Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #31
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
They did say that we would get a firmware update, didn't they?
I did see it mentioned - but have not seen it yet. I also have to say that the new software is not very stable. I tried dragging and dropping a collection from my library to the Reader and it crashed the software every time.

I ended up having to sync it to the SD card to get it onto the Reader.

It looks better, but I don't know that that's enough.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #32
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
LOL, your clever plan has worked, VR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I'm hoping this is an indication that readers will now actually support full justification for epub's.
there's no reason they shouldn't, as long as sony updates their epub renderer. the opus supports justification for epubs. adobe added that to their sdk a while ago, if i'm not mistaken.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #33
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I did see it mentioned - but have not seen it yet. I also have to say that the new software is not very stable. I tried dragging and dropping a collection from my library to the Reader and it crashed the software every time.

I ended up having to sync it to the SD card to get it onto the Reader.

It looks better, but I don't know that that's enough.
That's good to know. As I've said a few times already, I've never been able to get sync to work. Lately Ebook Library freezes on my whenever I download books to my reader. I have to use Task Manager to actually close the program and then reboot my system, EVERYTIME! It's incredibly annoying.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #34
nishnabek
nishnabek began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
My impression is that only the 500 needs a firmware update to handle epub. The other models have had new firmware available for a while...

Also my 2.5 library software still says that no updates are available on my PC.

Here is some detail regarding the 3.0 library software:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sup...pl?info_id=368
nishnabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #35
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
The pim.dll doesn't mention the prs-500 yet, so if an epub firmware update is coming for the 500 it won't be today/soon, as it will require a new version of the EBL software. Btw, it also doesn't mention the Daily Reader.

Last edited by Who are you?; 08-25-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #36
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
But my 700 needs a firmware update to handle the dictionary support I desire!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #37
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, nishnabek!

We're actually waiting for a firmware update to allow for a dictionary look-up capability (among other things) that was mentioned in an earlier Sony announcement.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #38
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishnabek View Post
My impression is that only the 500 needs a firmware update to handle epub. The other models have had new firmware available for a while...

Also my 2.5 library software still says that no updates are available on a PC.

Here is some detail regarding the 3.0 library software:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sup...pl?info_id=368
I had to download the 3.0 from the direct link. My 2.5 didn't show any updates either. However, when I did install the 3.0, it recognized my existing installation and did an update which kept all my settings.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #39
nishnabek

Quote:
I had to download the 3.0 from the direct link. My 2.5 didn't show any updates either. However, when I did install the 3.0, it recognized my existing installation and did an update which kept all my settings.
My upgrade appears to have gone smoothly too.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #40
nishnabek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, nishnabek!

We're actually waiting for a firmware update to allow for a dictionary look-up capability (among other things) that was mentioned in an earlier Sony announcement.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #41
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I'm hoping this is an indication that readers will now actually support full justification for epub's.
Just look at the picture of new readers: http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/08/25...ition-ereader/
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #42
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre is what I organize my Library in and sync with I only use the Sony Software if I need to buy something from the Store, then it ends up in Calibre eventually. Better Software.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #43
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
Just look at the picture of new readers: http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/08/25...ition-ereader/
So those are all displaying ePub? I couldn't tell if it were ePub or LRF.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #44
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Quote:
So those are all displaying ePub? I couldn't tell if it were ePub or LRF.
It is all EPUB. If you look closely - it is the same book and LRF is always justified.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #45
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Also check out this hi-res photo. All text justified.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New_Reader_no_Cover_2pg_F_lg.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	34923  
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote