Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 PM   #31
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
I agree as far as copyright notice not necessarily implying that the work has been infringed. And that most works will have a notice and a date. However, a work does not have to have a notice to be copyrighted.
I'm aware of that. But the original post implied that a copyright notice was an indication of infringement. It would be nice if it were that simple.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:20 AM   #32
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I'm aware of that. But the original post implied that a copyright notice was an indication of infringement. It would be nice if it were that simple.
______
Dennis
Sorry - should've realized you did.

It would have been nice, also, if the initial notice to scribd had been perfectly correct. And if both sides had paid a little better attention.

This was the first I'd heard of SFWA taking copyright protection into its' hands. Does anyone know if this was their first attempt?

(I don't know whether to label it a siege, a foray, a crusade, or a jihad.... But somehow quagmire seems appropriate.)
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2007, 02:56 AM   #33
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
Sorry - should've realized you did.
No offense taken, and no apology needed.

Quote:
It would have been nice, also, if the initial notice to scribd had been perfectly correct. And if both sides had paid a little better attention.
It didn't even have to be perfectly correct. But if you are aiming at specific targets, a shotgun is the wrong weapon to use.

Quote:
This was the first I'd heard of SFWA taking copyright protection into its' hands. Does anyone know if this was their first attempt?
SFWA has attempted to intervene in various matters before. Usually, they serve as an intermediary representing authors in disputes with publishers, via their Grievance Committee. One instance was years back when there were plans to put out a DVD containing back issues of The Dragon and Amazing Stories, both owned at the time by Wizards of the Coast. They weren't planning to offer additional payment for the reprints. SFWA negotiated a settlement on behalf of members who had contributed to the publications. Being SFWA, there was much internal arguing about it.

Quote:
(I don't know whether to label it a siege, a foray, a crusade, or a jihad.... But somehow quagmire seems appropriate.)
Quagmire sounds exactly right, though jihad and crusade might be appropriate, too. The positions taken by some of the folks involved seem very close to religious faith, with any questioning of the position taken as heresy and responded to in that manner.

I'm a pragmatist, and ask "What material damages have people suffered?", but I think the issue here is less material damage and more offended egos.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote