Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #31
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
W00T! W00T, I say! I don't much care if it gets (transparently) converted on load to something else, if .epub managed to become the de facto standard for e-book distribution, that'd effectively end e-babel too. You'd just download the .epub and save it, and let your reader process it as needed -- heck, that's effectively what 'regular' computers do with all files anyway, and it doesn't bother anything.

Thanks for the info Nick!

Regarding extra-U.S. distribution on the Kindle, I'd think it may be more likely than some might suppose. I mean, Amazon and Mobipocket already have distribution rights for books in multiple countries, so I'm guessing that the only real questions remaining would then be network compatibility with the wireless, and who gets the concession on the wireless. Surely those can't be that difficult?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
so I'm guessing that the only real questions remaining would then be network compatibility with the wireless, and who gets the concession on the wireless. Surely those can't be that difficult?
If it's standard WiFi there's no issue - that's an international standard. If it's some other "custom" wireless system, that could be an issue - radio frequency allocations are completely different in the US and Europe. Remember years back there was a Palm device with some kind of radio capability? (Palm 7?) That was only ever sold in the US because its radio frequency wasn't licenced for that purpose in Europe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #33
jmorton
Connoisseur
jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Although plenty of us here have ereaders, I don't think any of these devices are going to really catch on until the price dips to $99. Right now, it looks like Sony will be the first one to that table. I sincerely hope that the Kindle looks nothing like the pictures of the prototype on the web. That is one ugly device.

All of these guys would do well to follow Apple's lead and offer them to students at discounts. Those poor kids have to schlep so many books. An ereader would be a great solution for Humanities class. I still get shivers when I think about that stack of books I had to purchase (many of which are now PD).

Jim
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If it's standard WiFi there's no issue - that's an international standard.
That's why I think it ought to be Wi-Fi, but I think EVDO was the last thing we heard.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks - I hadn't heard about that, so I've just read about it on Wiki. Shame if they do use it. I don't believe it'll work in Europe and presumably it'll be a subscription-based service too. You're right - WiFi would be a so much better choice.
Advert
Old 09-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist

I s'pose they could use the European equivalent of EVDO, probably just a chip or module switch to accomplish it. But WiFi would be ever so much less trouble for all concerned.

Maybe that's what they've been doing for the last year: converting it to WiFi ... and redesigning the enclosure.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #37
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Amazon Kindle in the news

As of 2pm eastern, there are at least 39 stories about the Kindle that cite the NYTimes article as the only source of information. I, for one, do not trust the NYTimes to get the facts straight.

http://news.google.com/news?ie=UTF-8...nG=Search+News
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #38
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast
RalphTrickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I assume Amazon is going to buy capacity from existing cell phone providers, but I have no idea how this will be paid for (subscription, bundled in the price of the downloaded content, etcetera).
That's going to be the kicker for me. That and whether I can upload my own content as well as downloading theirs.
RalphTrickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #39
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
So the way that works is: I pay for EVDO so I can pay Amazon for books I can only read on their reader?

How many people would actually do that?

And, separate question: Would someone please explain to me about the Google Books thing? Quite a few Google Books in the public domain are available right now as PDF downloads. How is the link between the Kindle and Google Books different?

(Does anyone else have Doctor Who flashbacks with the name Kindle? I keep thinking of the Davison episode Kinda.)
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:16 AM   #40
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Amazon KINDLE e-book due next month

I wonder how well this will sell...

http://www.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_6815033

Thanks,
Fabian.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:19 AM   #41
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
This is just another reprint of the NYTimes article.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:37 AM   #42
NatCh
Gizmologist

Don't those "journalists" do any actual reporting on their own any more?
Old 09-08-2007, 12:42 AM   #43
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
So the way that works is: I pay for EVDO so I can pay Amazon for books I can only read on their reader?

How many people would actually do that?
Never underestimate the capacity for human beings to do dumb stuff. Particularly in large numbers.

Seriously, though, that's not too frightfully different from any number of arrangements that lots of folks buy into now. It either is genuinely worth it to them or they never take the time to consider what it's costing them so they're in it whether it's worth it to them or not.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:41 AM   #44
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think the popularity will come down to the same three factors as usual: variety of content, price, and ease of use. The direct connection to Amazon, while limiting, could be good for ease of use, but I don't think Mobipocket has enough content yet (and right now, you don't see Mobi ebooks from the regular Amazon site -- and the Mobi site isn't so easy to use). That leaves price -- Mobi prices aren't any worse than the rest of the market (or not much worse, anyway), but not really competitive with paper books, either. The price would have to come WAY down for anyone to be willing to pay US$400-500 up front for a single-purpose device. As in, practically free. But since EVDO will have its own cost, I don't think that's going to play out.

The only way I see this working is if they get a couple of major textbook publishers on board-- at greatly reduced costs. I just paid nearly US$70 for ONE textbook. If textbooks were something like US$10-20 on the Kindle, a full-time student in the US could recover their investment in the first year. But the only way I see the textbook publishers going in that direction is if the DRM is time-limited.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:41 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
The price would have to come WAY down for anyone to be willing to pay US$400-500 up front for a single-purpose device.
What do you mean by "a single purpose device"? I paid a lot more than that for my Sony Reader, which is equally "single purpose"!