Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
csantill
csantill began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Prefered alternative to lrf?

Hi,
Being as lrf is not the most popular of widely used ebook format. When looking to purchase ebooks from vendor.
If you cannot find an ebook in lrf format, what format do you download to use with the sony reader? pdf? lit?

do ebook pdfs need to be converted for use on the Sony Reader?
csantill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Personally, I go for something that I can convert to another format, if I so choose, that might be LIT, but I prefer RTF.

I also avoid PDF e-books like the plague they are.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
PDF ebooks ... Stay away!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:00 AM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Fictionwise has started to offer LRF for their multiformat ebooks and have already converted about 8,000 of them with more to follow.

Some people buy LIT format ebooks and convert them to LRF themselves.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:02 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Fictionwise has started to offer LRF for their multiformat ebooks and have already converted about 8,000 of them with more to follow.

Some people buy LIT format ebooks and convert them to LRF themselves.
I know I do and it works really well.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
csantill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
PDF ebooks ... Stay away!
I'm starting to learn this the hard way, I have been unsuccesful viewing (and converting) the couple of pdf books I have.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
For a format I can archive on my machine, I prefer text files. They will be usable forever. They work great on my Sony Reader and give me a choice of font sizes that work well for me. Sometimes I need to run them through a filter that removes the paragraph marks at the end of lines, but that is the work of a moment.

Some have voted for a richer medium like XML, so formatting and images can be preserved. That is good if you are sure you will always have the software to interpret the files. For me, the content is paramount. I can display text on many devices -- even cheap MP4 players!
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #8
csantill

I guess my main interest is in commercial (recent) ebooks, and these are not available as txt.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
If you absolutely have to buy PDFs, there are methods outlined on this forum for converting them to other formats. The LIT files are easy to crack and convert to other formats.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
angelyne
Connoisseur
angelyne is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
I know I do and it works really well.
What do you use to convert. My preferred method is to use html2lrf to convert to Sony format, but I find that ABC Amber Lit converter makes a mess of the html code

Edit: Nevermind I believe I have found the answer.

Last edited by angelyne; 09-04-2007 at 10:40 PM.
angelyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelyne View Post
What do you use to convert. My preferred method is to use html2lrf to convert to Sony format, but I find that ABC Amber Lit converter makes a mess of the html code

Edit: Nevermind I believe I have found the answer.
I find the ABC Amber converters to just make a mess of everything. So I don't use them at all.

I use lit2lrf or break the LIT into HTML and edit as needed and then use html2lrf or I use Book Designer.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
I find the ABC Amber converters to just make a mess of everything. So I don't use them at all.

I use lit2lrf or break the LIT into HTML and edit as needed and then use html2lrf or I use Book Designer.
Why don't you load LIT straight to BD?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I do sometimes load my LIT into Book Designer to convert. But, with lit2lrf if it comes out ok then I don't have to sit here and fix mismarked ToC entries.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
angelyne
Connoisseur
angelyne is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Why don't you load LIT straight to BD?
I almost never convert a file straight to lrf. It always needs a least some tweaking, but then I like my ebooks to look as professional as I can make them. That's why I need the intermediate step of HTML.

I've stopped using ABCLIT, after I finally realized that c lit makes a much better job of it. (even though ABCLIT uses c lit)
angelyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelyne View Post
I almost never convert a file straight to lrf. It always needs a least some tweaking, but then I like my ebooks to look as professional as I can make them. That's why I need the intermediate step of HTML.

I've stopped using ABCLIT, after I finally realized that c lit makes a much better job of it. (even though ABCLIT uses c lit)
I've noticed that while the ABC Amber converters work, they seem to make a mess of the output. So I've given up on them for sure.

Sometimes lit2lrf will work brilliantly with just a tweak maybe of the font size if anything. other times I'll just use Book Designer and just need to tweak the titles. But either way it's fairly easy to convert LIT to LRF.