book five yet so I don't know if any more POV characters die in the second half.
Total of eight, then, including the two you mention. The others would be...Will, Cressen, Chett, Merrett Frey, Pate and Arys Oakheart....(haha, I like your typing in white trick)!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #24
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I meant to start reading these books for a long time. However, I've gathered that there's a good chance that the series might not be completed by the author, both due to the time element (i.e, he's taking too effing long. He's made a lot of money, and all those cruises and vacations aren't going to take themselves, you see ) and because there's apparently so many loose threads hanging now that it would be very tough to get them all tied up in a satisfactory manner without requiring the author to write many more books in the series. I'm prepared to wait for the series to be finished before starting on the books I'd hate to be left hanging.
The first three books were great, and I would heartily recommend them. If you can live with an unfinished story, I would just skip books 4 and 5 (and any subsequent books he may get around to writing in between the cruises, vacations, conventions, and watching/blogging about football).
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #25
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Mmmmm....

I'm sorry, but couldn't resist, when I saw this was the next thread in line....

"Before I Go To Sleep ......."

As in "quick, finish it ....?

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 AM   #26
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I'm wondering.... Do you think it's worth holding out hope that the huge success of the Game of Thrones TV series might provide the encouragement Martin needs in order to finish the story within a "reasonable" (ok, it's already beyond reasonable) time? With season 2 kicking off on Sunday the seventh series should run in the Spring of 2017, meaning volume 7 ought to be finished at least a year before that (assuming it stays at 7 volumes of course).

Presumably injecting a one year (or two, or...) pause into the running schedule would give HBO a serious earache (angry letters, angry e-mails, angry everything), which again might tricle down to the source, spurring him on.

Oh well, just a stray thought. Not really like me to come up with optimistic scenarios anyway.

Last edited by Belfaborac; 03-28-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To be perfectly honest... I don't see the HBO series going the entire distance anyway. But even if it does, I don't think they're going to stick to a "one book/one season" format the entire way. I'm pretty sure they've already discussed making two seasons out of A Storm of Swords. And of course, Feast for Crows/A Dance with Dragons will have to have a completely different treatment for television. A TV audience won't tolerate the popular characters disappearing for an entire season (ratings would plummet), so I expect the events of those two books will be interleaved (for a total of 2 - 2.5 seasons).

Plus, the way I understand it, HBO wouldn't have to wait... they've been given a general outline of the way things might wrap up—in the event something happens to George or the book series. And for all legal intents and purposes, the TV show is autonomous. They can deviate if need be. All they're obligated to do is offer George the opportunity to write one episode per season. That more than anything is what I'm hoping will inspire him to stay ahead of the TV series: vanity.
(I don't mean that disparagingly toward Mr. Martin; I would be vain about my own creation as well)

I don't see the book series wrapping up in seven, regardless.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
With season 2 kicking off on Sunday the seventh series should run in the Spring of 2017
Remember, though, that HBO series don't necessarily run one season per year. Sometimes they take a year or two off. Although with the fact that there are so many kids on the show, I'm sure they'd want to film it all as quick as possible before they grow up.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #29
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Lots of good points...
...none of which occurred to me as that stray, optimistic thought hit me just before I hit the sack. Where I hope you're wrong is regarding HBO not lasting the whole nine yards, since - and I say this about twice every decade - I absolutely love the TV series. I suspect the remainder is spot-on though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Remember, though, that HBO series don't necessarily run one season per year. Sometimes they take a year or two off. Although with the fact that there are so many kids on the show, I'm sure they'd want to film it all as quick as possible before they grow up.
I'm less than familiar with HBO's routines, but I'm sure you're correct. You're the American, after all. I'm sure you're correct on the latter point too, although personally I can't for the life of me remember who lasts for five minutes before being killed off and who is more persistent. I've read the first three books (and own all five), but it's been soooo loooong and I've forgotten it all. Except for what's in season one of the series, that is.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Where I hope you're wrong is regarding HBO not lasting the whole nine yards, since - and I say this about twice every decade - I absolutely love the TV series.
I actually hope I'm wrong too. I'm just basing my opinion on the fact that TV shows I enjoy always manage to get canceled early. I heard HBO actually increased GoT's budget... so that has to be seen as a positive sign, anyway.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote