Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Question Sale of T-1 in US is delayed?

I placed couple of pre-orders for T-1 in several very reputable and trustworthy stores, including SonyStyle... and yesterday I got an email from one of them, saying that "...Sony has postponed sales of the new model in the USA until January 2012..."

Last edited by Yar-PocketBooker; 09-27-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

If that turns out to be the case, I think Sony is going to lose what little following they have in the USA market. We tend to not like getting an extended middle finger which is what Sony will be sending us rather than readers. I'm not surprised though as they obviously neglected the USA market with their x50 series. I'm glad I'm not planning on buying one.

EDIT: The one thing about this possible delay that is odd is Sony made such a big deal about the HP books. If they miss the HP going digital date in the USA they will miss a huge marketing bonanza.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-20-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Not sure of Yar-PocketBookers source, so I could be quoting the same one, but ABT Electronics is stating an ETA of Jan. 2012.

http://www.abt.com/product/56349/Sony-PRST1HBC.html

Sony Black Wi-Fi Pottermore Edition eBook Reader - PRST1HBC/ Wi-Fi Access To Over 2 Million Titles/ 6" (600x800) Clear Enhanced Touch Screen/ 2GB Internal Memory (Optional MicroSD Media To Expand Your Storage To 32GB)/ E-Ink Pearl V220 Glare-Free Screen/ 16 Level Gray Scale/ 12 Built-In Dictionaries/ Note-Taking/ Stores Up To 1200 Titles/ Bookmark Pages/ Audio Playback/ Includes Voucher Coupon Code For A Free Download Of Book 1 Of The Harry Potter Series/ Black Finish/ ETA January 2012

Note: As of 9/27/2011, Abt has since removed the linked page and the new pages for the PRS-T1 no longer provide an ETA.

Last edited by Ken401; 09-27-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Linked page no longer available.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
If this is true it's really stupid since they've already pulled the X50s off the market, so what the hell will they be selling for 4 months ? Fish and fruit ? Are they trying to ruin themselves ?
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Both store.sony.com and newgg still list 10/2 as release date?
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
If this is true, eBay prices will probably go up now for discontinued models.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
How can they go up any further from where they are right now ?
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Do you suppose they have already sold out their current inventory?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
If this is true, eBay prices will probably go up now for discontinued models.
Hmmm maybe I should sell my extra unopened 650.

The delay sucks. I feel bad for the ones who got excited about this. 4 months of prime reading time(fall/winter) without your new T1's.

Last edited by Tony1988; 09-20-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
If this is true then they have made a big mistake. Pre-Christmas sales are big for many readers & they are going to miss out on that.

I hadn't planned on getting a T1 since I like my PRS 350 so it doesn't bother me.....But I feel bad for all of the people eagerly awaiting the new reader.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
i'd bet it's an inventory problem....the preorders are sold out and they won't get any more till later....Newegg is only selling the red one now, the other 2 colors aren't even listed.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

i called sony, they said it was still slated for 10/2
Old 09-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
i'd bet it's an inventory problem....the preorders are sold out and they won't get any more till later....Newegg is only selling the red one now, the other 2 colors aren't even listed.
Newegg is showing the black one now as well as the red one. The black one is NOT the Pottermore version. Availability date is still October 2nd.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
Even if it is an inventory issue due to being sold out all I can say is deja vu! Sony never got a handle on the USA market for the x50 readers, now the same appears to be happening for the T1. If Sony is running low on supplies it is only because they chose to not build enough units to begin with. No good company will release a product, sell a handful of units, then claim they are out of stock. That is market suicide.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #15
krighton
Addict

well all versions still seem available at Sonystyle....i thought all the black versions would be the pottermore editions.

the white one just popped up on newegg.

Last edited by krighton; 09-20-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Tags
sony new model, sony t-1